PDA

View Full Version : I have a very good Michael Kelly!

johnwalser
Feb-06-2006, 10:08am
I got one of the very first Michael Kelly Firefly Flames with an Allen tailpiece direct from Tracy before he went the dealership route. It sounded good from the beginning and I eventially added a Sullivan ebony bridge. Last summer I attended Michael Lewis’s GREAT workshop on bridge fitting and Friday had Michael work on the nut to improve playability. Michael felt I maybe payed a little bit too much attention at the workshop and the bridge was fit very well. I also thinned out the bridge base top to reduce weight and loosened the seams of the instrument, all of which improved volume.
At LoarFest/SuperGrass this weekend I played a half dozen Loars, F4s, plus a number of Collings, Webers, a SilverAngel and just a ton of other instruments. My little ole MK sounded just as good and indeed had more volume than most of the others.
I asked a lot of folks to play my humble little instrument including Scott Tichenor, the Cherryholm boys (one watched - one played...I get them confused) and Mike Compton. Several fellows had Michael Kelly mandolins and the general feeling was that this just might be the best $800 mandolin around. Mike Compton could not believe the responsiveness and said that normally he can’t get much sound out of Thomastik strings and seemed quite impressed. Scott even told me he had intended to be complimentary (no matter what it sounded like) before trying my instrument and his his word was “Wow!

Would I recommend you rush out a get an MK without playing it? Probably not. I don’t think they make many that sound like mine. I owned a Rigel and a Weber I sold because I didn’t like them and I’ve played some Gibsons that seemed somewhat less than stellar. On the other hand, every Michael Lewis I have played has been wonderful and that Brentrup F4 I played would certainly be a welcome guest in my home.

John

clarksavage
Feb-06-2006, 10:44am
There's a fine sounding Legacy-O nearby in Morro Bay that I've been tempted to pick up. I've played several others that were just ... well ... awful. This one is rich and nearly "tubby" when played right, it stands out from the crowd. Not bad at all for the price. I see just a little "ripple" in the top that worried me, right at the edge of the bridge where it hits the top. Probably the bridge wasn't properly shaped to the top. But man, a good sounding mandolin (and setup is OK as it stands!)

Before I could decide on that MK, I played a Weber Aspen 1 (the little flattop made of maple) and it took 10 minutes to whip out the plastic for that one. I would not have gone wrong on that MK, though.

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Feb-06-2006, 10:53am
I also have received (100 % unsolicited) compliments from folks owning much better equipment.

I have been pleasantly surprised how good it sounds when not playing and just (being in front) & listening.

I am satisfied that I received my $$ worth.

Stillpicking
Feb-06-2006, 10:53am
Thanks John for a very interesting review.

I own 2 MKs a very early "Butter Fly " with similar upgrades as you have done on your MK and I also own an MK "Legacy O" with upgrades. I had more than one very good mando player play my MKs and all have liked them alot. Matter of fact one guy who switched with me at a jam had an Eastman and was asking me if I wanted to maybe trade for keeps. I am sure he was thinking my MK and some cash for his Eastman.

I still got both of my MKs and I am keeping them.

By the way I too have used the TIs on both MKs and they really respond well to them. I am now trying the LaBella MD 20s at about half the price of the TIs. The only thing I don't like about the LaBella's is the E and A strings are lighter than the TI starks. I just might end up going back to the TIs once I use up the LaBella MD 20s. Wish LaBella would come out with a heavy set as their MD 20s are medium and a bit too light.

Mike

johnwalser
Feb-06-2006, 11:35am
Mike,
I played a couple of Loars (owned by the same gentleman) with 12 and 17 guage E and A strings. I liked the feel and will be trying them with my Thomastik starks (Heavy) on the D and G.

Bucket,
I don't think there is "much better equipment" than my humble little MK. There are a number of really expensive instruments that sound as good (or almost as good) as my instrument.

Note: Do NOT let Mike Compton play your instrument. I'm sure he played ALL the good notes right out of my instrument and it will never sound as good again.

John

Stillpicking
Feb-06-2006, 5:15pm
Check out Compton on Hartford's great CD "Hamilton Iron Works"

Some of the best mando back up to "oldtime" fiddle that you can listen to.

Thomas
Feb-07-2006, 10:47am
I remember a while back that Ken (MandoMedic) had an MK that he said was extraordinary compared to others - he was a dealer at the time - might still be. I wanted to buy it but it was taken. I'd like to get his comments on that if he remembers it, and I'd like to read Scott's thoughts, not your interpretation of them - and I don't mean that in any way rude. Just like to hear it from him. Thanks.

Richard Russell
Feb-07-2006, 3:11pm
I had a really good Legacy Solid that I bought right before MK started selling retail. Pretty strong sound, opened up quite nice over two years. It had good fit and finish and looked great. Stayed in tune extremely well and had no problems to note. When I recently played some MK models at my local music store, I was surprised at how bad the fretboards looked and I felt they sounded terribly thin. The fit and finish was just not good. I agree that with MK mandos you really need to see and play them first. They can be a true value if you find a good one.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-07-2006, 8:03pm
That was a remarkable instrument. No question about it. I've played plenty MKs but never one that sounded that good.

Dan Adams
Feb-07-2006, 8:38pm
And to think that there are still members here that automatically discount the sound of mandolins based on the manufacturer, the era in which it was built, or the model number? #For shame! #Each instrument is individual! Still with a great sounding A-12!! Dan

Brady Smith
Feb-08-2006, 12:25am
I will be picking up my first mandolin and it's an MK in the morning. Hope it turns out as well as yours. Don't know much about mandolins to start with but it should be a fun journey learning. I've already learned a great deal from this site and will be around here often I'm sure.

johnM
Feb-09-2006, 4:28am
I got one of the very first Michael Kelly Firefly Flames with an Allen tailpiece direct from Tracy before he went the dealership route. It sounded good from the beginning and I eventially added a Sullivan ebony bridge. Last summer I attended Michael Lewis’s GREAT workshop on bridge fitting and Friday had Michael work on the nut to improve playability. Michael felt I maybe payed a little bit too much attention at the workshop and the bridge was fit very well. I also thinned out the bridge base top to reduce weight and loosened the seams of the instrument, all of which improved volume. #
At LoarFest/SuperGrass this weekend I played a half dozen Loars, F4s, plus a number of Collings, Webers, a SilverAngel and just a ton of other instruments. My little ole MK sounded just as good and indeed had more volume than most of the others.
I asked a lot of folks to play my humble little instrument including Scott Tichenor, the Cherryholm boys (one watched - one played...I get them confused) and Mike Compton. Several fellows had Michael Kelly mandolins and the general feeling was that this just might be the best $800 mandolin around. Mike Compton could not believe the responsiveness and said that normally he can’t get much sound out of Thomastik strings and seemed quite impressed. Scott even told me he had intended to be complimentary (no matter what it sounded like) before trying my instrument and his his word was “Wow!

Would I recommend you rush out a get an MK without playing it? Probably not. I don’t think they make many that sound like mine. I owned a Rigel and a Weber I sold because I didn’t like them and I’ve #played some Gibsons that seemed somewhat less than stellar. On the other hand, every Michael Lewis I have played has been wonderful and that Brentrup F4 I played would certainly be a welcome guest in my home.

John
I have a couple questions on the first post of this subject. You say that you
"thinned out the bridge base top to reduce weight. How and why did you do that and what did it do to the sound.

Also you said you "loosened the seams of the instrument to inprove volume" Again how and why.

I'm interested in learning the mechanics of the sound production and any help or references would be great.

Thanks
john

steve in tampa
Feb-09-2006, 5:25am
I've got a Dragonfly 11 that I bought new in '04. Played it a lot outdoors, in Florida heat and humidity, and around campfires in what cold we get here. One night while playing out doors it "opened" dramatically. The volume is close, but not quite what some of my higher end instruments have, but the tone is very acceptable, and the playability is great.

Brady Smith
Feb-09-2006, 12:04pm
If your looking for an excellent MK, just picked one up yesterday at the mandolin store. Dennis has another one on ebay. The item # is 7388913460.

mrbook
Feb-09-2006, 12:34pm
I too would like to know what is meant by "loosening the seams." When that happens to an instrument of mine I usually get out the glue.

johnM
Feb-09-2006, 12:52pm
I had a Martin that I loosened up the seems and it costed me a bundle and it didn't help the sound a bit.
jm

johnwalser
Feb-09-2006, 1:25pm
JohnM,
Here is a picture of bridge. This started out as a conventional squared off Loar type bridge and I took the edges off with file and smoothed with sandpaper to reduce weight. I talked with Michael Lewis about this and he says such a procedure will not work with every instrument, but individual instruments react differently. I guess that's why we call them "individual instruments".

Loosening the seams is a type of massaging of an instrument to break loose the excess glue that holds the top and back very rigid and doesn't allow them to move and vibrate. I wouldn't recommend this to the faint of heart and is best done by someone experienced working with musical instruments. I started working on several cheap instruments and still about had a heart attack the first time I heard a loud popping sound. Push too hard and you could break something necessary to make music with the dang thing.
John

mrbook
Feb-09-2006, 3:55pm
I've heard of rounding the bridge corners, and tried it once on a banjo bridge. I didn't get the dramatic change I expected, but I'm sure it works on some instruments.

The "massaging" does make me nervous. I've worked on a lot of instruments without fear, but I don't think I'll try it. I don't think I want my wife to catch me doing it, either.

johnM
Feb-09-2006, 5:23pm
Wow thats some picture. I might try the bridge thing but I think i'll investigate the loosening thing a little further. Where did you find the information on the procedure?

arbarnhart
Feb-09-2006, 9:11pm
I won't attempt to steal thunder by going into much detail but I also own an instrument even cheaper than yours that impresses me (not hard to do) as well as others with more experience. Mine probably wouldn't elicit a "wow" from our landlord; maybe just a "not bad". http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Anyway, I think the high volume manufacturers get enough lumber that it isn't picked through and every now and then a top that a high end builder would be happy to have gets carved by a robot or factory worker. I think that accounts for ones like mine. The same thing happens with backs and sides so sometimes the stars align and out pops your amazing mando. A little after production work doesn't hurt either.

Kevin Briggs
Feb-10-2006, 4:34pm
Hey there. I played a Michael Kelly at the Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival this summer, compliments of Appalachian Musical Instrument Shop (or something like that). It was very nice and wasn't worlds away from my nice maple Bitteroot from Weber.

I'd buy one for sure if I had $1,000 to spend on a second mandolin. However, I'm not sure $1,000 is a fair price for a mandolin I want to take camping and what not. My $65 second hand Kentucly is good for that.