PDA

View Full Version : hispanic folk songs of new mexico

billkilpatrick
Jan-31-2006, 11:24am
i think i posted this earlier to the classical section of the cafe but it might be of interest here as well:

an extremely generous contributor to the "fretted friends" group over on yahoo recently sent me a copy of this book - "hispanic folk songs of new mexico" compiled by a musicologist and composer named john donald robb. you can access his collection of songs - some of which, he suggests are of 16th c. spanish origin - here:

http://www.unm.edu/~rmt/archives.htm

the songs are pretty simple; "old-time" in the extreme and the univ. of new mexico - publishers of the collection - offers an interesting, easily accessible music library.

- bill

brunello97
Feb-06-2006, 10:18pm
nice collection, Bill. thanks for the link.

Mick Kennedy

billkilpatrick
Feb-07-2006, 3:31am
this guy robb is a hero. if it wasn't for him, these songs would have certainly been forgotten by now - makes you realize the difference one guy can make.

your "nome de keyboard" indicates an appreciation for wine. we live not far from montalcino. if you're looking for a quality wine without paying exorbitant brunello prices, look for the reds of monte cucco. there are areas where the brunello zone ends and monte cucco's begins - the vines on either side of the road aren't aware of the distinction.

- bill

mandolins and grapes - ahhhhh ...

LeftCoastMark
Feb-08-2006, 12:09pm
There are some wonderful recordings of traditional fiddle tunes of New Mexico that have been made by Ken and Jeannie Keppler under the band name "Bayou Seco." Ken and Jeannie live in Silver City NM, and have collected traditional songs and tunes all over that part of the country, in Mexico, and points south. Wonderful stuff.

I'm always particularly fascinated by the "ChickenScratch" tunes that come from the Tohono Oodam Indians of southcentral Arizona. Apparently the Jesuit missionaries brought the fiddle to these Indians and had them play during the Mass. Well, outside of the Mass, these Native American fiddlers created fiddle tunes that have a very unusual sound, with influences of various European musical traditions.

Some of my favorite ChickenScratch tunes to play on the mando are the Purple Lilies Polka, Peanut Shoes, and the Sonora Church Two-Step.

an uncalloused fingertip
Feb-19-2006, 9:25am
What a gift. Maybe these tunes will allow me recollect my own time in south-central New Mexico in a new way. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif