PDA

View Full Version : RE-STRINGING MADE EASY

Jason Kessler
Jan-31-2006, 9:12am
I read this tip somewhere here on the cafe a few weeks ago, and decided to try it next time I re-strung (-strang? -stringed?). It worked like a charm.

The problem: the loop slipping off the tailpiece hook while trying to tighten it up around the tuning peg post. MOST aggravating; the worst part of re-stringing for me.

The solution: a capo. Placing the loop over the hook and then capo-ing that string down held it in place while I dealt with the other end. It worked like a charm, and made re-stringing a (comparative) breeze.

Of course, the capo goes on the neck as per usual, and not on the tailpiece!

I wish I could remember who proffered this wonderful tip, and hope if he or she is reading this that they'll come forward and say so. I have no wish to take credit for the trick, just want to pass it along. It works!

Celtic Saguaro
Jan-31-2006, 9:28am
The problem, of course, is the loops are too big. Personally, I squeeze the loops lightly with a pair of pliers to narrow them a little, so they can't turn and flip off. It's about as fast as messing with the capo. You don't want to squeeze too much or too hard or you'll put in a crimp that will break when you tune up.

bradeinhorn
Jan-31-2006, 9:28am
how about restringing on an allen tailpeice. with the ball ends on the tailpeice wider than the string loops it is tough....

Tom C
Jan-31-2006, 1:59pm
On my Allen tailpiece the tangs are too close. I have to loosen the "G" string to no tension to get the adjacent "D" string off the tang. Same thing with getting it on. Ame thing with "A" nad "E" strings. The rough pattern in tailpiece along with the strings and loops make my eyes go gaga.

As far as stringing. I hold the string down by the nut with my index finger. and I lift the string with my ring finger to keep it taunt so string does not slip from tang.

ourgang
Jan-31-2006, 2:20pm
A piece of masking tape over the string loop and tab works well for me.

Dan Adams
Jan-31-2006, 8:53pm
The masking tape trick between the bridge and the tailpiece is the best.. Nothing fancy, just practical! Next option, three hands.. Dan

fmspinc
Jan-31-2006, 9:05pm
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but .. I figure out length of string - by looping the end and pulling up to the tuner, then simply ignore the loop - yes leave the string way long, lock my string onto the tuner and can wind up with simple holding pressure on loose string - rembering (of course) not to wind too far before I loop on. It's easier than these instructions I promise.

Jason Kessler
Jan-31-2006, 9:17pm
Wow, a wealth of techniques.

This is why I love this site.

kenny m
Jan-31-2006, 9:36pm
here is a tip a little off subject but if you don't have a good place to work on your mando your ironing board works really well. it is padded so no scratches, it is adjustable so it works fine standing or sitting. sorry for interupting the thread but you might find it handy.

Got8Strings
Jan-31-2006, 10:20pm
Does anyone use winders? I have one for my guitar but it is too big and clumsy for the mando. I know they make winders specifically for the mando. Anybody recommend them?

montgomeryi
Feb-01-2006, 6:58pm
This is, hands down, the best restringing technique I have seen. It cut my restringing time in half!

Frets.com (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html)