PDA

View Full Version : mandolin prices 10 years ago

Danny Clark
Feb-03-2006, 5:26pm
I was looking thru some old Elderly and Grhun catalogs today that i have ,i was surprised at how mandolin prices have changed ,most anything else has not,Martins have only went up a couple of hundred bucks from then to now,picks and strings are basically the same .
a 1995 Elderly catalog offered a new Apitius F-5 for $2500
a new Stiver F-5 for $2300 and you could get yourself a top of the line F5L Gibson for $3600
Grhun was offering a very clean 1929 Fern for $25000
How it has changed
Danny

scgc.om
Feb-04-2006, 12:43pm
"How it has changed"

Face it - We can thank Mando Cafe for this . . . [not trying to "stir up dirt" - just state the obvious]

glauber
Feb-04-2006, 12:50pm
Didn't we just celebrate the Cafe's 10th birthday? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Ted Eschliman
Feb-04-2006, 3:18pm
How has it changed? There are more spankin' good, talented builders than ever before, encouraged and connected to an increasingly savvy, global group of hungry, rabid mando-enthusiasts...

Rich opportunity for players, builders, any who want to know more about these eight-string wonders, no longer bridled by limitations of geography or border. Access to information, advice, support and the chance to dig in and/or dream.

One could complain about the resulting high end of the price spectrum expanding into the stratosphere, lest we not forget the exponentional growth of entry-level and incredibly great mid-level product that accompanies this trend.

neal
Feb-04-2006, 6:05pm
Oh Ted, you're such a salesman.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

sgarrity
Feb-04-2006, 6:16pm
I got into bluegrass and mandolins back in 1997. I'd sure like to be able to travel back in time with about $150,000. I'd have a house full of nice mandolins.:p

ManjoMan
Feb-04-2006, 10:48pm
In 1996 (if I am not off by a year), Doyle Lawson offered me the Loar he now owns for $38,000. If I would have only known what was going to happen!