PDA

View Full Version : Carved top

John Bertotti
Jan-19-2006, 11:34am
I can't help but wonder what a carved top instrument made for extra light strings would sound like. I'm considering trying and desinging it around the classical Lenzner strings. I know there is no way a top carved for these would support heavier strings but that doesn't concern me. I wonder if it is worth the time to try. Perhaps a induced arch top with some recurve carved in would be a better compromise. Any one have any insigt or thoughts on this. I imagine the back would be similar to the top in design. I have no reason for wondering this just a bug I got all the sudden for no real reason. Thanks John

WoodyMcKenzie
Jan-19-2006, 1:58pm
Why not a thinly carved top strung with only four strings, instead of double coursed? Wouldn't this be a lot easier to play? I would be curious to know whether you could get similar volume compared to a regular double coursed mandolin. It oughta be easier to tune!

Woody

John Bertotti
Jan-19-2006, 2:04pm
I'd like to keep the double courses but want a sound the classical guys and gals would love. I know I wont get a bowl back tone from a carved instrument but something as classical would be fine.

glauber
Jan-19-2006, 2:10pm
Isn't there a Phoenix that is designed for light strings? (Neoclassical)

PaulD
Jan-19-2006, 3:13pm
John... I'm going to go off on one of my no-experience-but-happy-to-speculate tangents here. What if you were to build a deflection tuning rig and measure the amount of deflection for the number of pounds of force generated by, say, J-74s. Then see how much force the lights you want to use would generate and carve and brace a top that has a similar deflection or was just slightly stiffer. It might not be perfect, but it would give you a starting point.

Paul Doubek

Antlurz
Jan-20-2006, 1:29am
Why not a carved top bowl back?

Ron

John Bertotti
Jan-20-2006, 8:16am
Ron I've considered that along the Greek lines but was hoping to build something a bit more compact.