PDA

View Full Version : tackling Practica Musica and/or

John Bertotti
Jan-24-2006, 6:01pm
Ok I have both and have browsed both and learned from both but have never gotten serious about either. I now want to do just that. For those of you familiar with these theory texts how should I proceed? Begin both and move on a chapter at a time or begin one or the other. If I should do only one at a time which should I start first and why? Thanks John

Katie
Jan-25-2006, 2:08pm
Haven't read Perception. The only experience I have with practica was the computer theory training they made us take in college. That was a spirit crushing experience. It has its merits but I couldn't take professors yelling "What do you mean it's different listening to computer generated intervals vs acoustic piano intervals? Are you stupid or something?"
I say read them one at a time. That way you'll be reinforcing the first book with the second.

JimD
Jan-26-2006, 10:14am
Hi John,

Perception is the book by G. Eskelin, right? My copy is by my desk at home.

I find his stuff to be extremely well thought out and right on the money in terms of getting the basics and providing a solid background on which to build.

He has really researched acoustics and the way the ear hears music. His whole pedagogy is based on that. It is a great way for adults to approach an understanding of music theory simply because he tells you why things are so.

To Katie: I have been teaching theory and ear training for many years and have found that there is a HUGE difference between conputer generated sounds and the acoustic piano. Don't let them tell you any differently.

woodwiz
Jan-26-2006, 10:23am
To Katie: #I have been teaching theory and ear training for many years and have found that there is a HUGE difference between conputer generated sounds and the acoustic piano. Don't let them tell you any differently.
Amen to that! I play fiddle - in tune - and I can play just about anything I hear after hearing it one time through, so I know my ear can't be that bad.

I tried a couple of ear training programs on my computer, and didn't have a clue, initially. Took a while to be able to discriminate among the tones and intervals because they just sounded so different.

John Bertotti
Jan-27-2006, 12:27am
Katie and woodwiz I know what you mean. I have a very hard time on the computer hearing the difference. One the keyboard it is a bit easier but not much. JimD, yep that's the book I bought it after some of our posts last year in the classical section. I've read a couple chapters in both then got side tracked with work and family. I believe August was the one who recommended pratica to me. I figure between the two I'll get a good basic grasp. I have actually read the Ohmson book twice now and every time it makes more sense. Thanks all John

Katie
Jan-27-2006, 1:03pm
I knew and they knew. I think the profs just didn't want to admit that there were too many of us, too few of them (as with most music schools in liberal arts colleges) and that investing in software to fill in the gaps wasn't the best idea. What they should have invested in was the graduate program. That's what grad assistants are for.