PDA

View Full Version : Switching from a three finger grip

Kbone
Dec-26-2005, 10:53pm
I've been told throughout my playing that I'm hindering myself with a three finger grip, so I made the plunge and have been working on the normal grip but I still feel like I don't have the contol and drive ( power ) with the three finger. Q : Is the normel two finger grip better ? and how can I make it feel normal. I'm using a GG pick if that matters. please advise..

Ted Eschliman
Dec-26-2005, 10:58pm
Two finger grip for me. Big thing isn't so much in the fingers as it is relaxed hand & forearm. (This enables you for even more power if done right...)
Explanation (http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000169.shtml)
Caveat: don't let others be dogmatic for you, though. It's still YOUR hands.

John Flynn
Dec-26-2005, 11:11pm
When I took a clinic with Jody Strecher, which BTW was the best and most productive mando instruction I have ever had, he taught us three different pick grips. He uses a "fist grip" for tremelo, a "pencil grip" for single notes and a three finger grip for really heavy duty downstrokes. He said he switches between grips constantly.

Personally, I don't care for the GG picks or the Dawgs because with no point, they don't give me enough feel of the strings, so I tend to want to "dig." If you like that thickness of pick, but with a rounded point, try the Dunlop 207. If you want a sharp point, the Dunlop 208. I know Sam Bush likes the GG's but he could play well with a bottlecap! I started with really thin picks, then migrated to really thick picks and now I am swinging back to the middle. It really is personal preference, but one thing should be constant: You should use the pick that allows you (not anyone else) to pick with a relaxed hand rather than a tense one, no matter what grip you use. Relaxed is always better!

GBG
Dec-27-2005, 12:20pm
IMHO there is nothing inherently wrong with a 3-finger grip. I don't like the pencil grip, but there are good players who use both methods.

Ken Sager
Dec-27-2005, 1:33pm
Here's why I don't like the 3-finger pick grip.

The pick moves further away from your hand requiring more of a rocking motion of the hand to pick. This rocking of the hand, versus pivoting at the wrist and elbow, will result in a weaker pick motion through the strings and requires more of a finger dip into the strings, too. Aside from a loss of tone and volume (which can be made up for by aggressive picking) the biggest problem I've encountered with folks who use this type of grip is in their timing. The more you use your fingers the less you use your wrist/elbow. It's easier to keep time when you're using your larger muscles than just your fingertips.

YMMV,
Love to all,
Ken

Kbone
Dec-28-2005, 9:37am
Ken: I find I have more strength with the three finger, as the pick is more stable in my hand, but there is a rocking motion like you stated.

Ken Sager
Dec-28-2005, 12:06pm
Keith,

I'd bet it's a stronger grip for you because you're used to it. When picking single-string melodies do you roll as well, or do you do more finger movement with your hand still? This is where the strength is lost and timing issues come into play.

If you want to change to a thumb/forefinger grip it will be awkward, and will take time and practice. But, over time your accuracy, strength, tone, and timing will all improve.

I'm all for using what works, and everybody is different. Don't change if you're happy where you are with your right hand setup.

Best,
Ken

Kbone
Dec-28-2005, 7:38pm
Roll ? I think it's basically moving my hands with an up and down motion.

Ken Sager
Dec-29-2005, 1:42pm
Roll ? I think it's basically moving my hands with an up and down motion.
There's your problem! You need to keep your left hand from moving up and down while your right hand moves up and down.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jasona
Dec-31-2005, 12:58am
I had an instructor who converted me to a three finger grip. I have in the past year converted myself back to a two finger grip, and find I now get better tone and volume with the two finger grip--and it puts my hand in a more natural position, which is everything for speed and good tone.

Dave Cowles
Dec-31-2005, 9:25am
Are there any pics or illustrations of the types of grips being discussed? Links?
Thanks -
Dave

Bob DeVellis
Dec-31-2005, 10:16am
This is literally a case of different strokes for different folks.

jasona
Dec-31-2005, 9:56pm
Are there any pics or illustrations of the types of grips being discussed? Links?
Thanks -
Dave
This thread shows the two finger grip. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=25;t=29025;hl=pick+and+grip +and+compton)

Kbone
Jan-01-2006, 9:40am
I think I'm going back to the three finger grip, as the two finger isn't working and I have more power and control with the three finger, I guess I'll just have to be an odd ball.

Steven
Jan-01-2006, 10:35am
I struggled with this question myself,stubbornly refusing to change from the 3 finger grip for the first 18 months of playing the mando.Constantly hearing how the 2 finger grip was the best way to play I began to try it and evaluate why I had such a difficult time with it as opposed to the 3 finger.First off I found my volume and tone were far better with the 2 finger grip,but I had no control unless I shifted my hand back toward the bridge out of my normal picking area.Well that was no good!No good at all!Finally it occured to me that the real problem was my small hands/short fingers,going from 3 fingers to 2 fingers moved the pick back quite alot in my hand forcing me to shift my arm away from my normal reference point on the instument in order to play where I like.The answer for me was an arm rest that elevated my arm and allowed my hand to move forward where it needed to be without my hand hitting the strings forward of the bridge.The arm rest returned my reference point to the original spot on the mando where my arm normally anchors.This really did the trick and after a few weeks of using the 2 finger grip with the rest my ability to play and get more volume,tone, and most importantly control was greatly improved.I built my own arm rests and they are substantially higher than commercially available ones (3/4"-1").Sorry for the long winded post,just trying to help!

Kbone
Jan-01-2006, 1:18pm
Thanks for the tip, I like you also have small hands, but unlike you, the volume is better with the three finger as i have more strength going into the picking motion. I do see how with the two finger grip the wrist is more free, or loose, but i don't have the power, especially on the upstroke. I really wish it would work, but it just feels weak to me.

jasona
Jan-01-2006, 3:22pm
Early on, when I switched to the three finger grip, I agreed with you Kbone. However, after working on my right hand technique for the past year, I now get way more volume and tone with a two finger grip, and it takes much less energy to get that volume.

But many great pickers use the three finger grip--as do all fiddlers http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

woodwiz
Jan-01-2006, 5:12pm
Well, I'm mostly a fiddler, but I get a lot better volume and tone (on a mandolin) from the standard two finger grip. One of the absolute keys to playing fast and smooth is relaxing both hands, including your grip on the pick. #If you have to tense up to get volume, it's just going to slow you down and hurt your tone, in my experience.

Ken Sager
Jan-01-2006, 11:43pm
Well, I'm mostly a fiddler, but I get a lot better volume and tone (on a mandolin) from the standard two finger grip. One of the absolute keys to playing fast and smooth is relaxing both hands, including your grip on the pick. #If you have to tense up to get volume, it's just going to slow you down and hurt your tone, in my experience.
So true, so true.