PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Miller

wallflower
Mar-28-2004, 1:39pm
The recorded version I've got of Bill Monroe playing Dusty Miller includes only the A and C parts. #Does anyone know of another recording he made of Dusty Miller, which includes the B part? #Thanks in advance!

evanreilly
Mar-28-2004, 5:45pm
Well, I have often wondered why the recorded version of "The Dusty Miller" on Blue Grass Time had only the two parts. #Maybe WSM only felt like playing two parts that day??
Anyway, since I have several live recordings of WSM playing all three parts of the tune, here is a live recording of "The Dusty Miller" (http://world.std.com/~ereilly/dustymiller.mp3) by WSM.
Listen carefully kiddies; this is it!!!

Skip Kelley
Mar-28-2004, 7:07pm
Check out Dan Crary's guitar album he put out years ago. I don't think there is a mandolin break on Dusty Miller but you will at least hear all the parts.

ethanopia
Mar-28-2004, 7:26pm
also I've haerd that the WSM video by HomeSpun has it as a three part...

Scotti Adams
Mar-28-2004, 8:12pm
..thanks Evan I really enjoyed that..it made my day..takes me back to the old days of Beanblossom and the Sunset jam....thers just something about "that" sound...few people get and fewer people understand...

evanreilly
Mar-28-2004, 9:01pm
Yep...
Ole Bill was an old-time fiddler at heart and loved playing 'old-time' fiddle tunes. 'The Dusty MIller' was one he played a real lot, as was 'The Grey Eagle'.....
now... 'Smoky Mountain Schottische' anyone???

Garrett
Mar-28-2004, 10:13pm
Evan,

Is that Bob Black on the 5 string?

evanreilly
Mar-29-2004, 1:50am
Rual Yarborough on the banjo.

JanJan
Mar-29-2004, 8:21am
Evan,
You still perfecting SMS? My fingers have been itching to fiddle recently, but I gotta dig around for my sheet music (forgive me) for SMS. Greetings from MA from Janet and Mr. Nome! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

wallflower
Mar-29-2004, 9:30am
Evan -

Thank you very much!

GBG
Mar-29-2004, 9:34am
If you want to hear the best version of Dusty Miller get Pete Martin's instructional CD.

Garrett
Mar-29-2004, 10:37am
With all due respect to Peter Martin I'm not sure there are any better versions than the one Evan posted. Thank you!

Mar-29-2004, 1:30pm
The Monroe Homespun video shows it very good.

earthsave
Mar-29-2004, 3:33pm
Speaking of the Homespun videos, great videos by the way. A chance to see the late John Hartford, Ralph Rinzler, and Bill Monroe. Sometime this past year I've misplaced my book for the Volume 2 video. Anyone have a scanned version of it they could email me?

Pete Martin
Mar-29-2004, 3:44pm
A good place to look for Dusty Miller versions is from fiddlers of various styles. Kenny Baker plays a great version as do many Texas players. There are so many different ways of playing this, listen to as many mando and fiddle versions as possible.

evanreilly
Mar-29-2004, 4:57pm
I agree that there are a lot of versions of all the real old fiddle tunes. #However, Monroe made an effort to preserve the 'old tones' and the old tunes he heard growing up. #His take on tunes is one of a preserver a variety of styles that have kind of slipped off our modern musical horizon. #He was a professional square dancer before he started his musical career with his brothers. #He thought of all tunes as categories of 'dance times' and put those nuances into his fiddle tunes.
Here is a litle snip from a live WSM workshop where he is explaining the different times and telling the workshop that, in order to play well, one needs to be able to tap out the time with your foot.
Once again, listen carefully, kiddies!!!tap foot time (http://world.std.com/~ereilly/tap_foot_time.mp3)