PDA

View Full Version : Teachers in Twin Cities?

Dylan Hatch
Dec-25-2005, 11:20pm
Hi folks-

I've been playing for about a year. I started with a teacher who gave me very little advice on mechanics, and after 6 sessions realized he just didn't have much to give. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
Since then I've been working on my own with help from a good Jim Dalton beginners book, loads of info from the Cafe, and lots of persistence. So far, it's really going great, but I know it would go even better with a good teacher.
Lessons are very hard to fit into my schedule. I work a lot of hours, spend every possible second being a dad and husband, there's just not a lot of free time floating around. I'm proud of the fact that I'm practicing every day(sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes 90 minutes). I'm thinking a lesson every two weeks could be well worth crow-barring into my schedule, but this time I want to make sure I'm getting the best teacher possible. Is there anyone out there with advice for good mandolin teachers in the Twin Cities, Minnesota?

G. Fisher
Dec-26-2005, 12:23am
Try Mark Briere at Homestead Pickin Parlor.

Kbone
Dec-26-2005, 11:27am
I'd second what Greg said...

OlderThanWillie
Dec-26-2005, 9:38pm
Matt Thompson of the Monroe Crossing band gives lessons. I believe he lives in South Mpls. See the Monroe Crossing website.

Chris Silver also gives lessons. He lives in River Falls, WI but spends a lot of time in the Twin Cities. He has run ads in the MBOTMA newletter offering lessons.

hedding
Dec-27-2005, 1:31pm
I would like to send out the third reply for Mark Briere, I just started taking lessons from him around september and whats nice is that he doesn't put a lot of pressure on you to play, he enjoys playing with you and he allows you to tell him the direction you want to go with your playing, rather than him tell you where to go. Whats also nice is that at the Homestead Pickin' Parlor you can schedule lessons based on when you want to, bi weekly or just whenever you have time, no pressure at all.

Dylan Hatch
Dec-28-2005, 10:28pm
Thanks for the advice, folks- I thoroughly appreciate it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
In January, I think I'll go by and talk to Mark at Homestead, I had heard of them, but it's nice to get some actual feedback.

Joe F
Jan-03-2006, 3:53pm
Count me in as a fourth vote for Mark Briere. #I've been taking lessons from him for a few years, and even on those days where we simply pick tunes for a half hour, I come away feeling that I've gained something.

He teaches at the Homestead Pickin' Parlor on Wednesday nights. #He also plays in a couple of local bands, "Hello Stranger" and "Switched at Birth."