PDA

View Full Version : Got My Bush Back!

mandoJeremy
Jan-23-2004, 6:54pm
I just got my Bush model back today from Gibson and I am just blown away by it! Charlie, Danny, and the rest of the guys are simply amazing! Thank you all SO VERY MUCH! The varnish looks great and sounds incredible. I will never part with this mando because it is definitely my dream mando! Thanks again guys and when I purchase another mando you can guarantee that it will be another Gibson.

Jonathan James
Jan-23-2004, 7:13pm
That's cool.

Can you discern a difference in the sound/tone, now that you've got a varnish Bush vs. lacquer?

pickinNgrinnin
Jan-23-2004, 7:57pm
MJ-

I remember reading here that you sent you beloved Sammy back to Gibson for a varnish finish job. Must have been some labor involved to remove the lacquer and apply the varnish! Sounds like it was worth the wait. Way groovy http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandoJeremy
Jan-23-2004, 9:07pm
There is a definite difference in tone. It sounds warmer to me but it is still quite loud. I won't really be able to make an exact comparison until I break it in. It shouldn't take much to do that because I can't imagine it getting much better in sound.

mandomood
Jan-23-2004, 9:22pm
c'mon let's see a picture Jeremy....

MandoPicker
Jan-23-2004, 9:25pm
Yes Jeremy, you owe us all a photograph of that newly finished Gibson Sam Bush. I had always thought it was a no-no to alter the original finish on an instrument but this probably proves that theory wrong. A sound clip would be nice as well.

John http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandoJeremy
Jan-23-2004, 10:28pm
Here you all go. #I have 4 pics I will post for your enjoyment.

mandoJeremy
Jan-23-2004, 10:30pm
Another.

mandoJeremy
Jan-23-2004, 10:31pm
Another.

mandoJeremy
Jan-23-2004, 10:32pm
Last one! Time to go pick it some more!

Russ Jordan
Jan-23-2004, 11:48pm
Jeremy,

Your mandolin looks great. Was it a browner color before the refinish?

BTW, that afghan looks great too!

mandoJeremy
Jan-24-2004, 12:05am
Hey Russ, the color is still the same but the varnish did change it a little but not much. Even when it was lacquer it appeared reddish colored like that in photos. I wondered if you would notice the afghan!

Yonkle
Jan-24-2004, 12:13am
Man that looks good, makes me start to "pitch a tent!"

JimW
Jan-24-2004, 2:00am
Jeremy,

WOW, what a nice looking Sammy. I have one also, born on date of 11-18-02 and I think it's a hoss. I'd love to be able to compare the sound of your mandolin before and after. Anyway, nice pictures and my Sammy has the same red hue to the color also.

Jim

mandoman4807
Jan-24-2004, 11:45am
Jermey,

The mando looks great! How long did it take to have the finish rework?

Darrell

mandoJeremy
Jan-24-2004, 11:56am
It took a little more than four months but it was well worth the wait to me.

mandoJeremy
Jan-25-2004, 5:08pm
Hey Yonkle, I did wake up in a "tee pee" the last two mornings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom C
Jan-25-2004, 5:56pm
Where did you get that afghan? Way cool. Mando too.

wolfsong
Jan-25-2004, 7:18pm
Jermey cograts that is one really beautiful mando!

mandoJeremy
Jan-26-2004, 12:30am
That afghan came from our very own Russ Jordan's wife. I am sure he can hook you up with one if you PM him. Thanks Wolfsong, when I am up in the Asheville area I will let you know so you can rip a tune on it. I am so happy with it that I actually have stayed off of my computer most of the day today since I am snowed in.

Skip Kelley
Jan-26-2004, 8:24am
Thats a beautiful finish! Very rich looking. It looks warm if that makes any sense. Congrats~!!!!

Andrew Reckhart
Jan-26-2004, 10:22am
Did you have the string spacing converted to standard? It looks like it from the photos, to me anyhow.
The new finish looks absolutely fabulous, and if the tone is better than it was before Congrats! I am jealous!

If I can ask, what did the refinish cost ya? You don't have to answer that. I didn't realize that Gibson would refinish them in varnish. Pretty cool.

mandoman4807
Jan-26-2004, 4:45pm
Did you have the string spacing converted to standard? #It looks like it from the photos,

The string spacing looks original on this Bush model, (not modified).

Darrell

mandoJeremy
Jan-26-2004, 6:31pm
Good eye there mandoman4807!! It is the standard Bush spacing.

Andrew Reckhart
Jan-26-2004, 7:10pm
I stand corrected! Thanks Guys!

I've never played a 'Bush' that wasn't converted over to normal string spacing. The two that I have had teh pleasure of getting my mitts on were both converted over. Does it take some getting used to?

mandoman4807
Jan-26-2004, 7:18pm
I've never played a 'Bush' that wasn't converted over to normal string spacing. #The two that I have had teh pleasure of getting my mitts on were both converted over. #Does it take some getting used to?

I find the Bush spacing easer to play than the standard.

Darrell

Jan-26-2004, 8:35pm
Great looking mando Jeremy !!!

mandoJeremy
Jan-26-2004, 10:39pm
Thanks Mav and I find the Bush spacing much easier to play even though I had to get used to it at first, and it my be psychological since I am a Bush freak. I must admit that most mandos don't feel right anymore since I have owned my Bush.

BigJoe
Jan-27-2004, 12:17am
We do any kind of repair work on any stringed instrument. That means refinishing or neck sets, fret jobs, crack repairs, brace repairs, retopping, broken headstocks, etc etc etc. Just give a holler if you need something done.

Andrew Reckhart
Jan-27-2004, 10:18am
Do you guys only do repair work on Gibson products, or do you repair ither builders work as well?

Big Joe
Jan-27-2004, 11:38am
If it has strings, used to have string, or could have strings and can be moved by one person, we fix it. In other words, guitars, basses, mandolins, banjos, fiddles, etc, etc, but no pianos. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . We don't care who makes it, we can fix it.

Keith Wallen
Jan-30-2004, 4:33pm
Jeremy the mando looks awesome! I have a Bush model that I got in 2001. Its a lot more of a brown color than yours. I wander if they started changing the colors a little. I hear ya on the string spacing. After I got used to it I can't hardly play another mandolin. I love it. Have you ever played "between the strings" I call it. So to make an A you note the first G string, coming from the top, open and note the second G string on the second fret and with the same finger note the first D string in the same fret and hit the second D open as well as the rest of the strings. It makes an awesome Bush sound. Adam Stefey showed that to a friend of mine. Its a lot easier on the Bush spacing. Well happy picking and maybe we can compare them some day.

mandoJeremy
Jan-30-2004, 5:32pm
Hey mdln, my Bush was built in April of 2000. It is supposed to be prototype #2 and Charlie affirmed that for me a couple of years ago. All of the Bush models I have seen are the same color as mine. As I said earlier, it usually looks very reddish in pictures. If you go look at Elderly and other dealers there pics of Bush models look the same as mine. I know the chord you are talking about and there is another little trick Bush does occasionally. When you play the Bar A chord on the G and D strings with the A and E strings open, only note one of the G strings on the 2nd fret and leave the top one open. Cool Bush sound also.

Keith Wallen
Feb-02-2004, 10:43pm
Thanks Jeremy. I hadn't thought about putting it in that arrangement. Can't wait to get home and check it out. I love that sound. I like that on the other strings as well its just harder to hit. I may have to have the strings spaced farther appart..... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif