PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Mandolin

Cragger
Mar-29-2004, 3:19pm
i was just wondering if anyone out there has played a glenn mandolin. i believe he is a luthier in north carolina.

johnwilson
Mar-29-2004, 5:34pm
I own Glenn #2, a semi-gloss F-5 which is light as a feather, loud and well balanced.
Allen Jones is from Dixon, Missouri and approaches building from the perspective of a player who values the sound and feel (playability?) of an instrument first and foremost. The scroll and binding on mine are a little less refined than the work he does now. You can find him on the web and he welcomes calls and e-mail. Hope that helps.

Scotti Adams
Mar-29-2004, 6:04pm
,,there was a Glenn mando at my party this weekend that belongs to a fellow Cafe member. I didnt notice what # it was but it looked real good....had that classic Cremona burst andto me it sounded very Gibson-ish....I thought it was a good mando...

Mar-29-2004, 6:26pm
Cragger....i have a sound file of one of the Glenn mandos. I'd be happy to email it to you but as its on my computer at work i would need to do it tomorrow. Sounds very good to my ear. Very good prices.

Steve Perry
Apr-23-2004, 6:55am
Hey Spare Change...

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to have a copy of that Glenn soundfile.

Thanks,

Steve Perry

mando wanna be
Apr-28-2004, 8:51pm
I just bought a Glenn F5 signed by allen jones and numbered #34. I bought it from a pro player who says he played it and really liked it although I think he turns a lot of instruments over. Anyway, I did some checking about Allen Jones stuff and foung that he tunes his tops and really sells these mando's at a great price of $1800 NEW!!!!!!!!!!!

This one has not been played much judging by the fret wear but it sounds fantastic. Real woody and punchy. I can't wait until it breaks in. I've played a bunch of mando's even ones that I knew very well I couldnt afford and this one ranks right up there with the best of them. I couldnt be happier with the sound of this thing it's honestly great.

Now the bad news, the finish work - ie scroll, bindings and just plain lack of attention is very evident. If you were buying a mando strickly on appearence you'd not want this mandolin. The woods are nicely picked out, back and side are very flamed and the top is a nice piece of Red Spruce which for the appearence is enough for me but there are some things that just were not done to make it look "perfect".

But here's more good news. These sell for $1800 NEW!!! and this was less than that. Allen has to make a living and he apparantly spends a lot of time tuning the instrument rather than tidying up the loose ends which is fine by me.

This is a great mandolin and if your looking for a great sounding piece come on over I'll let you play it but your not gettin it.......

By the way its in East TN......... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif