PDA

View Full Version : My Buryl McConnell # 004 #Pics

banjo1
Jan-01-2006, 12:58am
I wanted to get these posted before but , you know how things happen.

The strap is a new design by my bride and I.
Round braided deerhide. and I will post the color options as soon as I get pics.
More pics in General mandolin discussion section of the Cafe.

Buryl McConnell is builder/repairman in the north Georgia Smokie Mountains.This is serial # 004 and he has not built very many and I am trying to talk him into building more.

After weeks of tweeking(me learning how to do it mostly)it is finished.I will only change string from this point on.The sound is killer,loud,Great chop(sounds like a gun going off)kinda :)Very,Very Loar like in sound.

Oh pics

banjo1
Jan-01-2006, 12:59am
And this.

banjo1
Jan-01-2006, 1:00am
one more

banjo1
Jan-01-2006, 1:01am
one more

Mark Walker
Jan-01-2006, 9:29am
Looks decent enough to me - both the mandolin and the strap! #Is that a varnish finish on the mandolin or laquer? #Looks 'subdued' to me - like a matte finished varnish. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Oh - and by the way: Happy New Year! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

banjo1
Jan-01-2006, 3:02pm
Thanks .The finish is nitro-lacq. the subdued finish is a thing that I just did.The mandolin was built in 1994 and I just became the proud owner early in November.
A few too many scrapes and scratches for my taste on a 10 year old mandolin for me(I am picky)So I did the satin look to the lacq.I used 0000 steel wool and did not apply much preasure so the look takes a little time to see, but worth it.
Thanks

george kraushaar
Feb-06-2006, 10:37pm
I played banjo in Buryl's family band back in the early 80s. #I haven't heard his name in years. #I remember when he built #1. #It looked a lot like yours.

In that photo of the sides it doesn't look like the binding is scraped very well. #It could be just the quality of the photo I see on my screen

george kraushaar
Feb-06-2006, 10:38pm
I played banjo in Buryl's family band back in the early 80s. I haven't heard his name in years. I remember when he built #1. It looked a lot like yours.

In that photo of the sides it doesn't look like the binding is scraped very well. It could be just the quality of the photo I see on my screen

banjo1
Aug-30-2007, 1:23am
Great to hear from someone who knows Buryl.The binding color is due to the age of the lac. that Buryl used when he finished the mandolin.
So the pics that you see on you screen is correct.
Good to hear from you .:;):