PDA

View Full Version : Reischman's NEW Gibson

Tim Saxton
Jan-10-2006, 8:27pm
Can anyone shed some light about the Gibson that was given to John Reischman? I walked in on the end of his workshop at Rivercity Bluegrass Festival this weekend. He made a very quick mention of it.

Jonathan James
Jan-10-2006, 11:01pm
Hard to believe they could give him anything new he'd ever prefer to play over that GREAT Loar he owns....

Keith Newell
Jan-11-2006, 1:15am
He joked that "they offered to distress it for me and I told them no I already had one". I thought that was pretty funny.
It's a MM and has a narrower fingerboard then the Loar. He played them back to back on the same tune and it sounded pretty nice. It's hard to describe the sound difference but it lacked a little something. It is new so if it gets played some it will be a pretty nice sounding instrument.
Keith

Nolan
Jan-11-2006, 8:01pm
Does Gibson give away Master models? #I've talked to a few artists who were given Gibsons and their comment was that Gibson said they could have whatever mandolin they wanted but not a Master Model.
I'm sure if anyone deserves a free master model though it would be John R.

John Rosett
Jan-11-2006, 9:20pm
thank you for the compliment, nolan. i'll be waiting by my mailbox.
John Rosett

SternART
Jan-12-2006, 1:15am
John has a few other mando family instruments other than his Loar....he has a Heiden F5.....
it was measured from his Loar.....and a Smart Mandola.......possibly others.....

jim simpson
Jan-12-2006, 8:08am
"Does Gibson give away Master models?"

I don't know if Gibson gave John the mandolin but they approached me and offered to pay me NOT to play a Gibson!!

fredfrank
Jan-12-2006, 8:25am
They asked me to stop playing music altogether!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jim simpson
Jan-12-2006, 8:28am
Fred,
That's pretty bad!

fredfrank
Jan-12-2006, 8:34am
I guess they were afraid if I only stopped playing mandolin, I'd switch to the banjo! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Big Joe
Jan-12-2006, 10:23am
Now that would be very SCARY Frank!!! Thank God you stayed with the mandolin. At least that saved hundreds from potential doom! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

mandopete
Jan-12-2006, 10:28am
He joked that "they offered to distress it for me and I told them no I already had one". I thought that was pretty funny.
#
I can just hear him saying that!

If Gibson did in fact give him a mandolin, I couldn't think of a better musician to evaluate and play it. Could there be a John Reischman Limited Edition model in the near future?

Wesley
Jan-12-2006, 1:30pm
I'd settle for a Homespun Tapes lesson from Reischman.

banjo1
Jan-14-2006, 6:58pm
Hey
Watch them banjar jokes. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Albert Whiting
Jan-14-2006, 8:35pm
From what I have heard they give Master Models to Pros that own a Loar. At least that's what a friend of mine was told when they gave him a Sam Bush model. So I would say it is a pretty good source.

mandopete
Jan-15-2006, 12:33pm
Really?

mandoman4807
Jan-15-2006, 7:28pm
Who are the pros that were given a MM? I do know that Allan Purdue of III rd Time Out has a DMM that he is selling on the classifieds. Not sure if it was given to him or he bought it.

Darrell

Albert Whiting
Jan-15-2006, 7:46pm
I dont know an individual but I do know that when my friend asked if he could get a Master Model he was told only the people with Loars got one, so he picked the Bush model. Alan Bibey may be one that was given a MM but I dont know for sure. I am sure Big Joe could answer for sure.

Albert Whiting
Jan-15-2006, 7:47pm
Also a post above said that john Reischman got a Master Model.

Professor PT
Jan-15-2006, 8:03pm
This question has been asked before on the cafe, and I recall Big Joe claiming that Gibson never gives away mandolins, even to pro players. I could be wrong, of course. However, I would expect that if there is a model named after you, you would get one for free!!

mandoman4807
Jan-15-2006, 8:40pm
I might have misunderstood, but I can swear that Sandy of Cherryholmes said that her Sam Bush model was given to her to play. Also, Darrin Aldridge was given a Gibson F5 as well. I was taking lessons from him at the time that was taking place.

Darrell

G. Fisher
Jan-15-2006, 10:54pm
I heard that Cory Schuler and Jesse Brock were given Sam Bush model mandos. I also heard that a very prominent cafe member got to pick from 3 or 4 varnish ferns and was given the one he liked best.

mandoman4807
Jan-15-2006, 11:27pm
G Fisher,

You talking about Cody Shuler of Pine Mt. Railroad?

Darrell

G. Fisher
Jan-15-2006, 11:57pm
Darrell

Yes, I guess I really messed up that name and I think it may be a Fern that he has.

John M. Riley
Jan-16-2006, 12:07am
I want to hear what big joe has to say about gibson not giving pros mandolins. I personally know a pro who got a fern. I purchased the fern from the guy. I think thats some good proof.

Tom C
Jan-16-2006, 9:05am
It's probably true. I know another Loar owning professional who was supposed to get one. He never received it as of last I saw them. But then again it takes a long time to make these so if they promised them to 15 people it may take a couple of years as they do still need to sell them.

Big Joe
Jan-16-2006, 10:28am
Gibson has given some artists instruments at various times. Many have purchased their mandolins for an artist price, and some have paid full price for theirs. We have traditionally not given varnish mandolins and we do not give custom mandolins. Some have gotten artist pricing on varnish mandolins, but we generally do not give them because of the time it takes to make them. I would never say we have never done anything, but generally that is the rule. For the last couple years all instrument deals have been handled through our Artist Relaions department and they have criteria they must adhere to for placing of instruments. This has to do with number of media impressions per month, relative fame of artist, venues played, recordings made, etc etc etc. We have nothing to do with this in our division. It is a corporate matter.

mandopete
Jan-16-2006, 11:37am
...and there you have it!

fredfrank
Jan-16-2006, 7:42pm
. . . they have criteria they must adhere to for placing of instruments. #This has to do with number of media impressions per month, relative fame of artist, venues played, recordings made, etc etc etc. #
If I had to adhere to those rules, I'd have to pay more than retail for mine.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandoman4807
Jan-16-2006, 10:13pm
Yea, why is it that the rich, and or famous have things given to them? What about the poor working stiffs like me that would appreciate it more http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Darrell

GTison
Jan-17-2006, 1:10pm
If we are talking about ANY bluegrass artist, I bet none of these already mentioned would be rich. Maybe mildly famous. Good for them if Gibson gives em an ax.

Nolan
Jan-19-2006, 10:30am
Alan Purdue told me he had to buy his master model... 20 grand! #Then he said, "Go play it if you like". #Man, that is a powerful instrument. #I think Gibson should give him a few $$ off next time, he sure is good ambassador for their instruments.

jasona
Feb-12-2006, 12:19am
I sat in front of Reischman's new Gibson all day today, and heard it open over the course of a few hours into a monster. I get to listen to it again all day tomorrow too! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Kevin Briggs
Feb-12-2006, 8:59am
I would never say we have never done anything, but generally that is the rule.
Classic

SternART
Feb-12-2006, 10:23am
I saw John's lightly DMM @ Supergrass & took a spin on it....nice mandolin!

jasona
Feb-12-2006, 10:42am
Arthur--John mentioned his belief that tone can be "played into" a mandolin to a certain extent. As the owner of many new fine mandolins, what is your opinion on this subject?

f5loar
Feb-12-2006, 10:52am
That was my question.... Did John get a MM or a DMM? I was at SuperGrass and it sure looked like a DMM to me. Big difference folks! Anybody know for sure or did he get 2?

mythicfish
Feb-12-2006, 11:31am
Ho hum.

Dave Robson
Feb-12-2006, 4:29pm
John R has a DMM dated Dec 16, 2005. I bought the DMM from the Supergrass auction and it is dated Dec 14, 2005 and is one serial number earlier than John's DMM. Both were recorded on the Mando Tasting on Thursday night.

Dave Robson

doc holiday
Feb-12-2006, 7:33pm
I had the pleasure of taking a private lesson w/ John R, friday evening when he arrived in Calgary. #He was sporting only the new Gibson, like Jasona said. #It sounded great. #It was pretty shiny & did not looked distressed at all. #John had no problem getting his well-known tone out of it and he wasn't distressed either. #Nice work on the part of Gibson. #John definitely deserves the acknowledgement
Regards, Doc

jasona
Feb-12-2006, 8:29pm
It is "lightly distressed" around the scroll and back of the peghead. He got that option, he said, because of the different sonic qualities that the distressing imparts, not the look. He says he already has a distressed Gibson.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-12-2006, 8:32pm
Here's a picture of John and his new mandolin that I took at LoarFest. Didn't get this one added to that thread and had sort of bypassed it because the lighting wasn't very good for this shot but I spent some time with it this evening and thought it was good enough to share.

f5loar
Feb-12-2006, 8:37pm
Looks like a DMM to me. Light or heavy a DMM is a DMM not a MM.

JAK
Feb-14-2006, 12:15am
I wonder, did John take the pick guard off, or did it come without the pick guard?