PDA

View Full Version : kangaroo straps

AlanN
Jan-24-2004, 1:07pm
I have a nice assortment of these in stock, if anybody is interested. See classifieds for more detail.

oldstrings@hotmail.com

Brian Aldridge
Jan-24-2004, 1:53pm
great straps! I have several. NFI

Skip Kelley
Jan-24-2004, 5:09pm
Folks, these are great straps! Very comfortable. I use one I received from Alan.

J. Mark Lane
Jan-24-2004, 8:02pm
Why do they cost so much?

Brian Aldridge
Jan-24-2004, 8:14pm
these things are hand made. I would think several hours went into each one.

Clyde Clevenger
Jan-24-2004, 8:25pm
My wife also makes kangaroo straps, lots of work. Cheap at $50 for 6 braid and $30 for a 4 braid.

Scotti Adams
Jan-24-2004, 8:38pm
..the absolute tops in strap selection.....I love mine

Greenmando
Jan-24-2004, 10:22pm
My wife also makes kangaroo straps, lots of work. #Cheap at $50 for 6 braid and $30 for a 4 braid.
How big are the laces? they must be pretty small to keep the size down. Kangaroo is the strongest and lightest leather around. I have two pairs of boots made out of roo, lighter than many tennis shoes.

BigJoe
Jan-24-2004, 11:25pm
I can assure you that no matter what is charged they are not making a profit for Alan. I used to make them and finally quit because it is too cost and labor intensive to do it. I just don't have the time and if you consider your labor worth even minimum wage, you cannot make any money at it. They are great straps and will give many many years of great service.

The thing many of us like best about kangaroo is the elastic memory they have. You can pull the mandolin away to take a break and increase volume. When you let it go back, the strap will return to its original length. Cowhide does not do that. Anyway, if you don't have one, you must try them. They are GREAT!

mandowilli
Jan-24-2004, 11:40pm
Amen to that brother!

Greenmando
Jan-25-2004, 12:25am
I have no problem at all with the price, fine leather work is worth it.
Thats why I pay more for better work boots out of roo, worth every penny!

Rich Michaud
Jan-25-2004, 7:06am
I bought a roo strap from Alan. Great strap. I have three other roo straps from Carmel Muusic-also great. Cost was slightly more. One prototype from Carmel was slightly different with a flat piece of roo in the middle to hang on you shoulder and braided at both ends. I like this one the best. But overall, the roos are the best and take up the least space in your case. Anyway, thanks Alan for your strap and I recommend his straps to all mando players.

J. Mark Lane
Jan-25-2004, 8:47am
Thanks for the responses, folks. I certainly did not mean to imply anything negative. Just wondered why they cost so much. FWIW, I do have one (from someone else) and I love it.

Mark

Amandalyn
Jan-25-2004, 8:51am
Hello, can you tell me if this strap digs into your shoulder, or does it offer the same comfort that a flat leather strap would?

AlanN
Jan-25-2004, 9:23am
I appreciate all the testimonials so far - word of mouth is definitely the best form of advertising :-)

In answer to the question above, I've used the same roo strap for upwards of 6 years and have noticed no groove in my shoulder <g>. It is a SMALL round braid, no thicker than a drinking straw. If this style suits you, then it will work. If, however, you prefer more of a belt-like flat surface, then it won't. I showed it to Doyle Lawson one time, he was taken with the quality, but his strap of choice is like a belt, so apples and oranges there. OTOH, John Reischman, Tommy Rozum, Brent Truitt, Ben Winship, John Rossbach, Brian Aldridge, Charlie Derrington, Joe Vest all seem to prefer this style. It's all up to the picker, like so many mandolin-related issues...

- Alan

mandroid
Feb-12-2004, 12:21am
suggest: Braid over a polyfoam core perhaps, OD combined of @ 1/4"-3/8"

romkeymm
Feb-15-2004, 6:48pm
Alan-
I've been searching far and wide for an A-strap. Can you make one that has the same hole on both sides so it would go onto the pin screwed into my neck? I haven't been able to find any of these.

Thanks

AlanN
Feb-15-2004, 6:54pm
Hi Matt,

What could easily be done is simply place a suitable hole through both "legs" of the loop and attach to your neck heel pin.I supply these straps un-punched, as every picker is different about where they like the end-pin hole(s).

- Alan

J. Mark Lane
Feb-15-2004, 7:17pm
Can you make one that has the same hole on both sides so it would go onto the pin screwed into my neck?
You have a pin screwed into your neck? Hey, didn't I see you in a movie once...?