PDA

View Full Version : tailpiece suggestions for 03 Krishot

Rogelio
Jan-22-2006, 3:30pm
I guess no replies yet. I just received my Morgan Monroe MMS-3 and I am happy with the volume but I was wondering the same thing about changing the tailpece. I was lookng at an Allen.

jim simpson
Jan-22-2006, 3:45pm
I think I have changed the tailpiece on the last 4 or 5 mandos that I've owned. I really don't recall noticing a change in the tone on any of them. I guess I wasn't changing them for that reason so I wasn't expecting any change. I think I've realized tone improvements by bridge component changes. I guess if I was looking to alter the tone, I would focus on the bridge.

sunburst
Jan-22-2006, 3:49pm
I hesitate to post this, but here goes anyway.
A tailpiece change will likely not make much difference in the sound. If you want to fatten up the sound, I'm afraid you'll have to look to your own right hand. Practice...practice...practice...

Rogelio
Feb-06-2006, 3:51pm
I appreciate both your comments.

Rogelio new in GA

GBG
Mar-08-2006, 5:18pm
I have a 2002 Krishot. I bought a Dude-Oden TP that added sustain, and I think improved the tone. Not just the added weight, but an increased angle of the strings coming off the bridge putting more pressure on the top helped the tone/volume.

I would consider the James TP from all I've heard about them. BTW Eduard Kristufek (the builder) uses J75's on his personal Krishot. Also, my experience has been that my Krishot had a long break-in period.

jim simpson
Mar-08-2006, 6:22pm
Ebay:

James Mandolin Tailpiece, Silver, A-5, F-5, Luthier Pts Item number: 7396274476

Bid or buy it now.

Mojo
Mar-09-2006, 8:46am
I recently replaced the cheap (non-original) tailpiece on my Breedlove Quartz OO, with an Allen TR. In the interest of science, I did the swap without changing the strings.

The result? To be honest, I wasn't expecting much of a change, so I was fairly surprised to find the change yielded A) A little bit more volume B) Significantly better bass response and C) Much improved resonance, and tone - the instrument now has a much more "Piano like" quality to it, which I quite like.

Really, quite an improvement overall, at least on my mando. Keep in mind, that the tp I replaced was a thin piece of junk, and the mando is an X-Braced Oval hole instrument, so YMMV.

That said, for me, the upgrade was well worth the money, for the improvement in sound alone. As a bonus, I also get easier string changes, a nicer looking mando, and the ability to use ball end strings in a jam.

bgmando
Mar-16-2006, 7:27pm
I also recently changed out a cheap stamped metal tailpiece on a good Flatiron F-5, x-braced.
I did it for tuning purposes and wasn't expecting sound change. Put on a Bill James.

But I did get a sweeter, more even tone and slightly better volume.

Well worth the change.
I also bit the bullet and tried an armrest. A Smith. Worked wonders, too, and I realize my ham-handed arm was killing tone resting on the top.

Next up, tone-gard.

8ch(pl)
Mar-17-2006, 1:59pm
There is a Gold Allen in the classifieds for $65. It has the Gibson shape, not the Monteleone type.