PDA

View Full Version : What would be the response?

banjo1
Dec-30-2005, 7:08pm
My wife and I have been working with leather minaily dear skin for years.

We can get some colors that others cant.(custom die lot)
If the quality was good what type of response could we expect?
It would be a 4 strand round (bull whip)type with ends that would work for F models and another type that would work for an A model.
Let me know good or bad.

Ed Lutz
Dec-30-2005, 7:13pm
I would like to see the "A" strap. Any thoughts on the price yet? Sounds like a great idea. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

banjo1
Dec-30-2005, 8:44pm
Hi Ed
I dont have one made yet.I am still working on the mounting design(secure but easy).I see others have done them and some have quit advertising them(too many orders?)but the mounting system is the hold up.
I will keep everyone posted as they become ready.
I have seen them out of braided cowhid from $15.00 to $25.00 for A models and $20.00 to $30.00 for F models still that depends on the length.

Zed
Dec-30-2005, 8:56pm
I've always relished the idea of a nice soft, round deerhide strap... but not willing to pay even $25 for one. $15 (for an A) would be my top. (yep, i'm cheap http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif )

MandoRebel
Dec-31-2005, 9:23am
I like that idea. Deerhide is very soft and would be comfortable over the shoulder. It's probably a good venture.

banjo1
Dec-31-2005, 12:45pm
I is always here.I know what you mean MandoRebel, great tag line.
Straps are for going to happen.
Lots of folks and lots of questions.
Thanks

Roydw3
Dec-31-2005, 12:49pm
I would love one...I have talked to one of my hunter friends to see if he would allow me to try to make one from some of his deer skins this year. He said he would, but I don't know what to do. I was going to give it that old college try. Anyway, I'd love to have a maroon looking strap or reddish brown. I don't know what your plans are but these are things I have been looking for

glauber
Dec-31-2005, 12:49pm
Make 4 or 5 and sell them through the Cafe classifieds. That should give you an idea of the demand. Search the classifieds for "strap", to see what others have been selling and at what price.

charliede
Dec-31-2005, 3:04pm
Sounds like a great idea. #Especially if you had unusual colors. #I, myself, would like a rust colored one. #The other thing you should consider is various diameters. #For me, the fatter the better. #When you make up your samples, post some pictures. #Also check Ebay to see what the competion looks like.

banjo1
Dec-31-2005, 4:14pm
The first F model prototype is done.Cream colored deer hide braided(4strand round braided like bull whip)loop for the scroll( clearence between scroll and body of mando very important here)I am happy very with ( my wife and I tugging at each end #of the strap and the loop did not move or slip) but the strap button end at the tailpiece is still in the works.

Looks like it will be better (strength wise) to make each customers strap according to your present strap length and not one that will fit all players.Truley custom made for each player.

I still need to do a little research befor they are ready.I do not want anybody dropping a mandolin at any price because of one of my straps.
I am sure that fool proof http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif #will have to be included with each strap.
One question to all you A model players, how many A models have a strap button at the heel of the neck area and how many tie off around the peghead?

mandroid
Dec-31-2005, 4:34pm
I would like to suggest the braid to be around a core of 1/4" high density foam [or, perhaps, wool felt]
foam ads to the comfort a bit , 'chinese handcuff' tubular braid would work well with strips of nice soft deerhide.. Brown tortoise color stained for me..

banjo1
Dec-31-2005, 4:53pm
I like the suggestions from all.
Heres some pics of the prototype:

banjo1
Dec-31-2005, 4:54pm
And the other end

banjo1
Dec-31-2005, 4:57pm
A full pic including mandolin

banjo1
Jan-01-2006, 12:21am
What do you all think.
$22.00 for the F strap
$18.00 for the A strap
plus shipping of $8.00 or so to anywhere in the lower 48 states.

8ch(pl)
Jan-01-2006, 6:36am
Wouldn't it be warmer if you left the hair on?

JimRichter
Jan-01-2006, 9:15am
Randy King has been making deer hide straps from southeastern Indiana deer for the last year and has successfully sold them through the classifieds. That's about all I would use now. I had a roo strap that I used for awhile and sold to go back to using the deer hid strap. It's a very strong yet soft leather and seems to be perfect for a 4 strand braid for mandolin.

To see some of the deer hide straps that Randy has done, here's the thread in the Cafe message board:

Deer hide straps (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=27338;hl=strap+and+deer )

I'd be all in favor of seeing a different deer hide strap design. Great strap leather.

Jim

Ed Lutz
Jan-01-2006, 3:14pm
"A" model feedback to you banjo1. I attach my strap to the end pin (button hole)and the peghead. This end of the strap has a hole with a leather thong run through it to attach it to the peghead. It is 46"'s long and has three holes spaced one inch apart from the end. I would like a fourth hole spaced above the third hole. Dark brown if possible but natural will do as well. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Zed
Jan-01-2006, 4:33pm
"A" model... strap button mounted on neck heel.

banjo1
Jan-01-2006, 7:11pm
Thanks for the feedback folks.
I have a few more pics in the Pictures of Your Mandolin section of the cafe.
More colors and an "A" style strap to come very soon.
Thanks

Ted Eschliman
Jan-02-2006, 8:17am
It's been nice for everybody to be a part of the development here, but let's remember once these straps are in prodution and ready to be sold, the appropriate place to deal in commerce is in the Classifieds section.

Might be a good idea to set up a web page with final pictures that could be linked; we just have to be careful the Discussion Board isn't used for sales. We have several strap makers who participate in the Forum and we need to be fair to everybody.

banjo1
Jan-02-2006, 12:00pm
Thanks Ted and I have planned that webpage since I have seen the response(all good)
This topic is not used for sales at all, only for its purpose.Discussion.
But I will give it a rest, so on to other topics.