PDA

View Full Version : Rumor has

Scotti Adams
Mar-26-2004, 2:21pm
..that Wayne Benson has quit IIIrd Tyme Out and has joined the John Cowan Band....Alan Purdue formerly Mountain Heart and Ramblers Choice has joined 3TO...Im not saying this is true or false but its all the buzz on another forum...maybe Wayne, if hes watching, can set the record straight. If he has moved on I say more power to him...hes been with 3TO along time and Im sure hes anxious to try something different...I will continue to like whatever and with whomever he plays with...

Mar-26-2004, 3:07pm
That will certainly change my plans if true. John Cowan has a show here (near DC) in late April that I hadn't planned to see but if Wayne is with him then I'll have to buy a ticket.

ShaneJ
Mar-26-2004, 3:27pm
Wayne seems to be a truly nice guy. I'd wish him well wherever he goes or stays.

mandopete
Mar-26-2004, 3:53pm
Hmmmm, that is interesting. #A couple of years ago when IIIrd Tyme Out was here at Wintergrass, Russell Moore made a comment about the band being more than the sum of it's parts and that "if one player left the band, they would probably disband as a group".

Shortly thereafter Mike Hartgrove left and joined The Lonseome River Band. #Now if Wayne Benson leaves, that will 2 original members gone. #Not that this is unusual, it happens all the time, I just thought it was a bit ironic given Russell's commnents.

On the other hand it sounds like a win-win situation. #I can clearly see Wayne Benson in a more progressive band such as John Cowan's and Alan Perdue would be an outstanding addition to any band!

AlanN
Mar-26-2004, 4:04pm
Minor correction, Wayne was not an original member of 3TO - it was Bibey, Baucom, Moore, Hartgrove and Deaton.

mandopete
Mar-26-2004, 4:07pm
Yes, you are absolutely correct sir!

mandoJeremy
Mar-26-2004, 4:55pm
And you all are correct that Wayne is leaving and he is going with John Cowan. #Alan Perdue taking his place with IIIrd Tyme Out is also correct. #Boy, news does travel fast since I learned of it Monday night and it is now only Friday.

chirorehab
Mar-26-2004, 6:49pm
Great move for Wayne! I would imagine more freedom on the mandolin. It should open him up to a new audience too.

I love Wayne, but I don't really care to much for IIIrd Tyme out. Just not my cup of tea...

Best of luck Wayne!

Eric

Mar-26-2004, 8:32pm
I wish Wayne the best. He is one of the greatest, but his sound was a big part of IIIrd Tyme out and I am gonna miss seing him with them http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Mar-26-2004, 8:34pm
Anyone know when this change is taking place?

Eric- what is your favorite group?

Crowder
Mar-26-2004, 8:47pm
I hate to see him going with Cowan. He's got a great voice, but by most accounts he's kind of a mess, and he's picked a lot of (IMHO) questionnable material to lend his talents to over the last few years.

mandoJeremy
Mar-27-2004, 12:35am
First of all, Wayne should be leaving in four weeks as of last Monday, so three more to go. Second, Crowder you have to realize that Wayne has many influences but one of his greatest is NGR and to play with that is a dream come true for a lot of us. He has one of the best voices ever and he has been a mess, but that doesn't mean he still is. I have been myself but I am no longer one and it very much bothers me that people hold your past against you so much. As far as material goes, if you didn't like NGR then don't listen to Cowan now because that is what made them and continues to make Nickel Creek...."questionable" material. If you want traditional and Monroe, then go see someone else or do it yourself but don't down people that have a mind that is creative.

Crowder
Mar-27-2004, 2:22am
As far as material goes, if you didn't like NGR then don't listen to Cowan now because that is what made them and continues to make Nickel Creek...."questionable" material. #If you want traditional and Monroe, then go see someone else or do it yourself but don't down people that have a mind that is creative.
I don't mind NGR or Nickel Creek, but thanks for the generalization. I was thinking more about the tired soul standards and Bob Marley covers that Cowan (and Bush) seem to want to play so many of. I saw "The Sam Bush Band" with Cowan and I think it was Darrell Scott on guitar, with a drummer. It pained me to see such great players playing such mediocre, unrehearsed music--but Sammy just seemed to love doing his crazy fast chop thing on the backbeats of those reggae numbers so much that he didn't care if it got old for those of us out there listening. My impression of Cowan is that he's like a toy soldier.....you can just wind him up and he'll sing the same way on any tune, without giving much thought to it. That's not genuine music to me, it's more like Mariah Carey. JMHO, YMMV, and all the other disclaimers. Just don't put words in my mouth please. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Scotti Adams
Mar-27-2004, 6:54am
..now boys..am I gonna have to seperate you two? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif ...just be happy...Im sure its the best move for all the people involved no matter what their issues might be....let it roll

AlanN
Mar-27-2004, 7:34am
To each his own, for sure. At Merlefest one year, I was leaving at the end of the day to the sounds of Cowan hollering out Good Woman's Love. Made me glad I was walking that way...

Jonathan James
Mar-27-2004, 7:45am
Yes, to each his own. That Cowan moment at Merlefest was one of my highlights of the festival. I got goosebumps. His vocal power on Good Woman's Love is truly unbelievable. For comparison sake, I listened to Monroe's version of that song the other day. No vocal comparison.

This Benson/Cowan thing could get really intersting.

chirorehab
Mar-27-2004, 9:04am
Tim-in-VA,

Hmm, favorite group....

Anything with mandolin & without vocals! Hehe! #I like so many different types of music....

My Ipod mix has a lot of DGQ, TRU, The bluegrass XX series, Wayne Benson, Chris Thile, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Johnny Staats (no vocals! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif ), Butch Baldasari, Bill Keith, and others.

Also in the mix (with vocals)is Phish, String Cheese Incident, The Beastie Boys, Jane's Addiction, P-Funk, Coldplay, Spearhead (my cousin is their guitarist & they are playing at Telluride this year!), and others!

I really have been digging DGQ & the Wayne's playing on the Bluegrass XX series ALOT!

I use this mix when I go snowboarding and when I run - so I like upbeat stuff.

Eric

mando bandage
Mar-27-2004, 9:32am
Gotta weigh in on the John Cowan issue. I thoroughly enjoyed his performance at Telluride last year, though I hadn't really heard anything of his since NGR. Recently picked up his "Always Take Me Back" album. He uses lots of different vocal styles on that one.

R

Tim Saxton
Mar-27-2004, 11:25am
Wow,

I can't beleive he is leaving to be in a Rock band.
3TO is one of my all time favorite bands with it's line up including Wayne.

Oh well I am glad that NBB is still strong.

Tim

Fretbear
Mar-27-2004, 11:43am
Poor John, people either love him or hate him; I'm not saying....

mandoJeremy
Mar-27-2004, 12:31pm
Actually John has gotten a little more away from the electric thing and is leaning back to the acoustic side of music. I agree Fretbear, most people love Cowan or hate him. I happen to think he is one of the most gifted singers no matter what style he sings. He may not necessarily be a bluegrass singer but I don't think he claims to be.

mandopete
Mar-27-2004, 1:45pm
Oh well I am glad that NBB is still strong.
Nashville Bluegrass Band? It's been quite awhile since we've heard anything new from them.

ShaneJ
Mar-27-2004, 5:48pm
There aren't many voices as good as John Cowan's, IMHO. #He's a terrific talent (singer, songwriter, guitar player, etc.). #He's probably made mistakes in life, but who hasn't? #Maybe Benson can be a positive influence, if needed now?? #Some of Cowan's songs don't appeal to me, but most certainly do. #mandoJeremy, I agree with you. #Cowan doesn't aim through his nose for the "high lonesome sound". #His natural voice is about as strong and clear as a singer could hope for--no need to "try" to sound like someone else.

Combine that with Wayne Benson's mandolin, and it ought to be awesome. #3TO will hopefully continue to do well too. #Those guys can definitely sing with the best of 'em too. #It's nice to not need to search for instrumental-only mandolin music to keep from having to listen to poor singing. I really appreciate anyone or any band that can both play and sing well. A lot of times, it seems you only get one or the other.

Spruce
Mar-27-2004, 6:51pm
"For comparison sake, I listened to Monroe's version of that song the other day. No vocal comparison. "

Apples and Oranges....
That's like comparing Michael Bolton to Lightnin' Hopkins.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

AlanN
Mar-27-2004, 8:26pm
Funny, I always thought that band - 3TO - put a muzzle on Wayne's mando-ness to a certain extent. He has a very creative attack and presence on the mandolin that was modified and shrunk a bit to fit the band sound. Nothing wrong with that, just it seemed that at times, it was "don't do that".

chirorehab
Mar-27-2004, 10:09pm
Is Jeff Autry still with John Cowan?

That would be nice - Wayne & Jeff!

Eric

StoneSt
Mar-28-2004, 7:50am
[QUOTE]Apples and Oranges....
That's like comparing Michael Bolton to Lightnin' Hopkins....

I was busy trying to come up with the right analogy when I read yours, Spruce. #Perfect! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandoJeremy
Mar-28-2004, 8:34am
Yes Autry is still with Cowan. I agree with you AlanN, I have felt for years that Wayne had to hold back a lot but now he will be able to stretch out more.

AlanN
Mar-28-2004, 4:20pm
So by my reckoning, Wayne was with 3TO from 1993-2004, an 11 year stretch, a lifetime for being a BG band member. Incredible. I have some amateur video of the band at the Peaceful Valley fest in Shinhopple, NY (Arnold Banker's old fest), summer of '93. The band was very different then - Ray on electric, I think Abernathy on banjo and Mike H. on fiddle. I have on tape Wayne shredding Monroe's "Lochwood", which was part of their set list then.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Mar-28-2004, 7:36pm
I agree with Crowder about Cowan. he is extremely talented, Howeer I just don't like the band dynamic. The thing is he has had some of the absolute best-my favorite- musicians with him lately. Autrey, Luke Bulla, Randy Kohrs, vestal, and now Wayne Benson. I have seen them alot, and I just don't think they Jell togethor in that context. It's kinda like the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. And I do like NGR, some Nickel Creek and other non-traditional acts. I will be very interested to see Wayne Benson in that context. I have heard he used to want to be in a Sam Bush-NGR type band big time in the early 90's. Truthfully, I thought he was reigned in on 3to's studio stuff. However, the two live at the Mac albums I just thought he played his butt off and really shined.

Scotti Adams
Mar-28-2004, 8:06pm
..you know...Ive made that comment more than not..I think those 2 Live at the Mac Cds is Waynes best stuff...he really unleashed it....on all the other records and the times I have seem 3TO live he seemed to be "contained"...

Scotti Adams
Mar-29-2004, 10:57am
...Wayne didnt quit 3TO for the sole purpose to go with Cowan...hes been wanting to quit for sometime now..he saved enough money and split...then the Cowan thing came along. I personally think 3TO has been in a rut for a long time...this will be good for Wayne..

mandopete
Mar-29-2004, 10:58am
I think it's all about striking a balance......

Third Tyme Out is about vocals, I believe they won the IBMA vocal group of year award for a number of years. #The fact that they have any instrumentalists within the band is merely icing on the cake IMHO. #I would be willing to wager that Wayne Benson accepted this as a member of the group.

But think about all of those great Bluegrass '95 through Bluegrass whatever (I think John Cowan was one one of those too) recordings Wayne participated in with Scott Vestal.#I think he really got to stretch out on those and I was really sad to see that project come to an end. #Perhaps that may have fueled his desire to go off and do something else.

JDARTGOD
Mar-29-2004, 11:30am
[QUOTE]I personally think 3TO has been in a rut for a long time

I couldn't agree more Scotti.....I saw them last year and I was truly disappointed (outside of Greg Luck and Wayne Benson). I've watched them steadily decline over the last few years into what seems to be a very flat, disinterested show. Maybe I caught them on a bad day, but when you cram a whole 6 tunes into a @ 40 minute show and spend AT LEAST 15 - 20 minutes screwing around on stage trying to be funny or cute (or have little inside jokes going on that the crowd has NO idea what you're talking or laughing about), it gets old really quick.

Not bashing them at all, just calling it from a fan's perspective. They certainly paid their dues though. It didn't get much better than IIIRd Tyme out from @ 92 - 98. And, oh my, did they get around on the circuit. They have a very loyal fan base to boot.

But I'd say it's about time for a break or some new members. Member changes happen alot, and they should in my opinion; to keep from getting burned out or "in a rut".

Mar-29-2004, 11:51am
Okay, being one of the biggest 3TO fans, I wanted to disagree with the rut part. #But, having read the part about the on stage banter, I have to concede. #I attended one show where the promoter (and apparent friend of the band), felt that he needed to do personal introductions of each member and it seemed like time stopped as he went on and on with the inside jokes. #Not exactly the band's fault but similar things happened at other shows with conversations from the stage to audience members, etc.

Scotti Adams
Mar-29-2004, 1:22pm
..I Like 3TO..and I like to hear Russel sing..now doubt one of the best...but..everything has started to sound the same....they need another good lead singer to try and shuffle things up a little...

Scotti Adams
Mar-29-2004, 9:36pm
...it would be cool if Bibey went back with them...

Magnus Geijer
Mar-29-2004, 10:01pm
Did you notice who is selling a Silver Angel A-style in the classifieds?

chirorehab
Mar-29-2004, 10:37pm
So, Autry, Vestal & Wayne together in a band with Luke Bulla - sounds real good to me!

Eric

mandoJeremy
Mar-29-2004, 10:40pm
Vestal is no longer with Cowan. #The banjo player is Rex McGee from North Carolina and he is the guy that tabbed out the Drive albulm by Fleck so I think he should probably be able to rip it. And Luke is no longer with them either.

Thomas
Mar-30-2004, 10:00am
I'm conflicted here. I think the guys in 3TO are as nice as they come. Russell is a great singer. Steve is one of the funniest, nicest guys around. Wayne is one of my first inspirations when I took up mandolin. I'll have to agree that the on-stage schtick has gotten old. Greg Luck is a nice addition to the band, but I don't think they use him enough, especially for vocals. Wayne's best work is on the Bluegrass series, IMHO, and I hope he can stretch out with Cowan, but I really don't care for Cowan. So now what do I do?

Flowerpot
Mar-30-2004, 11:35am
"Vestal is no longer with Cowan. The banjo player is Rex McGee from North Carolina..."

Rex can handle it. He's not very well known outside the region, but he's one of the few who could fill the shoes of Bela or Scott Vestal, no doubt. He's so talented it's flat scary.

Mar-30-2004, 11:42am
I'm with you Thomas .. 3T0 was one of my favorite all around bands. I will miss seeing Wayne with them. # They always seemed like a good O'le down home band.

I also agree Waynes best stuff is on the Bluegrass XXXX series.. Also My favorite instrumental by him is on the Mando Monster cd that was put out. It was called around the horn.

Hey Jeremy seems like you used to play that tune back in the old days. You remember that one?

AlanN
Mar-30-2004, 12:21pm
Around the Horn is a fune/fun tune, written by Jay Ungar. I think Wayne's most adventurous recording efforts that I've heard are on Vestal's In Pursuit of Happiness and the Live Wire stuff.

Fred G
Mar-30-2004, 12:27pm
Is there a date he will be joining Cowan? they are playing nearby April 21st.

mandoJeremy
Mar-30-2004, 2:52pm
Hey Maverick, I still do remember that one and most of Wayne's other recorded breaks plus some I stole from live tapes of him with LiveWire and 3TO! I know that Wayne was going to play a month's notice but Russ Jordan informed that Wayne will be with Cowan this Saturday in Statesville, N.C. I don't know for sure but I would guess that it would be at Perry's.

Scotti Adams
Mar-30-2004, 6:31pm
..The Cowan band will be in Columbus Ohio on May 15 along with T. Rice and a host of others...Im sure Wayne will be with him then....Ive already got my tix for that show...

mandoJeremy
Mar-31-2004, 9:59am
They are going to be at Perry's Auction Barn this Saturday if any of you N.C. guys are interested. #Luke Bulla will be sitting in to sing with them because the percussionist had surgery. #Should be a cool show. #Also, AlanN Vestal's "Pursuit of Happiness" is an excellent showcase of some of Wayne's adventurous picking! #I learned a lot from that albulm in my younger days!

AlanN
Mar-31-2004, 11:22am
Hey Jeremy,

I always dug Wayne's wild ride on "The Fly". I asked him once what he did there, he said "You expect me to play that again?" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandoJeremy
Mar-31-2004, 12:18pm
That is one killer tune and Vestal just totally rips it, as well as Wayne and I must admit that it took me quite awhile to get that one up to speed. I couldn't play that fast now if I had to!

Mar-31-2004, 1:41pm
The John Cowan website (http://www.johncowan.com/) today announced that Wayne is joining the band with a first show of Perry Auction in Statesville. #I know that is nothing new versus the above posts but is from a more "official" source...

Kevin K
Apr-04-2004, 5:04pm
Can anybody report from the show this weekend?