PDA

View Full Version : Tone Guard and Cases

Tom C
Jan-04-2006, 9:17am
I finally got a Tone Guard. But I knew it would not be able to stay on mando in my Bobelock. The fit is just too perfect and holders prohibit the mando from fitting. My orig TKL(sp?) does not have the height. So what am I supposed to do, buy a $500 Calton?

Dfyngravity
Jan-04-2006, 10:06am
No you don't have to do that. If you really want a case that can hold the mando with the tone gaurd on go to Cedar Creek Cases, they are the custom shop for TKL. There you can order a custom case. I just ordered one for my solid body electric and it came out to be much cheaper than I thought. All you do is make a tracing of your mandolin, fill out the measurement sheet and case option sheet and send it in. They will then give you a quote. Lots of options from shaped arched case to flat rectangular. In many different exteriors and interiors. They have the option for a hygrometer just like the bobelock. The process is fairly quick and easy. I am very happy with the customer service and can't wait to see my new case.

Ken Sager
Jan-04-2006, 11:06am
There was a thread last year(?) about how to modify your case to more readily accept a ToneGard clad mandolin. I'll try to dig it up. If I recall correctly it didn't resolve a height problem, though.

Lane Pryce
Jan-04-2006, 11:16am
Tom when I had my Bobelock case I placed the TG over the peghead with the grippers down. Plenty of room there for the TG. Never had issues with it moving around in the case either. Lp

Tom C
Jan-04-2006, 11:27am
That's how I currently have it, But I do not like to have to put in on everytime I pick. I do not even like doing that with straps. Maybe I'll just use it when I have a gig and have to stand.

jmcgann
Jan-04-2006, 11:56am
I don't know what kind of case came with my Zeidler, but the 'gard fits right in...

TonyP
Jan-04-2006, 12:01pm
Tom C,
I posted a pictorial of a great fix one of the members here came up with. I beleive the case I did it on was a Boblock. It was a buddy of mine's. He was also doing the "up by the peghead" thing too. This cured it. He's still using the same case, no prob, a year later. I'll see if Ken can find it. If not, I'll see if I can find my pics and post again.

Lane Pryce
Jan-04-2006, 12:44pm
Did that fix involve a wooden dowel,hammer and a marker? Lp

TonyP
Jan-04-2006, 12:54pm
Lane,
In the pics I used a metal rod, but I think a wooden dowel would work, but yes, that's the one.

Tom C
Jan-04-2006, 1:00pm
What did you do? Line up where the posts are and make and indentations in side wall of the form inside the case with hammer and inamimate carbon rod?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Time.jpg

GBG
Jan-04-2006, 1:01pm
I have the same problem with a TKL case. The lid puts too much pressure on the bridge of the mandolin with the tonegard attached. About how much are these custom Cedar Creek Cases?

Lane Pryce
Jan-04-2006, 1:52pm
Tom that is exactly what he did. The idea is to indent the foam where the TG grippers are at within the case. I thought about it when I had my Bobelock but decided in the end to store the TG over the peghead. Too nice a case to potentially ruin. Lp

stevem
Jan-04-2006, 2:22pm
Lane, I saw your toneguard in the background one of those pics you sent me. I was wondering what that contraption was. Sounds like I'll have to get me one of those too after reading all these posts.

One other thing I noticed about the old F9. The first 5 frets have some minor wear, but none of the higher ones really do. What gives? You don't play up the neck yet?
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Just raising trouble...

Dfyngravity
Jan-04-2006, 2:40pm
GBG, it all depends on how customized you get. Just simply asking them to make a normal mandolin case that is slightly deeper and wider to allow a mandolin with a tone gaurd on it probably would make the cost go up much at all. Most of the cost comes from using leather and such for the exterior or making a different shaped case.

I got an End Bound case the size for a solid body electric mandolin, and it is form fitted for the exact shape. PM me and I'll let you know how much mine is costing. Which is probably much higher than something you would get since there isn't much customizing going on.

This is what mine will look like on the outside

GBG
Jan-04-2006, 3:07pm
Thanks for the info Dyfyngravity. An employee at Elderly told me that all the stock shaped cases, which is what I want, are made for a tight fit for a Gibson F5 or their copies, and won't take a tonegard. He also did not recommend putting a tonegard in the case, even if it did fit, because in an accident the tonegard could cause additional damage to the instrument??

Dfyngravity
Jan-04-2006, 3:16pm
GBG, he may be right. I haven't bought a tone gaurd yet but I will be in the near future so I don't know. Although it seems people here are doing it and nothing too serious has happend yet.

Ken Sager
Jan-04-2006, 4:16pm
Ok, it was a GWW case, but here's the link. You may find something helpful.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....=hammer (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=23022;hl=hammer)

WJF
Jan-04-2006, 4:36pm
Just a random thought here that won't solve the case problem but may prevent a ToneGard problem ... I could swear that the fellow who build the Tone Gard specifically recommends against removing and re-attaching the Gard every time you play. If I recall correctly, the Gard is made of metal that has a certain amount of "spring' in it and that's what normally holds the Gard in place. Repeated removal and reattachment of the Gard causes the metal to lose it's "spring" and thereby it's ability to attach to the instrument.

Like I said, I know this doesn't solve the case problem but maybe it will save you the cost of having to eventually replace the ToneGard.

Special note to TomC ... with that nice BRW mandolin you have, you should get a Calton ... it deserves the protection!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

GBG
Jan-04-2006, 4:54pm
Replacing a tonegard is cheaper than buying an expensive custom made case and/or risking damage the tonegard could cause inside the case in an accident just to avoid metal fatigue.

mandroid
Jan-04-2006, 6:05pm
My Arch top TKL rectangular has no problems, a bandana laid in the well was all I did to alter the case,
[ a piece of open cell foam in the lid keeps things in place when case is upside down ]
'spare the rod and spoil the child too, hugs are the way' http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

shawverscrossing
Jan-05-2006, 7:20pm
So I'm taking from this thread that the tonegaurd will fit in a Calton on a standard F?

WJF
Jan-05-2006, 9:23pm
So I'm taking from this thread that the tonegaurd will fit in a Calton on a standard F?
Works on my AL Smart F5 / Calton ...

Mike Bunting
Jan-05-2006, 10:36pm
Works in my Calton on a Collings MF5