PDA

View Full Version : Skip Kelley Mandolins

kgp1
Dec-26-2005, 7:38pm
Has anyone played Skip Kelley mandolin? Any thoughts?

Lane Pryce
Dec-26-2005, 8:20pm
Yes I have one and know of two other owners here at the Cafe. I like mine. Lp

Dfyngravity
Dec-27-2005, 10:11am
Josh Pinkham was playing one. He has done some recording with it, I think the the mp3 of Josh playing Fisher's Hornpipe on the mp3 page he plays his Kelley. He has said some good things about it. Although I know he is now playing a Vintage Red Diamond.

Thomas
Dec-28-2005, 1:02pm
I've played 2. One I loved, which is why I went to Skip's house and played the second, which I didn't like as much. Both were A models. The first had been played in and was LOUD. It vibrated against my belly and just killed me, it was so good. The second, that Skip had just built, wasn't the same. Maybe it was new, maybe it was just different. Ship is a great guy and a good choice for a small builder.

Lane Pryce
Dec-28-2005, 2:56pm
Purchasing a custom mandolin is a pretty big step in the world of mando picking. I am of the opinion that most experienced builders instruments will be consistant in terms of the fit,finish and sound. Its up to you to do the legwork --- get out and play as many customs in the range you can afford. Go for the one that speaks to you and you will have no regrets. Lp

AlanN
Dec-28-2005, 3:04pm
I played Skip's #2 or #3 F, maybe 5 years ago. Wonderful tone, feel, looks.

kgp1
Dec-29-2005, 6:44pm
Has anyone played number 9?

Lane Pryce
Dec-29-2005, 8:13pm
#9 was/is Skip's personal mandolin. It is a very good mandolin tonally as well as aesthetically. Pics in the eye candy section. Lp

CAS
Dec-30-2005, 9:58am
Skip done some work on my gibson and he was nice enough to loan me one while he had mine. I was very impressed with craftmanship of the mandolin. It looked like a gibson but with the kelly name in the scroll. It sounded as good as some gibsons I've played in the past also. Upon talking to Skip, I learned he is very wise on setups and knows how to make one sound good! (As I learned from taking mine there!) If I had known about Skip, before i bought the gibson, i might might have got a kelly F5. You'll get alot more mando for the money!!

kgp1
Jan-19-2006, 2:16pm
JLP:

How would you describe the tone of Skip's number 9? I know this is subjective--just looking for an opinion.

Lane Pryce
Jan-19-2006, 3:27pm
Its a cannon. Cuts through in an acoustic jam like a hot knife in butter. The treble is a head turner and the bottom end is penetrating. Chop is top shelf. You will not be disappointed with that one. Lp

bluegrassplayer
Jan-20-2006, 10:49am
I played one while at RBW, I personaly think that it is a better quality than the Gibsons that I played(with the exception of the DMM).

jaco
Jan-20-2006, 11:14am
I've played #5, #8, and own #12. #5 was Josh's main mandolin until he got the Red Diamond. His Dad Jeff plays it now, but they still had #8 last October. Mine is still opening up and getting better. It is a beautifully made instrument with a one piece back. The earlier ones have been played in and are cannons. I was blown away by them and put my order in. The same week I played the Pinkhams' I also played a Gilchrist and Collings. Skip's are up there with the best of them IMO.