PDA

View Full Version : Scale length

doublestop
Mar-26-2004, 6:31pm
I have a mandolin that I have been playing for about 8 months now. I absolutely love it, but I am having a very hard time getting used to the scale length which measures out at around 14 1/8". The mandolin I played before had a scale length of around 13 7/8 which is the length I prefer. My question is this....What are the scale lengths of some other famous builders. What would I be sacrificing tone wise in going from 14 1/8 to 13 7/8. Any help would be appreciated.

sunburst
Mar-26-2004, 7:32pm
13 7/8 is pretty standard for Gibson F5 influenced mandolins made by most builders.
I do know of one or two exceptions, and there are probably others.
I don't know what type of mandolin you have, and I don't know what other scale lengths are
common on other types of mandolins. I also wouldn't speculate on how the sound would
change if it were changed.
You might try posting in the builders forum. Someone might have some experience with different
lengths.

doublestop
Mar-26-2004, 7:37pm
Thanks, that was helpful. I'm going to post on the builders forum right now.

CF5
Mar-26-2004, 8:49pm
I'm afraid that if the bridge is in fact in the right spot giving you your current scale length, the 12th fret will be half way between the nut and the bridge. If you shorten or change this even slightly, the intonation of the entire mandolin will be ruined and you'll never get it to play in tune. Once the scale length has been established by the builder, you can't change it.(unless of course you were willing to replace the entire fingerboard as well)