PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky mandolins

Yuletide
Dec-30-2005, 1:24pm
I have a KM250SC that cost around $500 new a dozen or more years ago. Since I don't ever see the 250SC advertised, I'm assuming it's out of production now. But I believe that the only difference between the KM250SC and the KM250S was that the SC has a center hole instead of f holes. I regularly see the KM250S advertised for less than $250, or half what the KM250SC went for, and I'm assuming that this would have been the price in the early 1990's too. Did a person really have to pay double to get a center hole, or is there some other difference that I'm not aware of?

Jim Broyles
Dec-30-2005, 3:22pm
I'll bet your 12 year old KM250SC is a much higher quality instrument than its modern counterpart:
http://www.elderly.com/items/90U-4078.htm

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM250S.htm

357mag
Dec-30-2005, 4:15pm
Ive been kind of following Kentucky mandolins myself. Seems the early Japanese instruments were far superior to current production stuff and command higher prices.

Ken Berner
Dec-31-2005, 10:19am
I believe the last two posts have hit the nail on the head. The Japanese-built Kentucky mandolins were simply finer instruments than the later Korean and Chinese offerings. My first mandolin was a Korean one and did not measure up to those from Japan I had seen and heard.

Dfyngravity
Dec-31-2005, 3:25pm
I have owned on Kentucky mandolin, it was a KM675, but I have played an earlier one that was Japanese built. They were both very loud mandolins, but tone wise the Japanese built one was much better. Most Kentuckys I have seen are acutally fairly well built. I wish they used ebony for fingerboards and bridges though.

Joe F
Dec-31-2005, 11:40pm
I have an early-1980s Japanese-built KM-200S that has been a good solid workhorse over the years. #Except for a graphite bridge saddle that a local luthier made for me (and which dramatically increased the volume), everything on it is original.

I've been told by others, who know a lot more about these things than I do, that it was one of the best-sounding Kentuckys they've heard (referring to the tone of the instrument itself, not the quality of my playing).

Bob DeVellis
Jan-01-2006, 9:11am
I have family in Boston and visit there at least a couple of times a year. While I'm there, I often crave a mandolin to bang on but don't like toting good instruments around with me when I travel. So, this last time, I bought a KM150S as a mandolin to leave in Boston for when I'm there. I hadn't really planned to do this, but went by the Music Emporium in Lexington just to see what they had. After playing their best mandos (including a really sweet, if rather pricey, A4) I mentioned to a salesman that I'd thought about getting an inexpensive mandolin to leave with family in Boston. He suggested that I try the Kentucky.

I was very surprised at how it sounded. Both tone and volume were decent and, frankly, down right impressive on a sub-$200 mandolin. After they adjusted the action at the nut for me, I lowered it a bit at the bridge, reset intonation, and filed some sharp fret ends and bridge corners. The original setup was actually quite good but I like the action lower. After they did the nut, I said I'd take care of the rest. (In fairness, I didn't want to have them invest much more time in such an inexpensive instrument.) In fact, the reason that it initially played and sounded as well as it did is largely due, I am confident, to the care that had been taken in setting it up. Really, only the slightly-higher-than-ideal nut action was an issue and for most players it probably wouldn't have been a problem.

It's not a Collings, but it's better than I would have expected by a considerable margin. I don't know what will happen over time, especially because it will live in an environment (my mother's house) that isn't regulated for humidity and can get really dry in winter. But even if the action ends up needing to be raised some, it's playability is remarkable and the tone is surprisingly good. I've played other Kentuckys and not since I sold my first mandolin, a Japanese KM200S, have I played one as good. I don't really know how far above the norm this one is, but if the typical one is even moderately close (and if the instrument lasts without imploding, having the neck bend like a pretzel, or having the tone evaporate), they're fairly impressive for the small price tag. Interior work was sloppy and the materials were generally not very good; but the finish was fairly nicely done and the tuners worked. And, most importantly, it played nicely and sounded decent.

Kodiak
Jan-12-2006, 10:24pm
Would those of you who have Japanese Kentucky mandolins please post your serial numbers if you know the year of production? I have serial number 18683. I'm trying to figure out, as close as possible, when it was made. Thanks. #Also, if you have any background information on the KM-500S model that you can pass along, I would appreciate that also.

Brian
Cincinnati, OH

Richie
Dec-25-2009, 5:54pm
I have a late 80's (somewhere between 1987 and 1989?) km-200s with s/n 16544. It also has the original "made in Japan" sticker behind the headstock. Hope this helps!

mandotopia
Dec-25-2009, 8:52pm
Click on social groups above. Search for "kentucky" and it will take you to a discussion group where serial numbers etc can be posted.

GrandpaCorn
Mar-31-2016, 2:27pm
Hi All:

I have a Kentucky F style Mandolin sn 012262 km675

Anyone know how old it is?

Also the numbers are handwritten ??

wsugai
Apr-01-2016, 11:09am
I have a recent China-mfg Kentucky that was sold as a KM-505 but has a label showing KM-RT (or R+, can't really tell) as the style number. The headstock inlay and appointments confirm either a 505 or 500.

I've sent inquiries to the usual sources (including Saga) but, so far, none have replied. Thought I'd tap into the general Café readership for available info.

BTW, that mando is just amazing, considering the price.

J Mangio
Apr-01-2016, 3:47pm
Hi All:

I have a Kentucky F style Mandolin sn 012262 km675

Anyone know how old it is?

Also the numbers are handwritten ??

February, 2001