PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron.......

Jan-28-2006, 4:04pm
Hi Folks,

Some where.....

...on Mando Cafe I have ran across the blood line of Flatiron mandos with respect to the Gibson transition and can't find it now! I figure if I did not need it I could go right to it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif <DOH!!!! Homer)

I have Flatiron, designated as Festival F. The serial number is 9211716 --is this the 716st made and in the month of November 1992?

The label reads The Flatiron Mandolin and Banjo Company Bozeman Montana --there are no signatures.

It seems to me to have some binding different than all the Festival F's I have seen. The top is ivoryoid bound as well as the peghead. The dot markers on the finger board and side of the neck were in the wrong position -I had a local craftsman take care of that several years ago. Everyone comments on the good sound the mando has and ease of play.

I have been considering it since I have a Collings MF5, and Stefan Passernig custom. This is my first mando and well ... I am fighting the attachment to it!

Anyway, if you all could point me in the right direction (I have been doing searches w/o good results) I would really be greatful.

Thanks fer looking
~X

Big Joe
Jan-29-2006, 12:04am
Gibson bought Flatiron in 1987. They were made in Montana from then until about 1997. Production was then moved to Nashville and production has been here since then. That is the case for all Gibson and Flatiron mandolins.

Jan-29-2006, 7:04am
Big Joe,

Thank for stopping and taking time to answer my question.......

What do you make of the binding in this particular case?

Where does this generation mando stand in comparison to others (generally)?

~x