PDA

View Full Version : Ludewig #24 arrives

B. T. Walker
Jan-07-2006, 11:30pm
Ludewig #24, an Emory Lester model, arrived today. The front looks like your standard stealthy EL.

B. T. Walker
Jan-07-2006, 11:33pm
But turn it over, and all h-e-double hockey sticks is breaking loose.

B. T. Walker
Jan-07-2006, 11:35pm
Here's a closeup showing more detail of the back and the binding.

B. T. Walker
Jan-07-2006, 11:43pm
I am so pleased with this mandolin. #It is breathtakingly beautiful. #And is it ever loud! #The sound is so clear, the highs ringing true all the way up the neck. #I've worn my fingers sore playing it all afternoon, and only quit because the cries of my hungry children guilted me into putting it down to fix supper.

Dale is great to work with. #I am grateful he delivered such a fantastic instrument. Tightly curled big leaf maple back (one piece), red spruce top, tortoisehell binding, and emerald green by request. My MAS is thrown into remission.

Dfyngravity
Jan-07-2006, 11:46pm
The green monster....that baby is quite awesome looking. Looks to be a one piece back? And that flame!! Just amazing.

Congrats!

mandoJeremy
Jan-08-2006, 12:55am
Good Lord, that is some freakin amazing wood in there! That leaves me with my mouth just hanging open! Congratulations on a beautiful mandolin. I love the green burst. That so rocks!!!!!

Chris Baird
Jan-08-2006, 1:34am
Hey, nice mandolin, wish one of those would "stealth" its way into my collection.

mandolooter
Jan-08-2006, 1:37am
Im green with envy...

AlanN
Jan-08-2006, 7:30am
In the right hands, that could be like the never-to-be-found WMD!

csstanley
Jan-08-2006, 7:44am
Incredible Hulk. Thats all I can say. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

J. Mark Lane
Jan-08-2006, 7:59am
Wow. That is gorgeous. The man is good, ain't he?

I'm very happy that you have yours, Brian...because that means we are that much closer to me having mine!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

barricwiley
Jan-08-2006, 11:22am
WOW is right, drop dead gorgeous for sure.
Enjoy the mandolin and know you are envied!
Richard

B. T. Walker
Jan-08-2006, 10:45pm
Thank you all for your posts. I feel very lucky to possess #24. It is already a wonderful instrument, and I can hardly wait to hear what happens to it as time goes by.

I encouraged Dale to post to take a bow, but he is not one to toot his own horn, so I guess I'll do it for him. This man has been great to work with. He kept me involved in every phase of the production sending well over one hundred pictures. When we started talking color, I joked about emerald green, but he took it seriously. Dale took his nearly completed two-point and used it as a guinea pig to see how it would look. Now that is dedication. Thank you, Mr. Ludewig.

I feel honored having worked with Dale and owning Ludewig #24. It is so nice, some would be afraid to play it for fear of not being worthy or of messing it up. Not me! I may not be worthy, but practicing to achieve that goal will sure be fun now. Woo-hoo! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hope J. Mark Lane will post pics during production of his F-5 from Dale; he's next in line. How about it, Mark?

And now, back to playing with the new toy,

Brian

Dale Ludewig
Jan-09-2006, 7:20am
Well, I don't consider it taking a bow, but thanks Brian. And thanks for the compliments from all. Brian was great to work with also.

Dale

JEStanek
Jan-09-2006, 8:23am
Dale and Brian, A very nice collaboration. Very sweet looking mandolin. Play it in good health and throw your abandon to the wind.

Jamie

J. Mark Lane
Jan-09-2006, 8:32am
Hope J. Mark Lane will post pics during production of his F-5 from Dale; #he's next in line. #How about it, Mark?
Sure. When Dale sends 'em, I'll post 'em. We've spent a fair amount of time fine tuning the specs on this one. For me, it's kind of a no-holds-barred project. Now I've got to try not to think about .....

<try try try>

jasona
Jan-09-2006, 9:19am
Beautiful work, as always!

Doug Edwards
Jan-09-2006, 10:07am
Gosh Brian, that is really nice!

Big Joe
Jan-09-2006, 10:14am
It's amazing what wonderful things can come from Dekalb, Illinois. That and not a single corn husk in the finish http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

mandodude
Jan-09-2006, 10:35am
It's amazing what wonderful things can come from Dekalb, Illinois.
...not the least of which being Homer Simpson!

Little known fact: Dan Castellaneta, best known as the "voice" of Homer Simpson, was educated at Northern Illinois University, an esteemed institution of higher education located - you guessed it - in the heart of Dekalb, Illinois! So, if anyone ever wondered where Homer Simpson attended college, well, now you know!

Dale: Perhaps a "Homer" model to honor your fair city's second most famous son (obviously you're #1!) should be in the offing... I'm thinkin' something in a bright yellow finish...

Whaddaya think, buddy??

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mark Walker
Jan-09-2006, 10:56am
Brian - that is a beauty! And green is my favorite color - though I'd never thought about it on a mandolin!
I see you mentioned the temporary cure for MAS. Time to order an MAS tee-shirt or sweatshirt from Doug Edwards!

(Doug - wore mine to a jam this weekend; got at least two people interested in getting some! - Mark)

Cheers! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandopete
Jan-09-2006, 10:56am
Hey, I used to be in a band called "Homer Simpson"....

(sorry)

Jim Garber
Jan-09-2006, 11:00am
altair38: That is a beautiful one. Congratulations!

Does it have the soundport and how do you like that aspect? I imagine it would increase the loudness to the player a lot.

Jim

Dale Ludewig
Jan-09-2006, 1:53pm
Ah yes, I also understood that "Homer" came here to NIU. So did I. See what you can do with a degree in English? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif My wife even teaches there, but in a different department/ college. But no, I would not be DeKalb's #1 son; far from it. Perhaps that honor would go historically at least to a Mr. Ellwood, who invented barbed wire- DeKalb's claim to fame. At least one of them. We also had (before Monsanto came along) DeKalb Ag, with the famed flying ear of corn. Care for some corn mold before you design a logo, anyone? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jim- Brian's doesn't have the port. It does increase the loudness to the player, though.

Dale

Dale Ludewig
Jan-09-2006, 1:55pm
Mandodude- bright yellow? Hmm. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

thekingprawn
Jan-09-2006, 2:25pm
I think I actually gasped. #Wow. #That's purdy.

Jim Garber
Jan-09-2006, 2:32pm
Jim- Brian's doesn't have the port. It does increase the loudness to the player, though.
Brian... why did you opt out of that feature? I would think that that would be a plus.

Jim

B. T. Walker
Jan-09-2006, 5:06pm
Jim,

I opted out of the sound port after some discussion with Dale. I decided that it would detract from the beauty of the instrument without actually adding much volume to an already loud intrument. I think Dale's is the only one with the sound port. I did consider it, but now that I've got it in my hands, I think the right decision was reached.

Dale Ludewig
Jan-09-2006, 6:37pm
Brian said it right. The port was an experiment. Emory's mando doesn't have one. I have the one with the port. And, although it does make it louder to the player, I've found it, by and large, unnecessary. The lines are cleaner without it. Mr. Monteleone's instruments put it in much more sleekly (is that a word?). The instruments are loud enough that you really don't need it, even though it does have an effect. As a matter of fact, at a gig yesterday afternoon, a friend was playing my EL on stage and when I got back up he handed mine to me. I played about a half dozen songs and thought they'd fixed the sound system for my mando. Then Pete (my friend) walks up and says "oh yeah, here's the port cover". So I realized it did have an effect. But I don't think it's worth the extra work or cost unless someone (seriously here) has a hearing loss problem. Sorry to ramble on.

Dale

tope
Jan-10-2006, 8:25am
Very nice looking mandolin. Somehow it reminds me of a green spider.

Jim Garber
Jan-10-2006, 10:17am
I was skeptical about the ports when I saw the work a number of years ago by Jimmy D'Aquisto and John Monteleone. However, I got a 1901 DeMeglio bowlback a year or so ago. That one has some small side vents that act as sound ports. It does make a difference esp for the player. It is nice to hear oneself.

Jim

B. T. Walker
Jan-10-2006, 5:21pm
I am nearly deaf in my left ear as a result of losing a joust with an automobile when I was on my bicycle. I was 15 (now 30+ years ago). Seriously considered the sound port just so I could improve hearing myself. It would have been blasting in my good ear, but there really is no need. The Emory Lester is surprisingly loud, surpassing my expectations. It just blows me away.

Brian

Jim Garber
Jan-10-2006, 5:34pm
I am also one eared -- practically deaf in the left also. However, I am always straiging to hear myself in an ensemble situation, so I would go for one if I ever have one built.

Then, again, I play oval holes. In some way an f-holed mandolin would have the soundholes closer to the player.

Jim