PDA

View Full Version : Foghorn String Band in concert

PhilGE
Jan-21-2006, 12:48pm
Wow... what a great old-time band! Man, those guys are tight! Great balanced overall sound, rock solid rhythm, pleasing vocals, and genuine old-time sound. Fun band with just enough crowd-pleasing patter.

http://foghornmusic.com/images/photos/bill.jpg
The band with "Captain Bill Martin."

Foghorn String Band (http://foghornmusic.com/)

Caleb Klauder does a wonderful job on mandolin with melody and rhythm while doing lots of the vocals. He's a nice guy, too. We spoke at the break and talked a bit about instruments. When I told him about our local jam and dance, he noted the band loved playing for dances. When they're not touring, they play together for 5 hours straight every Sunday evening at a local bar where they're more like great background music/ambience. No wonder they sound so good! They're not flashy, just rock solid talented guys with a great sound.

The Wilders came on for the second half of the show. They were entertaining and talented, but I'm not a honky-tonk fan. We had to duck out of the show (babysitter's time limit) during their set, so I can't really say much more. I liked what little mandolin I heard - very solid and energetic rhythm. I must say, though, that I'm glad Foghorn was on first. My wife and I got to dance #during their set - we just couldn't keep still!

recklessmando
Jan-21-2006, 2:09pm
I absolutely agree with you Phil. It's always a treat when they roll through town (and it doesn't hurt that they are from my old hometown). I think they're on their way to serious national notoriety and it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of guys.

JimRichter
Jan-23-2006, 2:55am
They are an excellent band. I know I've spent some time talking to Will Kimble and David Long about these guys and I know they're both enraptured w/ the mando player. David actually has some rough mixes of some solo stuff the mando player Caleb is working on--fantastic stuff. I saw them when Will Kimble and me went to their showcase down at IBMA this past fall. They about knocked me over. They had been out here in Bloomington (IN) a few months before that and I didn't get a chance to see them. I wish I'd made more of an effort. They're one of the bands I love to get out here and promote a show for.

Jim

Adam Tracksler
Jan-23-2006, 12:40pm
Saw them in the real Portland (Maine) this past summer, they rocked.

John Millring
Jan-28-2006, 10:28am
Dang. Too bad they missed me.

Spruce
Jan-28-2006, 4:44pm
"I know I've spent some time talking to Will Kimble and David Long about these guys and I know they're both enraptured w/ the mando player. #David actually has some rough mixes of some solo stuff the mando player Caleb is working on--fantastic stuff."

Caleb grew up here on Orcas Island, so I've known him since he since he was just a little picker....

His solo CD "Sing Out" is a great listen too, with a lot of styles represented from Neil Young rockers to country standards...

Justin Carvitto
Jan-28-2006, 5:11pm
Spruce, does Caleb have an older brother, Logan?