PDA

View Full Version : What to Practice?

Unseen122
Feb-02-2006, 7:49pm
Hello all, I haven't posted here in a long time, I used to play Mando now I play Tenor Banjo but really play Irish Flute the best. #For those tunes that pop up in a Session that I can't seem to get, I have decided to buy an Zouk. #Since my FAD (Flute Aqusition Disorder) has the best of me I thought it would be fun to buy some thing cheaper. #Since a lot of the the cheaper instruments are really bad or take extensive work, I have decided to build my own from the Don Kawelek kit, which I will be buying pretty soon. #So, what do you guys practice if you are not playing tunes? #I want to know what I should work on if I plan to do the usual Zouk backing, what should I Practice? #I assume chord figures should help, but what else.

Edited to fix typos.

Avi Ziv
Feb-02-2006, 8:24pm
Avery - you may want to check out "Cletic Back-Up For all Instrumentalists" #by Chris Smith. I think it has a lot of good ideas in it. I also like the Zan McLeod instructional video.

"For those tunes that pop up in a Session that I can't seem to get"

Now I know that you know... that if you posted this on thesession.org...you would be told that you should never ever (did I say never?) back up a tune that you don't know in a session.... but this place here is a little more accepting of improvisation in general so you are safer http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

It's cool that you are looking into a Zouk. I'm doing the same but putting more effort right now in my mando and tenor banjo. I'm still searching for an OM that would feel right.

Let us know how you like the kit. Karen (Otterly2K) built the OM in one of his workshops and liked it a lot.

Good luck

Avi

Unseen122
Feb-02-2006, 8:32pm
See, most people at thesession.org don't get it, they are called Fiddlers. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Of course what is the difference between picking up a tune that you have never heard and playing a backup part to a tune you have never heard? I one time started a tune and the Box player next to me picked up and a Bodhran, a Guitar or two (couldn't see Iris from where I was), and a Harp join in. I go into another tune and the Box player drops out but the rest keep on playing. Now tell me how is it that a bunch of back up guys knew a tune that the melody guys didn't? I will have to check out that book, I had seen it for sale, but I didn't know if it was any good.

Avi Ziv
Feb-02-2006, 8:38pm
If I ever manage to make it to the Friday night session, I'll bring the book with me so you can look it over.

Avi

Unseen122
Feb-02-2006, 8:49pm
There is one next week. We got some good players coming Mike Rafferty is coming in March and LE McCollough in April.

Avi Ziv
Feb-02-2006, 8:54pm
If the gods are smiling in my general direction http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Avi

Unseen122
Feb-03-2006, 3:15pm
Nobody has any thing to say?

otterly2k
Feb-06-2006, 1:15pm
Avery-
I think you'll enjoy putting together Don's kit. He'll help you as you go... and I'm happy to add my 2c, if you'd like. I have been playing my OM constantly since I brought it home, and continue to enjoy it...

re: what to practice...
I do practice playing tunes..and also chord progressions, and the moving lines (bass lines, other moving lines) that can go in between the chords or act as harmony lines. It's also good to practice the various rhythms and develop a smooth right arm technique for reels, jigs, slipjigs, hornpipes, etc... steady rhythm is key.

re: not knowing tunes... when in doubt, one can usually contribute by adding a rhythmic drone.

Unseen122
Feb-06-2006, 7:24pm
I find that I like messing with instruments just as much as I like playing them. My main reason for getting an OM or Zouk is to have something to play when I don't know the tune on Flute, so I know the rhythms well. Plus it is less frownded upon to play a drone on Zouk than on Flute http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Chord changes (like anything into E or A) are somthing I should practice, I would now but I hate chords on Banjo and plus my Banjo is being worked on (by mself of course) and I dont' want to play as I just sanded of plost of finger print dirt form the neck. I should proably try to play along with Dervish (capo up of course) as they usually have some great Zouk stuff going on.