PDA

View Full Version : Calton colors

Scott Schmidt
Jan-01-2006, 9:07pm
I am going to be ordering a Calton pretty soon and I was wanting to see some of the different colors they offer. #I looked on the Calton website, but the color sample blocks don't show the exterior colors very well. Thanks! -Scott

dwllal
Jan-01-2006, 11:00pm
Black with Vintage Green

Darren

dwllal
Jan-01-2006, 11:02pm
Black & Vintage Green open.

Darren

Brian Ray
Jan-02-2006, 11:37am
Orange and silver...

Brian Ray
Jan-02-2006, 11:39am
Orange with silver open...

jmkatcher
Jan-02-2006, 11:59am
Look on the Janet Davis Music (http://www.bluegrasscenter.com/c-calton.html) site. I found these a great reference when I ordered my (yellow) Calton.

levin4now
Jan-02-2006, 12:02pm
dasspunk, i remember when you got that mandolin - although I forget who made it (BRW?). Nice matching case!

Brian Ray
Jan-02-2006, 2:14pm
Yeah... BRW.

Potosimando
Jan-02-2006, 3:12pm
Sorry to bring a negative aspect to a fun and colorful topic, but I see a significant flaw in the Calton-color question. #There are a bunch of available texture-type varieties available, in combination with those cool colors, that make the selection process one big fashion high. #However, whether you opt for a solid color or a "granite" (or whatever it is called) finish, I would think that the over-riding reason a person decides to spend several hundred dollars on a case is to maximize the protection of the instrument inside. #To go with any color/finish other than the most heat-reflective choice available seems downright counter-intuitive. #A dark instrument case is going to absorb more heat whenever the case is placed in the sunlight. #Even if a person would say something like "Well I know my cased instrument would never be put in the sunlight", life is simply too unpredictable (over the long haul) to make any such assumption. #

My advice to anyone buying a Calton (Pegasus, etc.) would be to stick with white or a very light color. #Given what is inside the case, the joy of looking at a case, the fashion statement to the world, or a desire for compliments on the case (or whatever) just isn't worth the added heat-absorbtion risk inherent in a cool dark color...in my book anyway. #

Having said that, cool colors are fun. #Cool playing is even more rewarding--not that it's one or the other, of course. #No controversy intended here...always different valid opinions on about every subject. #Consider the above opinion another aspect to take into consideration.

fredfrank
Jan-02-2006, 7:05pm
That's why I have this color . . .

fredfrank
Jan-02-2006, 7:08pm
Open . . .

Coy Wylie
Jan-02-2006, 8:47pm
I have white/silver but I saw a nice granite-white finish on one the other day that was very nice.

Michael Lewis
Jan-03-2006, 2:14am
The colors available for the inside are limited to what Calton offers, but as for the exterior colors, you can ask for just about anything. I usually order the "honey beige" exterior, which is a very nice very light tan which goes very well with the vintage Green, Rose, or Red. They also have a "light gray" that is about the same density of color, but they can mix just about any color you can imagine.

Bob A
Jan-03-2006, 3:53pm
When I ordered my Calton, I requested a silver grey exterior and green interior. I got the reverse. However, I don't think that an hour in the sun will raise the temp too much, with all the insulating padding. The colors on the few Caltons I've seen seem to scrape off pretty easily, however. The Pegasus cases seem to have the colours molded into the shell, if this makes a difference to you.

GBG
Jan-03-2006, 5:15pm
Colorado Case Co. makes covers for Calton's to protect against the heat if you want to invest another $150.

fredfrank
Jan-03-2006, 9:53pm
Yeah, but what do we protect the case cover with?

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Jerry Byers
Mar-04-2006, 3:26pm
Does anybody have a picture of any of these combinations - white/silver, white/blue, lt blue/blue. I know there are some pics on the internet, but I'm looking specifically for pictures of cases with real mandos inside.

f5loar
Mar-04-2006, 9:52pm
After taking 2 college courses in Heat Transfer I went with the solid white exterior and rose inside. I then got the Colorado Calton case cover for it so I'm ready for some hot trunks. Still like the Pegasus case better.

Gail Hester
Mar-05-2006, 4:31am
Here's white/silver.

Jerry Byers
Mar-05-2006, 7:04am
Here's white/silver.
That's what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Steve Greer
Mar-05-2006, 12:01pm
Here is my new Van Deusen Blue with blue interior.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/993659/VCYEQ-calton004.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/993659/QCAUI-calton003.jpg
Steve G

Jerry Byers
Mar-05-2006, 12:07pm
That's the one that I was looking at. You guys are good.

dan@kins
Mar-08-2006, 10:59am
dasspunk,

thats an aesthetically pleasing combonation you have there.

Daniel1975
Jan-11-2007, 7:29pm
Oh what the heck... it's worth a shot. It worked for Jerry. Does anyone have Van Deusen Blue w/ vintage green interior. Thanks

Dan

R. Kane
Jan-11-2007, 9:08pm
I've got a light gray granite for my Flammang EL guitar. Should have ordered a black interior. But its a great case. I had thought about reflectivity, and visibility.

At the March Mandolin Madness weekend last year I saw a stunning camoflage random-dribbled green/orange/red/brown/etc. Calton mandolin case. Like a Jackson Pollock painting. No doubt in my mind that if I ever order another Calton I'll get that one. It popped!

I'm sure that if you're seriously considering an order, they'll send you a couple of good photos of the colors and patterns before you decide.

Mandobar
Jan-12-2007, 9:57am
richard, the pollack finish is an extra $75. (i got that info from mike at acousticguitar.net).

Dan Margolis
Jan-12-2007, 10:42am
Mine, black, green interior, came used with my mandolin. Otherwise, I would have ordered a light-colored one. Since most of my guitar cases are also black, I try to keep 'em all out of the sun. One reason for a brightly colored case is to improve visibility. Bright red or yellow are good for that. Dan

mythicfish
Jan-12-2007, 11:26am
No piasley? Fuggedabowditt.

Curt

Mandobar
Jan-12-2007, 10:09pm
i believe the guys at calton will attempt just about any design. they've done some "artier" stuff for lots of folks.

piiman
Jan-13-2007, 5:27pm
I'm getting a used green one comming with my new mandolin, I to am of the thought that it should be white or some other light color to reflect heat. What about painting it? any body done that with any success?

mandroid
Jan-14-2007, 3:08am
piiman..

I'd check with your local Chevy body shop about what process they use to paint Covette Sportscars . #catalyzed #paint may bond better to FG than to steel , since the finish is a bit porus .

'droid, with an A style Cal (white, green liner) came with EM retrofit A50.

PseudoCelt
Jan-14-2007, 12:31pm
I call this the "Elvis in Las Vegas" colour scheme (white outer/gold inner):

PseudoCelt
Jan-14-2007, 12:32pm
This case came witht he mandolin. If I was going to choose one myself, I'd go for yellow or royal blue outside.

Jerry Byers
Jan-14-2007, 1:25pm
I like that combination.

PseudoCelt
Jan-14-2007, 1:39pm
When the case first arrived, I didn't like the colour scheme at all. Now I'm used to it, I really like it.

I do find it a little irritating that I get complimented far more often on the case than on the (considerably more expensive) mandolin, especially as I can't even claim credit for the colour scheme!! Compliments mostly come from fiddlers, so what do they know!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Patrick

Rick Crenshaw
Jan-14-2007, 2:24pm
I went for what I thought would be a good UT Vols orange, but I sprung for the speckled granite finish. I have the silver/grey interior so I basically have a Dasspunk model with the granite finish. It takes the edge off the bright orange which can be a plus or a minus. Depends on your outlook on the color orange.

My two main concerns were: lighter color for less heat absorbtion; and, high visibility factor. You are more likely to noticed walking off with an orange mandolin case than the more ubiquitous black, grey, white, etc. case. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-14-2007, 2:26pm
I have cream ext. and red int. and that work fine for me, everybody who has seen loves it.

Laura Leder
Jan-16-2007, 7:19pm
Cool Mandolin Company (http://www.coolmandolin.com)
Hi, Rick,
Would you be able to post a photo of your case?
I just ordered that combination and would love to
see it.
Laura

Phil Jolly
Jan-18-2007, 7:10am
Ditto Rick,
I just ordered the same (cream/red) and would like to check it out too.

Rick Crenshaw
Jan-18-2007, 5:19pm
OK, hope the images are not too big! #Here's my Orange Push-up/Vols colored mandolin case!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/870313/PICT0001.JPG
The orange is really oranger than that shows. I'm an absolutely horrible photographer. I'm a 'you had to be there' kinda guy.

Rick Crenshaw
Jan-18-2007, 5:22pm
Another with case open!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/870313/Caltonopen.jpg
Again, my photography stinks! It can't be the camera... gots to be the man behind it. I don't get along well with Adobe and such programs - mainly cause I don't know what all those buttons do.

Rick Crenshaw
Jan-18-2007, 5:27pm
Finally, my ultimate case alongside the one I use day in day out... my Modern Case with Kamp 2006 instructors' signatures. #They all thought I am good enough to play professionally and warrant the fantastic mandolin that I own! # ... OK, I lied. #At least they thought I was a great guy and everyone of them said how much they enjoyed me being in their Kamp Klass! # ... OK, that's a lie, too. # Well, at least they didn't yell at me and throw me out of their classes. #... and that's the truth! #"Tthhppppt!" #(paraphrasing Lily Tomlin's kiddie character)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/870313/PICT0007.JPG

OK, the Modern Case is not that much larger than the Calton. #That's an optical illusion. #The Modern case is a bit bigger, but has padded backpack straps which makes getting around festivals and Kamp very easy while leaving your arms totally free. #It holds a fair amount of stuff including room for a moderate sized tab book or a pile of sheet music. #AND it is still sturdy enough that I'd feel OK if I dropped it or someone fell on top of it. #It's not as strong as my Calton, but it's wall and door jam friendly... my Caltons, especially the guitar Caltons, are not.

squirrelabama
Jan-20-2007, 2:48pm
Charcoal grey with vintage green.... I agree with prior posts about light colors though. Peter Coombe did a fairly lengthy study on that issue. Pretty interesting. -geoff

Jonathan Peck
Feb-02-2007, 4:17pm
Where's the best place to order the color scheme that I want. I checked with Janet Davis. They seem to have the best price, but a 24 week lead time.

BTW- I'm looking for a Deluxe model with Orange exterior and Black interior. This is my 3rd case and I'm looking for something a little different

Jerry Byers
Feb-02-2007, 4:33pm
I think if you're going to order a special combination, it's going to take the same lead time regardless of the dealer. The delay is with Calton, not the dealer. I would go with Janet Davis based on price and service.

Jonathan Peck
Feb-02-2007, 5:38pm
Thanks Jerry. Both times I was looking, it was buy what's in stock, or wait 6 months. Since I was looking for ordinary color options it was an easy choice. Dealers stock is usually pretty ordinary...black, white, charcoal, exterior. I found a black one in stock locally, but the jams that I go to, there's always a few black ones laying around. I want to be able to find my case in a dark room after a late night. Bright orange, that'll do it.

markishandsome
Feb-02-2007, 9:51pm
I bet at least 95% of all string instrument cases ever made have been black. Most instruments outlive their cases. I'm sure a lighter color gives you some slight extra protection from heat damage, but if mando players cared about functionlity more than aesthetics, there'd be a whole lot more A5s inside those cases.

Crowder
Feb-03-2007, 12:06am
Finally, my ultimate case alongside the one I use day in day out... my Modern Case with Kamp 2006 instructors' signatures. They all thought I am good enough to play professionally and warrant the fantastic mandolin that I own! ... OK, I lied. At least they thought I was a great guy and everyone of them said how much they enjoyed me being in their Kamp Klass! ... OK, that's a lie, too. Well, at least they didn't yell at me and throw me out of their classes. ... and that's the truth! "Tthhppppt!" (paraphrasing Lily Tomlin's kiddie character)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/870313/PICT0007.JPG

OK, the Modern Case is not that much larger than the Calton. That's an optical illusion. The Modern case is a bit bigger, but has padded backpack straps which makes getting around festivals and Kamp very easy while leaving your arms totally free. It holds a fair amount of stuff including room for a moderate sized tab book or a pile of sheet music. AND it is still sturdy enough that I'd feel OK if I dropped it or someone fell on top of it. It's not as strong as my Calton, but it's wall and door jam friendly... my Caltons, especially the guitar Caltons, are not.
I am a huge fan of the Modern cases. I just bought a mandolin that has one, which is my second one. I don't think the Caltons offer any more protection, and they have a lot less storage.

One great thing about a Modern case is that you can stand it on its end and use it as a jamming stool. It doesn't give any under my 210 pound load.

Rick Crenshaw
Feb-03-2007, 12:20am
I've bought all my Caltons (3) from Mike at acousticguitar.net He lives near the Calton factory and has known the owner a long time. He keeps some on order all the time. He MIGHT have a spot open which can help shorten the 6 month lead time. Even if he doesn't he provides excellent service and price. I know Janet Davis advertises here and we should support her shop, but Mike is a great alternative.

barry
Feb-03-2007, 12:07pm
I'm usually not a "case nut". #But I think this custom order Calton for my Kimble mandola is the "bee's knees"....

barry
Feb-03-2007, 12:08pm
Interior.

Dave Dearnley
Feb-06-2007, 3:19pm
Light Gray Granite Deluxe with Blue.

Dave Dearnley
Feb-06-2007, 3:21pm
Sorry, can't help but throw in the Price case too!