PDA

View Full Version : circle of 5ths doublestops

John Rosett
Jan-01-2006, 5:03pm
i was playing with a western swing band last night, and came up with a neat little thing i thought i'd share. we were playing a song in F, with a desending chord pattern that goes A7-D7-G7-C7-F7. i found that i could play a chromatically desending double stop that goes like this:
A7 D7 G7 C7 F7
D string 5(G) 4(Gb) 3(F) 2(E) 1(Eb)
A string 4(C#) 3© 2(B) 1(Bb) 0(A)

it sounds really cool in a song like "please don't talk about me when i'm gone" when the band is chunking along, and you play this with tremolo. i really like how the 3rd and 7th flip-flop back and forth.
happy new year!

John Rosett
Jan-01-2006, 5:58pm
it's funny how all the stuff i typed in lines up when i go back to edit it, but doesn't line up correctly here. if you move the chord names to the right a little bit, it is easier to understand.

Jim Broyles
Jan-01-2006, 6:27pm
Yeah, that's a cool one. I've been using it on guitar for a long time, except that it would be a fret higher on the higher string:

.........................A7......D7.......G7...... ..C7..........F7
5th string 4th C# 3rd C 2nd B 1st Bb 0 A
4th string 5th G 4th F# 3rd F 2nd E 1st Eb

Pedal Steel Mike
Jan-01-2006, 6:52pm
You're talking about parallel tritones. And yes, it works perfectly. The 3rd and 7th of one chord become the 7th and 3rd of the next one.

The G note is the 7th of the A7 chord, the F# is the 3rd of the D7, the F natural is the 7th of the G7 and the E is the 3rd of the C7.

Likewise the C@ is the 3rd of the A7, the C natural is the 7th of the D7 etc.