PDA

View Full Version : 'The Fox' rythm and chord

Kirby161
Jan-23-2006, 8:51pm
Some friends of mine requested that I play 'The Fox' with them at their next show. Ive got it pretty much figured out except the thing he plays in the beginning.
The chords and rythm seem simple enough, but i cant find them or sound them out. All i am looking for is the first 10 seconds of the song, the rest is cake.

If you have any guesses, please input; anything helps.

ShaneJ
Jan-23-2006, 9:33pm
It's an A chord (actually a double double-stop of A & E)....slide up from a fret "underneath" on the G & D strings while droning the open A & E strings:

8 / 9
6 / 7
0 - 0
0 - 0

He plays the D & E chords in part of the song in a similar manner with drone open A & E strings. Slide the top double-stop down to G4 & D2 for an E-chord and down to G2 and open D for a D-chord.

I've got the break down fairly well (without a couple of the freakish mando-genius runs of his) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif It's mostly in 1st position. One hint....many of the E notes (open E-string) are preceeded by a slide up from D at the 5th fret on the A-string to E at the 7th fret, then move to the open E - during the parts where there are 3 or 4 E notes in a row. Hope that makes sense and helps.

Oops! You probably already figured that out....just read the rest of your post.

RobP
Jan-24-2006, 4:31pm
We to this song too - it's one of the few I sing lead on. I love the opening -- just me and the mandolin! I worked out a nice rhythmic intro based on the chord forms above that follows the melody.

I worked out my own break though -- something more playable for me under the stress of performance.

Great song!

Rob