PDA

View Full Version : What is sooo great about Bono and U2?

mr51
Feb-09-2006, 10:41am
Not wanting to start any type of bickering back and forth, but this burning question has been on my mind for years.

Excuse me will I step up on to my soap box.

Seems lately I've been seeing the headlines "Bono does this", "Bono said this", "Bono goes here". What is so great about Bono. The way the press paints a picture of him, you'd think he was of a "higher" power.

Is he really the great humanitarian the press makes him out to be, or just another celebrity using his fame to sway people into his beleifs?

As for the band; U2, when I was younger, I bought a couple of there tapes/cds. Their music all sounds the same to me, which to me is boring. Other than being overly promoted, and shoved down our throats, whats so great about their music.

Whew, now that's off of my chest I feel better.

Steven Stone
Feb-09-2006, 10:57am
Ten Reasons Why U2 are Great:

1. They are Irish
2. They write and play original music
3. They wear leather
4. They sound like themselves
5. They have played with BB King
6. They have played at Red Rocks
7. They don't like war
8. They don't like poverty
9. They like everyone including politicians
10. Bone wears cool sunglasses and cowboy hats. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

AlanN
Feb-09-2006, 10:59am
Their music all sounds the same to me, which to me is boring.

...seems I've come across that phrase [re: bluegrass] on occasion...

Jim M.
Feb-09-2006, 11:01am
Well, they don't use a mandolin, so they can't be that good. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

kudzugypsy
Feb-09-2006, 11:10am
i think bono is legit - i've heard many say that who would know
its the hollywood crowd that are giving the legitimate humanitarians a bad rap.

i was REALLY into U2 back in the 80's when i was in HS - but the last project of theirs i bought was WAR. then they got REALLY political - not that they werent before (coming from Ireland with the civil war) but it got to where i didnt want to be preached at from a rock band. but it is better than paying $100 for a ticket to the stones show and seeing a 75 year old man shake his hips and spandex clad body around

mr51
Feb-09-2006, 11:21am
...seems I've come across that phrase [re: bluegrass] on occasion...
Well, I have to agree, must be why I don't care for traditional bluegrass.

glauber
Feb-09-2006, 11:22am
Basically, dude, they don't suck.

mad dawg
Feb-09-2006, 11:27am
Steven's comprehensive list and Glauber's concise summary pretty well speak for me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

(However, after reading Jim's post, I might have to reconsider my position on them. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif)

James P
Feb-09-2006, 11:53am
They've got The Edge. It's taken me a really long time to come around, but my wife's appreciation thru saturation plan seems to be working. That guy is an amazing player.

PhilGE
Feb-09-2006, 12:32pm
I met the guys one night after their show in St. Louis, MO. on their first tour in the US (really small venues). They were just plain guys, but decent folk who played some great music. A female friend (who Bono pulled on stage to dance) went back to their hotel with them - and nothing happened and they sent her home at a decent time. Yeah, I've got respect for them.

Michael H Geimer
Feb-09-2006, 12:32pm
What about Dylan, or PPM, or any of those free-luvin' hippie, protest types? I don't see much difference between Bono's (ahem) "work" and say ... the Lennon/Oko sleep-in for peace. (Yeah ... let's stay in bed all day doing *that* for world peace ... that'll work) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Like it or not ... Music and Politics have not been been the same since The Great Folk Scare of the 60's.

It's nice when people try to create positive change in the world ... but I sure find it annoying to hear in song.

Ken Sager
Feb-09-2006, 12:42pm
Yeah, we need fewer songs about positive change and more about murder and mayhem. When they sing a song about killing a girl down by the river I'll be a fan.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tim
Feb-09-2006, 12:43pm
They are great because people like their creative efforts. #Doesn't matter that other people don't like it. #I don't buy the "over promoted, shoved down our throat" logic. #That might hold for a group that has a relatively short reign of popularity but I don't think that holds up for a group with long term success.

FWIW I don't think I could name or recognize a U2 song if I heard it.

glauber
Feb-09-2006, 1:01pm
FWIW I don't think I could name or recognize a U2 song if I heard it.
You probably could, though.

U2 is one of those rare groups that seems to have it all: great musicianship, genuinely nice personalities, great songs, great writing, depth and breadth, coolness, charisma, a desire to make a difference. I don't like everything they do, but i can't deny their quality.

glauber
Feb-09-2006, 1:05pm
It's probably best to make your own mind, though. Get one of their albums (Joshua Tree is a good one, but i even like their newer stuff, like "Pop"), and listen to it, carefully.

Tim
Feb-09-2006, 1:33pm
Actually, I am sure I've heard (and probably liked) U2 but I wouldn't associate the name of the group with that song I liked.

Michael H Geimer
Feb-09-2006, 1:54pm
I read a snipet from Bono the other day where he claimed the other guys in the band would rather *not* be seen as activists ... that it's really just Bono himself who's crazy that way.

Joshua Tree is the sort of album that *ought* to have mandolin!

Dave Gumbart
Feb-09-2006, 3:35pm
Well, I know for me (and presumably a lot of other people at the Cafe), attending a live performance of an artist/band is the best way to experience the music. I've always liked U2, but was never a huge fan. But I got a chance to see them in Hartford maybe 3 - 4 years ago. A friend had a ticket and wanted to know if I was interested. Sure! Heck, I've even been blown away by seeing a local, small-time rap/funk band play live. So having known of U2's live performances and the interaction with the audience, I was definitely up for that.

Holy cow. Some may question this analogy, but it was similar to seeing the Grateful Dead live. The band isn't the show - the band and audience together are the show. And the energy between U2 and its audience was unbelievable. Everyone up immediately as the concert started, and I don't think too many people sat down once that night. It was great.

Do I like U2 better now that I've seen them live? Absolutely. Are they a favorite at this point? Can't really say so. But they can play up a storm, and Bono does have a very good voice. As for the politics? Hey, that's everyone's own call. But on the music front, they know how to deliver the goods. Can't ask for much more than that.

As for that U2 Red Rocks show that they filmed so long ago? My brother is in it. The night was rainy, and it was not sold out (or at least not fully attended - U2 was not huge at this point). Since that show was being filmed, the promoters wanted it to look like a full crowd, so everyone was asked to come down front (even with general admission, not everyone is interested in being right up there). My brother can identify himself, mostly because of the color of his umbrella!

kyblue
Feb-09-2006, 4:27pm
Their song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is one of my favorite songs of any genre. #

Paula

p.s. Now that I think about it, isn't that a great theme for MAS?

Plamen Ivanov
Feb-09-2006, 4:51pm
I`m one of those who like U2 and think that they are a great band - great indivuduals, great musicians, great compositions, great lyrics. Songs like "One" and let`s say "Elevation" just cannot sound the same. I would recommend also "Achtung Baby" as one of their emblematic albums. I believe that their civil attitude is #sincere. Even if it`s not, I like to read (listen) about it rather than to read/listen about Mariah Carey`s new clothes.

Good luck!

PatrickH
Feb-09-2006, 6:28pm
Outside of the fact that they are arguably the greatest frickin rock band I have ever heard with some of the most poetic and rememberable music I know of, that they have won a cuzillion grammy's, that Bono spends a great deal of his own time lobbying world leaders on behalf of the poor and overlooked, I can't think of anything that makes them special.

mandelect
Feb-09-2006, 7:12pm
Always thought he was a bit of a 'tosser' - ever since I heard about his arrest in SF in 1987, for graffiti on a statue. I think his "holier than thou" attitude stinks after displaying that kind of disrespectful behaviour. Yeah, there are a couple of good tunes in his back catalogue, but he doesn't get my respect.

Avi Ziv
Feb-09-2006, 8:08pm
I think that a lot of credit has to be given to Daniel Lanois. As far as I'm concerned, he is responsible for creating (or directing them towards) a distinct Sound. In my book Lanois is gold. Check him out! In time, people may or may not remember what Bono said in press conferences (not to take anything away from his intentions) but what people will remember is the Joshuah Tree project.

Avi

jim simpson
Feb-09-2006, 8:12pm
"Bono's friendship with former Sen. Jesse Helms the North Carolina Republican".
I had read where Jesse Helms was invited backstage at a recent U2 concert to join Bono for dinner. I believe they became friends after working together on an Aids initiative. You probably couldn't find two people more different polically, culture wise, etc. yet a common ground led to a friendship.
How many of today's entertainers would give respect to politico's on the other side of the fence.
From what I hear of Bono, he seems to be earning his cred! #Most folks in entertainment have done embarrasing things. At 46 I would think he's matured a bit.
As a died in the wool bluegrasser, my favorite recording of U2 is Achtung Baby.

Avi Ziv
Feb-09-2006, 8:22pm
Speaking of Mr. Helms....Does anyone remember Loudon Wainwrite III coming on a the David Sandborn (amazing, if you ask me) music TV show in the late 1980's and singing the following ?

"If Jesse don't like it then it's prob'ly not art
Jesse knows what's good Ol' Jesse is smart
And if you don't like that don't feel sad
'Cause the art that you like is probably bad
Grandma Moses, she's Ok
Never exposes anything; everything's far away
And the statue of David's all right with Jesse
'Cause Michelangelo gave him such a tiny pee-pee

If Jesse don't like it, it don't stay;
get it out of the museum, get it out of there today
Jesse's fav'rite painting is the one of the clown
with the daisy in his hand and a tear rollin' down

In the kindergarten years ago, Jesse got rude
He took a red Crayola and he drew a nude
And the teacher took a ruler to Jesse's behind
She beat his butt but she ruin'd his mind

Jesse prob'ly didn't like Picasso
But neither did the dictator Franco
And I know about art but I've got to take a hike
If I like somethin' that Jesse don't like

If Jesse thinks it's dirty it don't get any funds
They use the taxpayer's money on tobacco and guns
Your freedom of expression is bein' denied;
But if you're not sure what you like then just let Jesse decide

Don't photograph a #####; don't paint a breast
Don't write about the truth because it might offend Jesse
And don't tell it like it is, and don't show where it's at
'Cause Jesse don't like it and that is that."

Later on he released it on his "Social Studies" CD, I think

Avi

mando bandage
Feb-09-2006, 9:25pm
Irish tenor

R

Scott Tichenor
Feb-09-2006, 9:51pm
No mandolin content, borderline political post, user who won't sign their name. This thread is closed.