PDA

View Full Version : My IV kit strung up in the white

Darren Kern
Feb-06-2006, 10:33pm
Here it is, I got it strung up late Friday night/early Saturday morning. I am posting some rambling comments about it on the builder's forum if you're interested. MOP inlay has been cut but not inlaid yet, I'll be doing that soon.

Darren Kern
Feb-06-2006, 10:34pm
Back pic

Darren Kern
Feb-06-2006, 10:35pm
Headstock

otterly2k
Feb-06-2006, 10:37pm
Great work, DArren!!!

dstretch
Feb-07-2006, 12:07am
Hey Darren

Looks really good. Did you leave the binding on the fingerboard? How does it look with the BWB on the body? Is it much whiter than the fingerboard binding?

Last thing, I read a post from you a few days ago. You said that the tuner holes were an issue. If you bring your strings to the inside, clockwise on the E and A strings, and counter clockwise on the D and G strings you will not have the issue with your strings touching the tuner post on the next string.

I attached a pic with an example.

Great job again, and make sure you post some finished pictures.

Danny

Darren Kern
Feb-07-2006, 12:19am
Haha, I was hoping nobody would notice that after the fact. #A buddy pointed that out to me yesterday. #That's what can happen when you string up an instrument at 6:30 on a Saturday morning after working on it all night #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif # Thanks for the compliments, y'all.

EDIT: #Forgot to answer about the binding... Yes, I left the white binding on the neck. I think it looks just fine with the WBW on the body and white only on the neck and headstock. #I think it works on an A style but I can't picture it on an F. #If this were an F, I think I would've at least triple bound the headstock. #The whites all seem to be pretty close to each other. #For the body binding, I used ABS plastic from LMII. #For anyone trying to decide, I would highly recommend staying away from both ABS and fiber binding, and just going with celluloid.

Antlurz
Feb-07-2006, 3:16am
Looking good so far. That piece of wood on the back should really come out nice if you are careful.

Ron

sledge
Feb-07-2006, 4:59am
Looking good Darren! That back wood looks really nice. The back on mine has a few stripes but nothing like yours. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Keep up the good work.