PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Anderson

jim simpson
Dec-22-2005, 8:28pm
This is a picture of my 1st good mandolin, a G.N.Anderson (Gerald). It is a #24, I kept it for about 10 years. Bought it from an ad in Bluegrass Unlimited (on approval).

jim simpson
Dec-22-2005, 8:29pm
I liked the pick guard on it. Here's the back.

Russ Jordan
Dec-22-2005, 8:51pm
Cool! Where does #24 live now?

I have #93

Lane Pryce
Dec-22-2005, 9:35pm
Very nice F5. Definately has a vintage look to it. Russ do you miss that Anderson A? That little A turned me on to just how good an A style mandolin can sound. It sure had the tone and volume plus a little more!! Lp

Russ Jordan
Dec-22-2005, 10:16pm
You mean this one? #Yeah, I miss it but I can't keep them all! #This is Anderson #103

Mark Walker
Dec-22-2005, 10:19pm
Russ - that's got a purty back! #Does that (#103) qualify as 'flame' or 'quilt?' #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Russ Jordan
Dec-22-2005, 10:54pm
#103 is quilted big leaf maple, one piece back.

#93 also has a quilted one piece back that I got from Spruce. #Here's #93:

jim simpson
Dec-23-2005, 8:10am
"Cool! #Where does #24 live now?" - Russ

A friend said he spotted a girl from CA at IBMA playing it. He tried to confirm this but she disappeared in the crowd. Perhaps she thought she was being stalked! I would like to play it again to see if I remember how it sounded to me. It's funny to run into players that have instruments that you've once owned - like a family reunion. There is always something about the instrument that allows you to recognize them.
I had a friend who had a Monteleone #24 back when I had this Anderson. They had a lot in common from the tailpiece to the scooped fingerboard extension

Dfyngravity
Dec-23-2005, 9:53am
Russ...do you have any pics of the front of #93? That back is awesome!

Russ Jordan
Dec-23-2005, 10:21am
front #93

Russ Jordan
Dec-23-2005, 10:22am
headstock #93

Mark Walker
Dec-23-2005, 10:31am
THANKS Russ...VERY, VERY nice. #Beautiful headstock and inlay too.

There are just simply FAR too many gorgeous pieces of wood on this website! #I've seen some one and two-piece backs with the 'quilted' grain, 'flame', 'tiger-striped...' #

I'm not sure what my latest Silver Angel qualifies as - it might be a quilted look; Ken painted an angel on it for me and stained the grain to look sort of look like clouds: #(I hope it's not improper etiquette to put a picture of my Angel into this thread...)

JEStanek
Dec-23-2005, 12:31pm
Those Andersons are all beautiful mandolins.

Jamie

Dfyngravity
Dec-23-2005, 2:33pm
yup, #93 sure looks great. I definitely wouldn't mind trying one out.

chuck.naill
Dec-24-2005, 11:34pm
Gerald Anderson #24. Is is possible that you bought this mandolin from someone in Tennessee?

If not, sorry, but I had Gerald make one for me when he was with Gary Henderson in Mouth of Wilson, VA several years ago. I bought the pick guard, tail peice, and turner separately and ask Gerald to use them on my mandolin. THe pick guard shows the same streak of gold as did the one on mine. I also remember the discoloration of the scroll.

THe very nice gentleman who bought mine used to send a CHristmas card every year to update me what was going on with the ANderson he had gotten from me.If you were the buyer tell me how the mandolin matured.

Best Regards,

Chuck Naill/Knoxville. Tennesss

jim simpson
Dec-25-2005, 12:24am
Chuck,
Hi, yes this is the one! I played the heck out of that mandolin requiring at least 3 re-frets during the time I had it. I thought the bottom end always sounded great. I did make a bone saddle for it and this seem to brighten up the high end. I picked up a Ratliff after the Anderson that had the greatest mid and high end but didn't have the low end that the Anderson did. I presently own a Daley and a Gibson F5G that both seem to cover the sound spectrum that I like. It is great to hear from you after all these years.
Jim

chuck.naill
Dec-25-2005, 2:38pm
Well, how nice to hear from you, Jim. I went through several mandolins and some that I should have kept. I had a 1921 Gibson F2 that was valueable from a historic perspective, but never did much for me from a sound stand point.

I am considering getting the instrument below. If you have the time to evaluate, let me know what you think. IF you have other options also let me know.

Regards,

Chuck

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-M-Kelly-Legacy-Elegente-F-Mandolin-Antique-Sun_W0QQitemZ7376879283QQcategoryZ10179QQss
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-M-K....iewItem</a> http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

jim simpson
Dec-25-2005, 3:45pm
Hi Chuck,
It certainly looks nicely appointed. I've had an opportunity to play a couple of the MK's and so far haven't played one that sounded right to me. The price point is attractive enough but I think you would have to get an approval period on it before commiting. I have been impressed by the Eastman line and have reports of satisfaction from other players that I know. They are priced a bit higher but I think the value for dollar is there. I'd like to hear about what you end up with.
Jim

chuck.naill
Dec-25-2005, 4:51pm
Dear Jim,

Well it is interesting you mention Eastman. I just talking with a dealer 20 miles from me with several mandolins from Eastman. I plan to get together with him next week. Any suggestions about which models?

One reason that I sold the Anderson is because I like the Norman Blake mandolin sound and he uses round hole Gibsons.

Thanks for your expertise.

Chuck

jim simpson
Dec-29-2005, 3:49pm
Hi Chuck,
Did you get a chance to check out the Eastmans yet? I don't know the models well enough to say which ones I've seen or played. They all seem to have plain looking stain finishes - no striking sunburst. I think the price point was around $1100 or $1200.
Jim

chuck.naill
Dec-29-2005, 5:24pm
Jim,

I am planning to see them next week. However, I have to other ideas in the oven, a Mid Missiouri and I have access to a Gibson circa 1902-08 that I am trying to get restored. Also, I emailed and got a reply re Glenn Mandolins. Be welcome to comment your thoughts and opinions

I love these projects!!! I spoke to Mid Mo this AM about some ideas I have. That's the way it was with Gerald, I am glad you had so much fun with the f model and that you allowed me to find it again via Mandolin Cafe.

Happy New Year,

Chuck