PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Ron Plichta
Jan-22-2006, 11:36am
I'm new here on this forum and wanted to give all of you a quick background on myself. I'm 45 and live in Fairfax, VA. I have two kids, an 11-year-old son and a 9 year-old daughter. I've been married for 22 years to the same woman who somehow manages to put with all the toys, I mean, musical instuments that come and go in this house. My wife is a Colonel in the Army Reserve and an Iraqi Freedom veteran, having had the opportunity to take an all expenses paid vacation to Balad, Iraq in 2004. I retired from the Army Reserve in 2005 as a Lieutenant Colonel.

I got interested in mandolin in 2003 when I decided that I wasn't going to get into any more rock bands. A little bit of searching resulted in a Morgan Monroe MMS-3 with the requisite accessories and instruction books. I spent some time on it and frankly didn't do as well as I wanted when the bass bug hit. So I sold the mandolin a year ago and went back to electric bass.

Well here I am a year later and developed a new interest in acoustic instruments thanks to purchasing a Taylor 614ce acoustic guitar. A quick canvassing of my friends found that there was a common desire to do some acoustic stuff once in a while. That reawakened my desire to get back into mandolin since everyone I know is a guitarist or bassist. And as if someone was smiling on me, I found the Morgan Monroe I sold a year ago back on Ebay last week. The seller remembered me and we worked out a deal. I should have it back in my house later this week. I thankfully hadn't sold the instruction books yet.

This time, I promise to give mandolin a better go. I'm already anticipating getting somewhat decent and moving onto a higher level of mandolin. I've heard teh Weber line and wnat to see what the Breedlove and Collings lines have to offer eventually. I'm open to other recommendations, too.

I look forward to learing more about mandolin here.

Jan-22-2006, 1:36pm
Hi Ron,

...just wanted to stop and say welcome. I have learned a lot about the mando here from folks.

...happy pickin' to ya

~shayne

Jason Kessler
Jan-22-2006, 2:20pm
Welcome, Ron.

Jim Broyles
Jan-22-2006, 2:32pm
Hi, Ron. Former Arlington guy here. Only playing for a year but every day I feel more like Jim the mandolin player than Jim the guitar player. I can tell you this much - you came to the right place to learn about mando.

Tim
Jan-22-2006, 4:49pm
Ron-

I've got a Collings MT and Weber Gallatin and I live sort of close to you. #If you want to get together and see them PM or e-mail me.

Richard Russell
Jan-22-2006, 10:02pm
Welcome and best of luck in your mandolin journey!

MML
Jan-22-2006, 10:10pm
Welcome to the Cafe. You my friend have just entered into a life long journey http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

dudlebug23
Jan-22-2006, 11:01pm
Welcome! I'm from Winchester, just a hop over the mountain from you! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif