PDA

View Full Version : Three part Big Mon?

Cedartop
Jan-07-2006, 4:46pm
I know there are a lot of Bill Monroe experts on here, hopefully someone can answer this. Recently I have been learning Big Mon. In so doing I have been listening to many different versions, all of them have two parts. On a Sam Bush video I have he teaches a third part which he says Monroe wrote and performed. What gives?

Mike S.

Gary S
Jan-07-2006, 5:51pm
I am no expert but I will chime in. I play it as a 3 part tune. The 3rd part has the same chord changes as the first part but sounds more like a fiddle shuffle than a linear melody. Listen to Bill Monroe "Instrumentals" if you can get hold of the old LP. Have fun at it...Gary Silverstein

fredfrank
Jan-07-2006, 6:40pm
I always thought that the fiddle played that shuffle part and the rest of the band only did two parts. At least that's the way our old band did it years ago.

SternART
Jan-07-2006, 7:53pm
I'm pretty sure Grisman plays that shuffle part on the first Tony Rice album.

Ken Sager
Jan-07-2006, 8:18pm
I've seen it transcribed as an alternate A part.

Cedartop
Jan-08-2006, 3:26pm
Thanks for the responses. I think I will play the third part because I like it and it is fairly easy. The guitar player in our group will just have to learn it or not play a third part. This is what I do on Done Gone which he has three parts to and I have two.

Mike S.

evanreilly
Jan-10-2006, 12:47am
I believe it is a three-part tune, with only the fiddle playing the low third part. That is how the original recording is done.

swampstomper
Jan-10-2006, 2:15am
Don't get too hung up on the original recording. Mon played lots of tunes differently live -- the best example is Dusty Miller where he inexplicably omitted the B part on the recording with Greene. And he'd change the arrangement to suit the fiddler(s) with him at any time. Play the parts you like and arrange it the way you want, to play to the strengths of your band. I personally love to play the "shuffle" low part of Big Mon and won't let them pry my fingers away from it...