PDA

View Full Version : micheal kelly electric

John Rosett
Mar-29-2004, 9:32am
has anyone out there played one of the micheal kelly mandos with the fishman active electronics? the idea of the preamp built in is really appealing to me. has anyone been able to compare one of these to a mando with an after market pickup?
thanks, john

John Rosett
Mar-30-2004, 12:28am
anyone?

Dan Adams
Mar-30-2004, 8:54pm
When we were trying to decide if we were going to play all acoustic through a PA system, or go acoustic instruments with pick-ups through amps, and a PA system for vocals, I needed to purchase an electric. I didn't want to have a pick-up installed in an acoustic instrument. I bought an all solid woods, LegacyFe on ebay from Tracy in Florida for a song. I think I paid $385 on ebay, and with shipping the total deal came to $420.00. Very few blemishes on the instrument, just a little overspray on the face of the sunburst and one finish flaw near the binding. The instrument sounds fine acoustically, and sounds like an acoustic instrument played through and amp when plugged in. Not a bad sound at all considering. It came in real handy for one large outdoor event. The consumer honestly doesn't know the difference. It sounded almost 100% acoustic through a Benz-Genz, and an Acoustisonic(?) amp. The 60 watt Fender did it some justice also, but the thought of lugging a PA system and amps was too much. The onboard is fine, but a boost through a pre-amp doesn't hurt. When we listened to the tape, it is hard to tell the difference from the all acoustic through the PA. Bottom line, we play all acoustic through a PA system because it is better for the stage dynamics of moving in and out to a microphone for leads. We felt we lost some of those dynamics through the direct input, or placing amps in the back stage. I think it has its place, but with a van full of high end instrument, why plug in? I'll pull it out once in awhile to tune it up and keep it from feeling neglected.

Where is that extra battery when you need it? Dan

John Rosett
Apr-01-2004, 5:05pm
plinker8-
thanks for the reply. i play in a band with a pretty loud stage volume. the drummer is right in the middle, and so the singers need a pretty hot monitor. i have a mcintyre feather run through a fishman preamp and into a acoustisonic. most of the time i have the volume on the amp at 9 just to hear myself. i'm thinking that the preamp in the instrument (like all the guitar players have) will give me more clean boost. i was hoping that someone in this vast mandolin world of ours is using one of these mk mandos in a situation like mine.
thanks again, john

Apr-01-2004, 5:08pm
John, been there with the Acoustasonic.....it didn't have enough grunt. I've got a Genz Benz shen 100 now........mucho better in the volume dept.