PDA

View Full Version : Tied notes

Ira Chavis
Jan-19-2006, 11:24am
Does anyone know of exercises (book? online?, formula? brain surgery?) which can help me figure out how to calculate the number of notes to play when 2 notes are tied together? I cant seem to get this concept into my brain .

thanks
Ira

red7flag
Jan-19-2006, 11:40am
i-man,
You add the two tied notes together. So if a quater-note is tied to a half-note, you would count 3. If you tied an 8th-note to a quarter note you would count 1.5 So you would count 1 and 2 (no and). Hope this helps.
Tony

Martin Jonas
Jan-20-2006, 5:31am
One method of getting the rhythm right when there are tied notes is to strike every note that's notated, whether tied or not, with your right hand, but not actually hit the strings on the notes that you don't want to sound. If you find you're still not getting the timing right, practice the piece ignoring the ties and then leave out the notes you shouldn't have struck once you have the right timing in your head.

Martin

jasona
Jan-20-2006, 10:39am
i-man,
You add the two tied notes together. So if a quater-note is tied to a half-note, you would count 3. If you tied an 8th-note to a quarter note you would count 1.5 So you would count 1 and 2 (no and). Hope this helps.
Tony
This doesn't quite work for tuplets does it (which I assume are also tied)? For instance, a triplet plays three notes in timing of two.

sunburst
Jan-20-2006, 11:09am
...if a quater-note is tied to a half-note, you would count 3.
But you don't always start at 1.
If the 1/4-note is at the end of one measure and the 1/2-note is at the beginning of the next, your 3-count might be 4 1 2 rather than 1 2 3.

Dfyngravity
Jan-20-2006, 12:29pm
A good way to practice is to get a metronome and the piece of music in front of you. Then set the metronome to a good pace and clap the rhythm of the piece. I know a few drummers that learned this way and it seemed to work for them so I used it too. You really need to understand the value of each note, sometimes you get tied 16th notes or 32nd notes or notes of un equal time tied together. So I would also suggest breaking down the piece. Under the notation or tab write out [in 4/4 time: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 3/4 time: 1 and 2 and 3 and] for each measure or you can break it down even further. This will give you a good sense where the notes fall in the measure, especially if you are having trouble with tied notes.

For instance, a triplet plays three notes in timing of two.
Depends on what notes your talking about. Two 8th notes, yes. A triplet is just one beat (1 and a).

Katie
Jan-20-2006, 2:23pm
I'll agree with what's already been said. Play the rhythm without the ties first. Play it a bunch of times without the ties. Then gradually try to stop picking where the ties happen to be. Vocalizing the rhythm wight help too. Put down the mando and sing/hum/speak the rhythm...again first without the tie and then with the tie.It really is easier to view ties as individual notes without any articulation between them than to try to add them up while playing. That takes extra thinking.
-Katie

twaaang
Jan-20-2006, 5:36pm
Ira, it may help you to rewrite the passage, with everything under the "tie" still tied-together in as many of the shorter notes as it takes. The result may make more sense to your eye, especially with regard to knowing just where the beat is falling; and beyond that, with interesting syncopations it may help you to sort out your pick attack, so that when things get familiar again your stroke is where you want it. -- Paul

Ira Chavis
Jan-22-2006, 2:51pm
Thanks to all that replied..alot of good advice.

Very appreciated!
ira