PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Mandolin

lloydlore
Jan-21-2006, 1:57pm
I've been away from mandolin playing for about five years but recently decided to have one made. It will be here in about two months.

I thought I'd pick up a decent player, bluegrass, in the meantime so I can get some of the rust off before the new one arrives. I figured I'd spend up to $900 and then possibly sell it later.

So, here's the question, any thoughts on a good playing used mandolin that also has a good resale value. I'd also like something that has an elevated fingerboard, off the body. Thanks

ab4usa
Jan-21-2006, 5:09pm
Paul,

I think your best bet is a used Gibson A9. Right price, right resale value, right sound.

8ch(pl)
Jan-21-2006, 6:02pm
Look in the classifieds, there have been a number of nice instruments there in that price range. The thing is when you buy iot used you can resell for the same price and recover your money.

JGWoods
Jan-22-2006, 12:05pm
I think you should buy something that offers a difference from what you ordered. If you ordered an F hole bluegrass type mandolin, why not get a nice used oval hole for the time being? That way when you have your new one as your main player you have another axe that fills a different role- you wind up able to play diffrent styles, different tones, and not worry about how the first one duplicates the custom made one. They will complement each other.
So look at the big picture.
best
jgwoods

lloydlore
Jan-22-2006, 1:56pm
Alan, I was thinking along the lines of an A9 too but was wondering if another brand might be a good choice.

JG, very interesting point, do you have any recommendations for brand/model.

thanks

JGWoods
Jan-22-2006, 6:10pm
Flatiron 2M (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=16864&query=retrieval)
these Flatirons hold their value very well- excellent players, have lots of fans, and are great for Celtic and Old Time.
I don't know anything about the one I refer to here, just found it in the classifieds. I did own a similar model and it was excellent in all respects- and when I sold it I got more than my money back.

If There was an Arhces oval hole listed for a fair price used I would grab that. I see one, but it looks like the owner wants more than they sell for new.

fatt-dad
Jan-22-2006, 8:14pm
I'm a big pancake fan and if you're looking for a compliment to your arched-top, f-hole, bluegrass mandolin you won't go wrong with a pancake.

Enjoy the hunt

f-d

fatt-dad
Jan-22-2006, 8:15pm
(p.s., I'm referring the Flatiron mentioned in the preceding post - not to be too obscure.)

f-d

lloydlore
Jan-24-2006, 7:41am
I checked out some Flatirons but I think I'm more suited to something like an A9. Does anyone know of a used one for sale. I've checked some of the dealers but came up empty. thanks

fredfrank
Jan-24-2006, 7:50am
When I was waiting for my Collings MF5, I had to sell a couple (my entire collection) to finance it. Well, being the mandolin player in my band, I figured I'd need a mandolin, so I'd buy a temporary mandolin to get me by. Gibson Varnished Fern. The MF5 has come and gone, and I still have the Fern. Best sounding mandolin I've ever owned. Next to my new Collings Deluxe, anyway.

I realize these are not in the price range you're looking at, but you may not need to replace the temp if you get the right one.

ab4usa
Jan-24-2006, 9:38am
Morgan Music (on the web) has one for $999

ab4usa
Jan-24-2006, 9:47am
Also contact Rick Crenshaw <rcrensha@midsouth.rr.com> who posted on comando that he was going to be selling his.

lloydlore
Jan-24-2006, 5:49pm
Alan, thanks for the info, I wrote to Rick so we'll see what happens and I also checked out the Morgan Music site.