PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Instruments...putting it into perspective

Big Juan
Feb-03-2006, 2:52pm
I'm a newbie here.....been reading a lot, but not posting much. I've primarily played banjo and guitar for many, many moons and have dallied a little with mandolins from time to time and am now thinking I want to do more with them.

Prices of various instruments, services, etc. always seem to be an issue. For what it's worth, here's my take on that topic. I have spent several thousand dollars on musical instruments over the years. I haven't spent as much as a lot of people, but I've spent plenty! The way I see it, I play my instruments every day. There have been very, very few days over the past 40 years that I haven't done some picking. Very few. What else do we spend our money on that gives us so much pleasure and enjoyment? I have a 5th wheel camper I bought used for $8,000 and we probably use it 10 times a year, if that. People pay thousands of dollars for 4-wheelers, boats, snowmobiles, etc., etc., and after a few years they are worth little of nothing and they don't use them a fraction of the time that most of us use our instruments!!! Plus, if you so desire you can usually get most if not all of your money back on a quality instrument. Some will even appreciate in value. Can we say the same about other things we throw our money into?

The point here is if you enjoy playing music as much as I do, don't be afraid to sink some money into your instruments. It will probably be the best money you will ever spend. If you have your eye on a particular instrument, find a way to buy it!!! Sell something you already have, beg, borrow (don't steal!) and save until you can get it. Don't settle for something less because you won't be happy with it.

I read the post recently on the issue by the fellow who wasn't happy with the guy who no longer does the voodo thing with the Eastman Mandolins. Pay the man his money!!! Not only that, give him a tip! I'd be willing to bet this guy isn't getting rich. Most luthiers, instrument repairmen, etc. make a modest living at best doing what they do. If you find one who you are pleased with, give him a tip when he does some work for you. The next time you need some work done and need it done quickly, he'll remember you and take good care of you.

Quality Instruments are also a wonderful thing to pass on to your children. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have children that play, but I know a lot of us do. Music is a gift and fine instruments are treasures. Life is short, my friends. Enough said.

red7flag
Feb-03-2006, 3:15pm
Big Juan,
I think you are singing to the chior here. Glad to see you post. I can not agree with you more. Nothing in my life gives me more reward to the money spent, well except my puppy, than musical instruments. I thought I was pretty much done buying and then started playing the mando and MAS has hit me hard. Last year I got a Weber (that started this insanity) and then a two hour time kill at Gruhn Guitar resulted in my getting my Collings. Then after spending time at the cafe learning about all the idiosynchasies of the mando, I decided to have Don Paine make me Pomeroy. As opposed to objects, instruments are more like getting new friends. The time spent playing music can be so intiment. Maybe that is why so many of us name our instruments. The pleasure of playing together with others is simply sublime. I think for most of us here, we are thinking how we can work out getting a new mando and how we will use creative financing to get it. I have no regrets.
Tony

ronlane3
Feb-03-2006, 3:51pm
Big Juan,

What you have posted is the excuse that each of us give our significant others when we either buy or want to buy another mandolin. Welcome and thanks for posting.

mythicfish
Feb-03-2006, 4:16pm
Big Juan,

God Bless and Amen.

Curt

bjc
Feb-03-2006, 4:21pm
Juan, I will use that speech the next time I want to buy something...I hope the wife buys into it :-)

ab4usa
Feb-03-2006, 4:35pm
Daddy always said, buy a good tool for a lifetime or a cheap tool often. OOPS I forgot about MAS!

mandolooter
Feb-03-2006, 4:57pm
my wifes favorite saying...buy quaility! Thats how I got my Givens...I just used her arguement.

Michael H Geimer
Feb-03-2006, 5:05pm
I'm relieved ... there was a similiar subject line over at the UMGF a while back, but that post took a different tack and argued that *we all* should buy cheap axes and invest the rest of the dough in stocks.

Now, I'm not saying someone should divert their retirement money into a vintage instrument (not at all). But I certianly consider my 'musical investment' to be one of the wisest things I have ever done. There have been plenty of occasions when I barely scraped by because I needed to get this or that piece of gear to further my musical work. I accepted lousy paying jobs because they fit my reheasal schedule. I lived as a poor artsit for a decade while furthering my non-prof goals.

Because of my persistence with this music thing, I now 'own' a body of knowledge and experience that is more vaulable to me than any particular instrument. That knowledge is mine to keep and enjoy for the rest of my life. (stocks might very well have crumbled come '89)

There are just so many extremely valuable things in life that money just cannot measure, and cannot explain. We could certainly use an economic model that understands this Fact, and serves to expand the idea of *Value* ... so the definition of Value can become more than just something measureable or profitable in term of Money.

Non-prof motivations influence most every decision we make, but 'Consumer Confidence' is about the only abstract trait we hear discussed in the Finacial Section.

(I hear Freakonomics is a start, but it also seems a bit gimmicky to me ... haven't read it though)

- Benig

arbarnhart
Feb-04-2006, 8:02am
Benig,

Anytime anyone tells me what we *all* should do, I take it with a big grain of salt. I love music, but there are so many items (mostly family related) ahead of it that right now I am a budget. I do max out my retirement plan and I am taking the family skiing for a few days in a couple of weeks. Both of those will cost much more than I spent on instruments last year and I bought a new mando and a used tenor guitar. But these are my priorities and not anyone else's. Either extreme can be justified because it is a very personal decision.

Big Juan
Feb-04-2006, 9:46am
You're rigt, Abarnart. How a person spends their money is entirely a personal decision. I don't believe I used the word "should" anywhere in my post. Family definitely comes first when it comes to spending. We all certainly have different priorities based on a lot of different things. If a family ski trip, maxing out your retirement, etc. are your priorities, that's entirely your business. My point was that trying to save a couple hundred bucks when buying an instrument, paying for repair work, setup, etc. usually comes back to bite a person in the butt and that investing in a quality instrument is one of the best investments a person can make. That's all.

arbarnhart
Feb-04-2006, 9:54am
Big Juan,

My comments were not directed at you; they were directed at the comments Benig was paraphrasing from another thread. Your comments got me to thinking though - I have been putting all this money in that dang retirement fund for years and I haven't even used it once. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

sunburst
Feb-04-2006, 10:09am
Far be it from me to discourage anyone from planning for the future, maxing the retirement account, and providing for the security of their family, and that's not my intent at all, but,

if I get run over by a big rig next time I'm on the road, at least I've had some fine instruments in my life.

Links
Feb-04-2006, 1:19pm
John:

I hope I do get run over by a big rig! It's my only chance of ever getting even with the health insurance company that drains the coffers each month! If I had been "investing" my health insurance premium in fine instruments, I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off!

I think everyone has great points. While each person has to determine their own priorities, I like the way Big Juan thinks. If it were strictly up to me (and not my wife), I would drive a jalopy and spend my transportation money on instruments. Unfortunately, I am in a business where my clients perception is that I should be driving a nice car. I hate it, but that's the reality! Still it hasn't stopped me from buying some nice instruments this year - one of which I may tell you about at a later date! Also having a new F-5 made by an independent luthier!

gnelson651
Feb-04-2006, 3:55pm
Yes, it does all come down to a matter of priorities in ones life.

I have several mandolins that all give me pleasure. My baby is the Eastman 805, next the short scale custom I had made by a friend. I also have a F style MK and a bowlback bought off eBay for $30(it is playable). And I still have my starter Morgan Monroe as well.

Yep, for what I paid for all these instruments over a 2 year period, I could have saved for a Gidson, Webber or Collings or maybe a modest boutique mando.

But I'm happy with what I have and that is the whole point here. Yes, I still have MAS but one should always dream. Its not the money or the status mando for me, its enjoying the journey on the mandolin highway.

Clyde Clevenger
Feb-04-2006, 5:16pm
Priorities is priorities. Until my youngest graduated from college, I had four, my guitar was a Yamaha and my mandolin was an Army Navy Flatiron. Them prorities change as we get older and wiser. I can get by on school bus drivers pay so I can play music in the summer, last count we have 43 instruments in the house if you count the digerido and the banjolin. My kids will inherit no money, but a lot of high-end instruments, only two of them are pickers, so we have a will. If the family doesn't come first, there is a very high price to pay.

sean808080
Feb-04-2006, 6:41pm
good points here. great thread.....

it's true how sometimes we sweat the pennies and forget about the tens and twenties.

Links
Feb-04-2006, 7:11pm
Jim Mills' (the great banjo player with Kentucky Thunder) 401K is his stash of original prewar 5 string Mastertones. I like that way of thinking, but it would probebly make my wife a little nervous.

Although, I have managed to put away a little for retirement (if I ever do), my kids inheritance has been a college education and bringing them up to be able to support themselves. Thanks goodness they are doing that now. I would worry indeed if they were depending on what they inherit from us for their long-term support. That being said, they are going to find themselv4es one day with some mighty fine instruments!!!!