PDA

View Full Version : flatwound strings

Baron Collins-Hill
Jan-02-2006, 9:35pm
im looking for some medium gauge flatwounds that are fully flatwound, not the half flats that dadario makes. i have some light guage labella's that are on a different instrument and i havent put them on my a9 because my friend had trouble when he put them on his. on his mando the strings sat down in the slots too far and stuff was buzzing.

are there any medium guage flatwounds like the labellas?

thanks for any help
Baron

otterly2k
Jan-02-2006, 9:55pm
there's medium and light labellas, and the mixed set that Ted sells (jazzmando). Other than that, I think you are looking at Thomastik-Infelds for flatwound strings... they're expensive, but I hear they are very nice. They carry light, medium and heavy.

Baron Collins-Hill
Jan-02-2006, 10:07pm
thanks, i think ill try the labellas

baron

otterly2k
Jan-02-2006, 10:11pm
I really like them myself.
If you really like them, you can adjust the setup to account for it. also, you might not have the same problem on your mando that your friend had.

fiddler
Jan-03-2006, 8:27am
I've used both the Jazzmandos and the TI's. I have a slight preference for the TI's, but the Jazzmandos are very similar and about half the price.

Pedal Steel Mike
Jan-03-2006, 8:42am
I have a set of Teds on one of my F hole. They have a more mellow tone. The bronze ones on the oval hole have more bite.

Of course, the 2 mandolins themselves sound quite different even with the same strings, so it's not a completely fair comparison.

signel
Jan-03-2006, 8:54am
I always used thomastik-Infield on my jazz guitars. They make great flat wound strings for guitar, so I have to assume that the mando strings are on par.

Michael Gowell
Jan-03-2006, 12:44pm
If you do a search on 'flatwound strings' you'll come up with many threads and a lot of experience.