PDA

View Full Version : Which Chords to Use?

red7flag
Jan-30-2006, 2:02pm
I got Roland White book that tells you to do a first position D as a three note chord:
4 - 2
3 - 4
2 - 5
1 - Open
Butch's Video suggest a 4 note chord
4 - 7
3 - 4
2 - 5
1 - 2

Rolands chord is a bit easier to play while Butch's sounds fuller. #Any comments on how you would play it?
Also, strange to me, when playing in A, Butch plays the D chord as a 3 note chord like a C chord played up 2 frets, leaving the 1st string open. #Any thoughts? #I hope I explained this clearly as I am at work without a mando handy.
I am having trouble dampening the open 1st string with 3 note chords. Any suggestions?
Tony

John Flynn
Jan-30-2006, 2:11pm
There are many different options to playing any basic chord. Which one you choose at any given time is part of the artistry of playing. What sound are you going for? What can you do, at speed, at your skill level? What sets you up the best for the next chord? You can also play the two chords below and many other ways. The first is even easier than the two you mention. BTW, I wouldn't consider Butch's chord to be exactly "first position," although it is certainly correct and it does sound great.

4 - 2
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 2

4 - 2
3 - 4
2 - 5
1 - 2

I use 'em all at different times.

Jim Broyles
Jan-30-2006, 4:09pm
The open E string makes it a D2 chord. If you want a straight D major chord you have to either damp the open E or fret it at the second fret. 2-4-5-2 is a nice 4-note D which can be chopped. If you want it to ring, play it 2-0-0-2. Butch's is first position because you are fretting at the second fret.

250sc
Jan-31-2006, 11:51am
D2=D9?

Mark Robertson-Tessi
Jan-31-2006, 5:13pm
A D2 has no seventh in it (D E F# A), while a D9 has the seventh (D E F# A C).

Cheers,
Mark R-T

jasona
Jan-31-2006, 6:06pm
I use the three note chord (muting the 4th string) when playing in A, and the four note chord when in G. But it depends on where I am coming from and where I am heading with the previous and next chords. Also, I am a chording newby.

groveland
Jan-31-2006, 6:08pm
D2 used to be called D(add9) a while back. I suppose it still is in some circles.

James P
Jan-31-2006, 9:34pm
Otherwise known as the Mu Major. (http://www.jmdl.com/howard/steelydan/mu-major.html) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

RJinRI
Feb-11-2006, 5:35pm
do bar chords exist for mandolin , as they do when playing a guitar? my searches keep coming with zip:)[B][B]

woodwiz
Feb-11-2006, 6:12pm
Sure, you can bar any of the two or three finger first position chords that your fingers can make work. The C,G, and D positions are real easy.

After a while, though, you might find out that the closed chords sound better and are maybe a little easier to play.