PDA

View Full Version : learning bluegrass breaks

pickin'mama
Jan-23-2006, 10:50am
Anyone have any guidance on the most effective way to learn some bluegrass breaks? I'm a new mom, so I don't have much time. I learn pretty well using tab if I'm familiar with the song. I need to get more comfortable with breaks in b, b flat, and a. I've practiced the scales, but my breaks always are lacking in these keys. Any good books or song from tabledit for recommendations?

250sc
Jan-23-2006, 12:02pm
You need to start getting comfortable playing in closed positions (no open strings) Once you can do that it doesn't matter what key your in since you can just move the pattern up or down the fingerboard.

I like Niles Hokkanen's book, Bluegrass Up the Neck and his Pentatonic Mandolin books.

Good luck.

woodwiz
Jan-23-2006, 1:34pm
If you have a recent version of Wondows Media Player you can rip tracks from CD's to your hard drive, and then play them back at reduced speed. Find some breaks that you like, practice your scales in every mode for the key, practice thirds and pentatonics, too, and then copy the breaks. Like everything else, it does take time and practice, but you will eventually build up a vocabulary that will serve you well.

AlanN
Jan-23-2006, 2:16pm
what v. of Media Player does this, and is it free to upgrade for licensed XP users?

woodwiz
Jan-23-2006, 8:06pm
I have version 10, which came free with XP a couple of years ago. You have to click on View, then Enhancements, then Play Speed Settings