PDA

View Full Version : Exciting new Loar find!

Big Joe
Jan-31-2006, 10:23am
We just acquired a Loar that is not in the registry to broker for a gentleman. We recieved it late yesterday and set it up and played it this morning. WOW!!! It is an incredible instrument with some cool documentation. Charlie will likely have it with him at Loar Fest later this week. When we get a chance to get photos and so forth we will gladly post them. We don't think it will be availiable for very long so if anyone is interested, better get hold of me fast. It is a real joy to be part of finding one not known before.

mandolooter
Jan-31-2006, 10:42am
anybody there got a digicam? we'd all like to see it Im sure! OK...just me wants to see it... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Tom C
Jan-31-2006, 10:43am
Did the owner know what they had?

danb
Jan-31-2006, 11:23am
There will be several cameras at Loarfest, don't worry!

Dusty
Jan-31-2006, 11:53am
Hey Big Joe, You were supposed to find me a real deal on a mandolin. Thanks, I'll be by to pick it up at SPBGMA. I never dreaned you could find me such a deal for less than 5K.

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-31-2006, 12:12pm
Good going Charlie/Big Joe, I was hoping that would come to fruition

8ch(pl)
Jan-31-2006, 12:29pm
Is it going to be donated to the Cafe for the April 1st draw?

Big Joe
Jan-31-2006, 12:46pm
To everyone...especially Dusty...HA HA HA http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Charlie Derrington
Jan-31-2006, 12:52pm
It's a very interesting piece. Like Mon's, it has a guarantee label. Gold hdw., flowerpot, removed sig. label, 30's hdwe (except the tuners and pickguard which look Loar period but gold plated), oversprayed (by Gibson in the 30's), fingerboard replaced by Gibson in the '30s, and, one of the best sounding and playing ones I've ever seen/heard.

Looks like Gibson removed the virzi (yes, a dated '22 that had a virzi), when they did the work in the 30's. The provenance is traced to 1939 when a nun sold it to the current owner's father (sale letter included). No other work done to it since then, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I guess you can tell I'm excited.

Charlie

Wesley
Jan-31-2006, 1:17pm
Hmmm...... Driven by a nun to church every Sunday - low mileage - it sounds like a real find.

GBG
Jan-31-2006, 1:39pm
She had it blessed right after she got it home.

bsimmers
Jan-31-2006, 1:59pm
I now know what Barney Fife felt like when he bought his first car.

Flowerpot
Jan-31-2006, 2:55pm
Pictures, pictures, we want pictures!

What do you mean by oversprayed? All of it, as in re-finished with laquer, or what do you mean?

Big Joe
Jan-31-2006, 3:14pm
The mandolin was purchased by the current owners grandfather in 1939. He played it until his death in 1945. His grandson inherited it and had it ever since. It has not been playes since then and the strings we took off may well have been on it since 1945. The finish had a coat of lacquer...fairly light it appears....sprayed over the varnish. This was not that uncommon at the time. This mandolin is one of the best sounding instruments I've ever heard and to think it has not been played in all these years. Wait till it's been played a bit. It carries very, very well.

Flowerpot
Jan-31-2006, 3:28pm
Sounds like the overspray didn't hurt anything... amazing that it didn't go completely to sleep. Outstanding, good find!

bgmando
Jan-31-2006, 3:36pm
Did the grandson know what he had, or was he surprised?

Charlie Derrington
Jan-31-2006, 4:24pm
No, he knew. He was just waiting for the right time to move it.

Even if he didn't know what he had, it's only right to inform. I refuse to mislead anyone for the sake of a dollar. That sort of business behavior only hurts one's credibility in the long run.

Charlie

Roydw3
Jan-31-2006, 5:16pm
I'll take it...I have some monopoly money in the closet...or I can send you $20 a month from now until I die...man, I wish I had that kind of money....

Denny

Jonathan James
Feb-03-2006, 11:08am
Any new news on this find? Pics?

JD Cowles
Feb-03-2006, 11:17am
I checked under the bed again, just in case, and all I found was cat hair and old kleenex. At least I (we) get to live vicariously through others here on the Cafe. Can't wait to see pics of it, and thanks for sharing fellas.

JD

bsimmers
Feb-14-2006, 1:36pm
What's the status? Is it for sale yet?

danb
Feb-14-2006, 5:35pm
Some pictures in the supergrass thread