PDA

View Full Version : Don't like the way your mandolin sounds?

mr51
Feb-07-2006, 10:48am
I sure all of the "old timers" know this, but for us newer folks this may be a simple fix for that mandolin that just doesn't have "the sound" that we're looking for. #

Over the years of messing with acoustic guitars, I've collected a lot of different picks. #Last night, while messing with my mandolin, I started out using one brand of pick, then had to answer a phone call. #When I returned, I picked up a different pick. #There was a noticable difference in the sound. #So I decided to try a few more different picks. #The results were amazing; or at least to me. #

I tried everything from very thin picks (.38mm) to the heavy National thumb pick. #

The picks that I found that suited my taste for sound and feel were in the .50mm range. #One is a Dunlop Tortex and the other is a Fender Tortiseshell Medium.

The next time your in a music shop, pick up one of several different styles and brands of picks. #This experiment shouldn't cost but a few dollars, but may greatly improve the sound of your mandolin.

ab4usa
Feb-07-2006, 11:09am
Compared to MAS, PAS (pick aquisition syndrome) is a real bargin. My experience is that they will all sound a bit different and it's a fun experiment.

Chip Booth
Feb-07-2006, 12:08pm
I often tell my students that a new pick is the 25˘ way to buy a new instrument.

Chip

bjc
Feb-07-2006, 12:13pm
I always go back to my ProPlec, but I have tons of picks that I play with...if nothing else it opens up to some new colors...

red7flag
Feb-07-2006, 12:24pm
While I was at SPBGMA I got two picks recommended on the cafe and have been giving them a trial run. #I got Proplec triangle and Dunlop Ultex 1.14. #I like the sound of both. #I like the weight of the Proplec in playing, but not the size, it feels too big. #I would have preferred a more pointed tip, that is just my preference. #I like the Dunlop. Sounds just a tad sharper in sound, but I like the feel of playing it more. #In the end, I will mostly stay with stay with my old reliable, the Dunlop nylon (that is the dark grey/blue one) Big Stubby 3.00 the best for sound and feel. #But have only had the others for a couple of days. #So we'll see. #The Proplec and the Ultex are the best alternatives I have tried so far.
Tony

250sc
Feb-07-2006, 12:25pm
mr51,

Your absolutly right. In case you haven't stumbled on how thickness, material and shape effect tone I think you'll find: Round shape and heavy thickness will give you a warmer tone with less high frequencies and pointy thiner picks will emphisize the high frequencies.

You should also note that high frequencies cut through the mix better than warm, lower frequencies so if your in a too loud jam you might grab a pick that emphisized the highs a little more. The tone might not be what you'd like but you will be able to be heard better.

Steve Farling
Feb-07-2006, 2:17pm
Tony, you might try one of the Proplec guitar shape picks. They are a little more pointier, but yet a little rounded on the tip. Don't get the teardrop though. I ordered a couple, and they were square on the edges. I don't know if they were supposed to be this way or what. I've never seen any other picks made this way.

red7flag
Feb-07-2006, 2:29pm
Steve,
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered some from Jazzmando.com
Tony

FlawLaw
Feb-07-2006, 3:34pm
About a year ago I ordered some TI strings from Mandohack and he put in a Dunlop Ultex 1.14 pick. I misplaced it and then found it the other day and love this thing. I will have to get some more or just not lose this one. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mrt10x
Feb-07-2006, 6:00pm
its interesting that I dont hear nearly as much of a difference on my guitar as I do on the mando with different pics. I am sure there is an obvious answer for this... like maybe my hearing sucks http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Keith Erickson
Feb-10-2006, 11:08am
Interesting and educating thread-

Observation:

I've found that the Pro-plec 1.5mm works best for me. #I love the way it sounds to me. #I feel that I'm able to "pull" sounds and "manage" tones. #I also like the way, I can get that "woody" thump and pop.

However it seems that besides thickness, the material that the pick is made of could be another part of the pick equation.

I always feel that if something isn't broke, then don't fix it. HOWEVER.... the 1.5 mm has never let me down. With that being said I am mildly curious to experiment with other picks that are made with different material. #The one thing I will not budge on is that I will not want to go any thinner than 1.5mm. #Personally I've tried them and it just doesn't feel right.

Question:

Any suggestions on what brands or materials to check out?

Much oblidged
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

GeoMandoAlex
Feb-10-2006, 12:22pm
Question:

Any suggestions on what brands or materials to check out?

Much oblidged
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
I would try the Wegens M150.

For different material, you can try fossilized ivory, horn, etc. Tortis makes some "close to the real thing" which are pretty pricey.

I add/edit the list as I remember.

250sc
Feb-10-2006, 2:50pm
I use Wegens M150 too.

edawg
Feb-10-2006, 9:05pm
yes, the sound was different like night and day
went from heavy fender to the round golden gate (grisman pick?)

merv
Feb-10-2006, 10:54pm
Being a por boy have gone that route . Don't believe it look in my mando case , you will find Fender heavys , Golden Gates , Dunlop Delrin in 1.5 and 2 mm , ultex in .6 ,.74 , 1.0 , 1.14 tear drop style , ultex 1.14 triangle and a little stubby in 3mm .

Keith Erickson
Feb-12-2006, 6:54pm
I've been using the same pro-plec 1.5 mm pick for the last year. I've "used" this pick and feel very comfortable with it.

The funny thing is that I used to go through picks like mad on the guitar.

Now my silly question is since my pick lóóks a little bit distressed, could my distressed pick also contribute to the sound that I am pulling from the mando?

Much oblidged http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Hal Loflin
Feb-12-2006, 9:17pm
I have also noticed the ability to change the sound of a mandolin by testing picks and I have tried a bunch (PAS I guess). I currently have the Golden Gate, Dawg, Wegen 1.5, Tortis, real T****se and have recently landed on the Dunlop Ultex tri corner 1.14 and the Proplec 1.5 tri corner.

I did not like the points or the large size but immediately loved the mellow sound. So I traced the outline of a Golden Gate on both and cut/filed/sanded them down and find the altered models hard to beat. They also maintained the same tone but are more comfortable and easier to play.

Hal

Tom F
Feb-13-2006, 8:49am
For Hal, or for anyone who can answer, I am interested in the sound you are getting from the Pro-Plec (never tried one) compared to the Ultex 1.14. Also, what is the sound of the Pro-Plec compared to Golden Gate mando pics or even the Dawg.

I use the Ultex 1.14s for guitar; I round them to a shape between the Ultex triangle tip and a Dawg pic, i.e. a compromise between what was in your picture Hal. For a little more brightness in jams, I sand in a Wegen style speed bevel on just one corner of the tri, works great. During practice or with a small group, I use a Golden Gate mando or Wegen mando pick for the darker tone. I find myself wishing Ultex was available in 1.3-1.5 and heavier, what great tone that would produce! I even though about gluing two 0.73s or 0.88s together.

I also have 4-5 different pick configurations at my finger tips when I practice and actually enjoy changing up during the session. I think it helps with overall technique and tone development. And it certainly makes you think. I agree with what others said, you buy these increadibly beautiful and great sounding instruments, and in the end, the creative use of a pick & technique (in the right hands... not mine) can make an un-assuming instrument sound as good or often better.

Tha enjoyable madness of it all.

Jasper
Feb-15-2006, 10:55pm
Well, I have to get in on this one...while I was engaging in the height of my MAS, I indulged in buying picks everywhere I went. It is cheap to walk away with a hand full of picks of different materials and thicknesses. I started off 3 years ago with a .60mm nylon pick and have worked my way up to a 1.5mm Proplec and my favorite, a 1.5mm Tortis brand (b'day present). I believe that the sound that you desire should determine the pick. If you are playing the hard driving bluegrass, a heavy pick is great, but for a more mellow tone with less volume (on a song like Amazing Grace or similar), something a little more flexible and thinner like a 1mm Tortex pick works nicely. So I play around with anything from 1mm to 1.5mm. You never know where you'll be when you have to just pick up a whatever is available and use it as a pick. Flexibility is the key.

Kenith
Feb-17-2006, 10:14am
Ok, Please don't flame me for asking the dumbest question of the year. But where do tortoise shell picks come from? We catch "cooters" here to sell for the meat. I assume real tortoise shell comes from something other that the plain old snapping turtle, cooter, or pond turtle.

250sc
Feb-17-2006, 10:28am
I believe they come from endangered sea turtles.

If you must use them make sure the material is recycled from old furniture and such.

ira
Feb-17-2006, 10:32am
after a few years of pick searching. i have settled on one for quite some time- the ultex tri .88 ( i don't love the super heavy picks). regardless of the thickness you enjoy, i think the ultex offers good natural grip, choice of corners- no matter where you pick it up, and a great action across the strings. mostly, it offers volume and tone, accentuating power without harshness (wow, i sound like a commercial).

Lane Pryce
Feb-17-2006, 10:42am
Any of you have any experience with the picks made from old piano ivory? Just a tad curious as to how they sound and feel. Lp