PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Technique

gschmidt
Jan-26-2006, 2:24pm
What is the proper tuning technique with a chromatic tuner....

1. Continuously pick string and adjust tuning while picking?

or

2. Pick string ONCE and adjust tuning while the note is ringing?

Is one way better than another? Is it personal preference?

glauber
Jan-26-2006, 2:34pm
I give it maybe one pick per second, while tuning. If you're obssessive compulsive like i am, you may notice that the pitch doesn't stay constant, it goes up a little bit when you attack the note, then decays slowly. That's another reason why electronic tuners will drive you bonkers. Use a tuner to get it "in the ballpark", then fine-tune by ear so it sounds nice.

Blueglass
Jan-26-2006, 7:20pm
I like to use my thumb when tuning. Tuners drive me nuts too I always prefer to have the guitarist play the note then I tune to that.

mandolooter
Jan-27-2006, 8:42am
Tuners drive me nuts too

So...Im not alone...

gschmidt
Jan-27-2006, 9:48am
I'm noticing a little theme here.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Tim
Jan-27-2006, 10:07am
The website for OnBoard Research (maker of Intellitouch) has a FAQ that suggests using the finger (not a pick), softly and to let the note ring to allow the harmonics to die down.

The online user's manual suggests striking the string with the finger, varying the location, to minimize the effects of harmonics.

Since I don't even know what a harmonic is, I'm just passing along a reference for consideration. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

John Flynn
Jan-27-2006, 10:28am
I always prefer to have the guitarist play the note then I tune to that
I run into that attitude a lot. People know that I use a tuner, so they are always bugging me for notes so they can tune. Sometimes they get really demanding, too. They act like it's my responsibility to help them get tuned up, so I need to interrupt any conversation I'm having or stop any preparation I need to do. I liken it to people who won't buy a watch, but who are always bugging people to tell them what time it is.

Sometimes I will offer them my tuner and they freak out like it's going to bite them. Unfortunately, then I usually have to give them a short course on how to use it. Personally, I can't relate to that. I have never picked up a strange tuner I couldn't figure out how to use in about 5 seconds.

The other pathetic behavior I encounter is the "John Wayne" types who claim they don't need any tuning support. Great idea, but they always seem to be out of tune! Then there are the tuning fork guys, who have to make everyone in the room be deathly quiet while they repeatedly bang the thing on the host's furniture.

It's the new millenium. You use email. You have a calculator. We have the technology. Buy a tuner. The people you play with will thank you.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

twaaang
Jan-27-2006, 12:45pm
I play with a pick, so I tune with a pick. And I marvel at the folks I see who don't use the pick's follow-through to damp the same-note string to keep it from interfering with the process . . . if you're trying to tune one of your A strings, the last thing you need is the other A string (whether or not it's in tune) affecting what the tuner is showing you. -- Paul

fatt-dad
Jan-27-2006, 12:53pm
I'm noticing a little theme here.... # #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
Ah, mandolin players are easily driven nuts?

f-d

Katie
Jan-27-2006, 12:57pm
I started off as a trumpet player...so I'm used to tuning by ear. I didn't start using my tuner regularly until I picked up mandolin (though I would use it to learn the pitch tendencies of my instrument). I use the ball park method and then if things sound wrong I fine tune it. It used to drive my teacher nuts cause I was a beginner but I'd fuss with tuning even after I tuned it.
I can kind of sort of explain harmonics. Most of the time when you hear a note, you're not hearing one pure note. There are pitches above and below that are produced. When you hear a singer who's voice sounds really graveley, you're usually hearing a lot of harmonics. I think sitar produces a lot too. I think they're based on the harmonic series...so mostly octaves, fifths and thirds.

*^_^*
Katie

Blueglass
Jan-27-2006, 1:12pm
The larger issue with an all acustic string band is tonal resonance. Somehow the guitar, mandolin, bass and what ever don't all tune exactly the same with the same tuner. Its very very close, but not perfect. I like to have all the "G" strings ringing the same before we start playing. Not via tuner, but via each other.

CraigF
Jan-27-2006, 5:19pm
I tune the 1st string of the course with a tuner. Like twaaang said, dampen the 2nd string with the pick. Then, I always tune the 2nd string to the 1st by ear. I can get it more accurate that way.

Tim
Jan-27-2006, 5:23pm
Has there ever been a thread asking about electronic tuners that didn't almost immediately go to people saying they can tune better by ear? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

montgomeryi
Feb-01-2006, 7:20pm
Not that he's any good or anything, but Thile picks pretty quickly while tuning to an electronic tuner, hardly giving the note a chance to decay. This can be seen during his Woodsongs gig with Marshall.

I use g-tune (http://www.jhc-software.com) on my laptop, it's a strobe tuner (read: very accurate) and does a great job of ignoring harmonics.

steve in tampa
Feb-02-2006, 5:28am
Depends on the senstivity of the tuner, and it you are using the mic or line input. Some cannot register successive sinal inputs, and will not be accurate. Cheaper the tuner, best to let the note ring, and let it register. Learn to tune one string, and do the rest by ear.

ira
Feb-02-2006, 10:15pm
i try to use a finger with one little pluck, but generally if i'm jamming with others or playing out i use a pick with my intellitouch- harder to get a read some times.
ps- i'm generally not one to add fuel to the fire (i hope) but i'm with mandojohnny. i know lots of folks who won't use a tuner, but ask me all the time for a note to get em started and a few more just to check or grab mine periodically- its ok to use one folks- they do help!