PDA

View Full Version : Now that I have it, what is it?

JiminRussia
Mar-29-2004, 9:19pm
My little Brother, God bless hinm sent me this as a gift. Unortunately, I'm not at home to fondle it. I've been banished to New Jersey and have to serve out the balance of my sentance here (one more month). Do any of you recognize this banjolin? Who made it, about when was it made, etc.? I would appreciate any information about it.

JiminRussia
Mar-29-2004, 9:21pm
Dang! it didn't work again! I guess that i just will never unerstand this post a picture thing. Sory guys and gals.....

Mar-29-2004, 9:40pm
Here tis......

JiminRussia
Mar-29-2004, 10:31pm
I just got a flash update from brother George. It was made by the SS Stewart Co., probably in the thirties. I still don't know about a model numer or anything like that, so your help would be appreciated. Wife unit tells me that it is made of Maple, if that is any help.

Bob DeVellis
Mar-30-2004, 9:55am
It may have been made by Weymann and badged S. S. Stewart. A lot of the Stewart banjo guys apparently went to work for Weymann as Stewart wound down production, and I believe that Weymann bought the rights to the Stewart name. I don't think the Stewart factory was active under its original ownership in the 1930s. One obvious similarity between Stewart and Weymann banjos is the metal neck brace attached to the back of the rim. The Weymann version is somewhat beefier but is unmistakably related to Stewart's. Those are my thoughts, but I definitely could have some of this wrong. These are just impressions I've gathered from various places.

Tom C
Mar-30-2004, 10:03am
It sure looks just like my '32 Slingerland. Take the resonator off the back
and there is probably a label inside. I did post pics once before but the thread is probably gone.

8ch(pl)
Mar-30-2004, 2:12pm
I have seen that that scallop in the end of the peghead on a Mandolin-banjo marked Bruno. It is identical with my unmarked instrument. Made in the Rhetburg and Lange factory in NYC circa 1930.

JiminRussia
Mar-30-2004, 11:13pm
Thanks or all your help folks. I appreciate the input a lot.
Unfortunatly I am not at home to do a close inspection. I am on a secret mission in New Jersey trying to find out why they have this phobia about left turns. I do have a couple of more photos though, and I would be glad to forward them to anyone that could help me out with an identification. It does have a three piece neck with the skunk stripe down the middle and it appears that the resonator is held on with a single screw in the center of it. It also appears that the resonator rim top is bound with a darker wood than the back and rim. I'm pretty sure, judging from the decscriptions that my wife has given me, that the resonator back and rim are maple of a pretty straight grained type, not flamed or tiger striped. The neck is still an unknown though. Possibly it is maple also with darker skunk stripe of who klnows what. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this baby. I've always wanted to try one.

Tom C
Mar-31-2004, 8:42am
My '32 Slingerland...... Very similar but not exact