PDA

View Full Version : Will this do?

nu2mando
Jan-25-2004, 2:11pm
I am a beginner of the Mandolin and purchased a Rouge RM-100A model, It was not very expensive and I was wondering if this is ok for a beginner like me or should I put out for a $300 Models, Thanks for any input.

John Flynn
Jan-25-2004, 2:29pm
It will do fine. If you have some extra money, I would take it to an experienced mando luthier and have him do a full set up and upgrade the tuners. This would cost $100 - $125, but it would be worth it. The playability and the ability of your mando to stay in tune would be much better than any $300 mando. Then start saving your money for a move to a $750 - $1,000 mando a year or two from now. I started 11 years ago with a mando that was the equivalent of yours and that's just my opinion...

OlderThanWillie
Jan-25-2004, 2:49pm
I'd give you and the instrument a little time to get to know one another. If the mandolin stays in tune and you have built up a few calluses so you are out of the "painful" stage, and you like the sounds you are making, then start putting money aside for a better instrument. If the instrument is hard to fret and won't stay in tune, then consider a good setup done by a professional. I'd recommend taking it to a violin shop if you don't know a mandolin expert. The typical music store may or may not have access to someone who knows what they are doing. If you tell us where you live, someone from this forum will probably have a recommendation for a competant setup person in your area.

aimee
Jan-27-2004, 1:02pm
I got to take a brief test drive on a Rogue one time and thought that its owner got a pretty good value for an entry level mando.

Jan-27-2004, 1:15pm
Rogue is Musicians Friend house brand. I've had several come through here & they are a decent entry level mando.

duuuude
Jan-27-2004, 3:44pm
Rogue is Musicians Friend house brand. I've had several come through here & they are a decent entry level mando.
Dang, that's twice in one week. OK, who are you and what have you done with Dale?

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandowilli
Jan-29-2004, 11:26pm
I also started on a similar mandolin and was very satisfied in the initial learning stage. But once I realized that my playing had surpassed the level of the instrument, I became dissatisfied.

My advise is to give it hell on what you have, but keep your eyes and ears open because the day will come, if you take to the mandolin, that you will want to upgrade. And everything that you can do now to learn about the subject will have you better positioned to make the next choice a good one,

willi

Lee
Jan-30-2004, 12:01pm
Maybe Dale started eating vegan?