PDA

View Full Version : Two Nights of Yonder

dillo
Feb-03-2006, 4:02pm
the traditionalists may be cringing, but I for one am very excited that we get two nights of Yonder Mountain String Band down here in texas this weekend! WooooooHooooooo!!!!

gschmidt
Feb-03-2006, 4:41pm
Sounds like fun! YMSB is the reason I'm playing mandolin today. Now, I have of course branched out, but that's where I started. I saw them and basically went out and bought a mandolin the next day.

TeleMark
Feb-03-2006, 5:15pm
Have a blast! Saw them in San Diego last spring (tax day, actually) and looking forward to Telluride. Great shows!

dillo
Feb-03-2006, 5:58pm
Now if I could only get Railroad Earth to play my birthday party...hhhmmmmmmmmmmm....

ira
Feb-08-2006, 8:38am
so dillo, did they meet your expectations?

dillo
Feb-09-2006, 2:09pm
The Friday show in houston was all about Adam on guitar, who happened to play circles aroung everyone else. Jeff seemed uninspired, at best. Saturday in Austin brought sit ins by Billy Bright, who led the guys through some more traditional stuff, as well as pushed jeff to dig deeper with a little head cuttin'. Saturday was a great show, perhaps just knowing that Mr. Grisman (A much harder ticket to get) was a few miles away helped encourage them.

Tweeder
Feb-14-2006, 10:04pm
Sounds like fun! # YMSB is the reason I'm playing mandolin today.
Yonder is the reason I have started playing as well. Well I'm not actually playing yet, I ordered my first Mando today. But they are the reason I took the jump from playing the trumpet to the Mando!

gschmidt
Feb-15-2006, 9:51am
Welcome to the club Tweeder!

I made the jump from drums to mandolin just last year and can't get enough of it! It's such a cool instrument with a GREAT community here at the Cafe and tons of good music to discover. I find something new everyday.

ira
Feb-15-2006, 11:36am
gary-not to take the thread off topic, but nice sound clips on your site. waiting for that emando sound on a tune.....
whoever was singing those tunes- great voice. also liked the jerryesque solo in 2nd that emot.

gschmidt
Feb-15-2006, 12:38pm
Thanks for the kind words. Drew (who played lead on that song) is great. A fantastic improv player with a great tone. It's really fun to drum along during jams and listen to him play.