PDA

View Full Version : My New Distressed Gibson

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 2:14pm
Well, here is my new mandolin from Gibson and it is the first Distressed Sam Bush Model. The sound is just amazingly vintage and it definitely looks old. Danny Roberts picked the woods for this one and did great. It has MM grade wood with Red Spruce top.

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 2:18pm
I just finally came up for air after having this since Monday. Danny Roberts, Dave Harvey, Big Joe, and Tom Montgomery just totally did this whole thing perfectly! Thanks guys so much for making a dream come true!

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 2:20pm
It was hard to capture the color just right so I tried a few times. I am still almost speechless every time I look at this thing and play it!

Fred G
Dec-22-2005, 2:20pm
very cool! I like the back.

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 2:22pm
And this is a perfect scroll!

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 2:24pm
More.

tree
Dec-22-2005, 2:24pm
I reckon they did the random hippie sanding as part of the distressing process . . . how appropriate for this model. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ##

Man, that ax is a beaut, just looking at it makes me want to pick Leather Britches!

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 2:25pm
Here is the headstock with the Master Model flowerpot and Gibson script.

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 2:26pm
The back of the neck and my distressed Waverly tuners.

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 2:38pm
Now, I am done posting pictures for a while. First, please just do me a favor: If you are a Gibson basher please don't even bother to post on this one because I am totally happy with this thing and your opinion really doesn't matter to me. I have a mandolin that you can't replace with any other brand, style, etc. Now to the small review. This thing already sounds quite played in and has this dry, vintage tone. Plus, it does have that special smell!!! Dave Harvey did an amazing job with the setup on this one and there is nothing I would change about it at all. He knows how to get the sound and playability that you want. I can honestly say that this is a flawless Gibson in every respect. Danny Roberts, again what a guy to work with! He just went beyond the call of duty for me on this one and it certainly shows in the end result. I don't really know what else to say because it is still hard for me to gather my thoughts on what a great mando this is. The distressing was very tastefully done by Casey and it looks authentic and not mention that you can just tell what a wondeful guy he is that loves his work. It truely met my expectations and actually exceeded them! All I can say is WOW! I wish I could invite you all to my house to play it! My faith in Gibson has definitely been restored and raised to a new level. Those guys know what they are doing down there.

Jack Roberts
Dec-22-2005, 2:40pm
beautiful. Congratulations.

tree
Dec-22-2005, 2:49pm
Aw c'mon - just one more pic. The curl in the back of the neck looks pretty sexy to me.

Philip Halcomb
Dec-22-2005, 2:50pm
Jeremy, that's one awesome mandolin, congratulations...

Brian Aldridge
Dec-22-2005, 2:56pm
Great looking instrument, but above all, it just warms my heart to see someone so happy and thrilled by their mandolin. Congrats Cody, and enjoy Christmas with it.

Darryl Wolfe
Dec-22-2005, 2:58pm
That is really really nice MandoJ. #Great job by all the folks at Gibson. #That really captures the Bush Model in a new and pleasing light to me.

jasona
Dec-22-2005, 3:02pm
Way too much finish on the treble side to be Hoss! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nice new mando Jeremy!

John Flynn
Dec-22-2005, 3:02pm
If you are a Gibson basher please don't even bother to post on this one
Since it's right before Christmas, you get a pass. Just this once. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Clyde Clevenger
Dec-22-2005, 3:10pm
I've been distressing my Bush for 5 years now, I'll tell you something that will make you feel even better. Mine was the best mandolin I'd ever played 5 years ago and it gets better every year. Just smile when they bash, makes them wonder.

Steven Stone
Dec-22-2005, 3:11pm
Dave Harvey is the man.

The set-up he did on my '31 Fern is nothing short of perfect.

IMHO the extra shipping cost of sending a mandolin to Gibson for Dave to set-up is more than worth the money.

Flowerpot
Dec-22-2005, 3:12pm
Very cool, great looking mandolin. Hope you get to put some of your own distressing on it, over many years.

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 3:15pm
Thanks for the kind replies guys. My other Bush model was five years old and had amazing sound but I do believe this one beats it and I am looking forward to many, many, many years of picking on it! Oh and Brian, I am Jeremy not Cody. Cody is my friend that asked about the f-holes thing!

JD Cowles
Dec-22-2005, 3:19pm
hey man you got ripped off. somebody already wore that one out! that's a real nice piece of mandolin jeremy. hope you have many happy years of pickin on that one. is that a fishman bridge pickup?

happy holidays-
jeff

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 3:23pm
No, that is my Barcus Berry Hot Dot wedged between the base and saddle and a Countryman Isomax IIC mini mic. Check out the cool mount Dave Harvey made me to hold the mic on there! Nice. Also, this one isn't overly distressed either. It is just right.

Darren Kern
Dec-22-2005, 3:25pm
Absolutely beautiful man, congratulations!!! It sounds like you put a lot of time and thought into having them build just what you wanted, and they came through for you. I didn't know you could get anything but a MM distressed, that's very cool. Man, I can't get over how good that mando looks. In my opinion, the colors and burst transitions are absolutely perfect. If I could order one today, it would look just like yours, color wise.

JD Cowles
Dec-22-2005, 3:46pm
thanks jeremy, i seem to remember you talking about the hot dot in the past, gotta give one a try. #that mount looks like old pick guard hardware, way cool. once again congrats on a classy lookin axe.

Mando4Life
Dec-22-2005, 3:47pm
Congrats Jeremy!

Can I ask what some of the 'distressed' features are? I can see it on the PH shot but can't tell in the others.

Enjoy, you lucky dog!

WBL

Mark Walker
Dec-22-2005, 3:57pm
While I probably wouldn't OWN a Gibson, (well, PURCHASE one - I'd never sniff a gift fish if someone GAVE me one or I won one or something!) I don't (and won't) bash one!

Is that a 'gentle distressing?' I know Ken Ratcliff's distressed Silver Angels look a bit more... well, 'distressed!'

Regardless - that's a beauty - hope you get many years of great enjoyment out of it! Enjoy - and keep on a-pickin'! # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

pickinNgrinnin
Dec-22-2005, 4:29pm
Great looking Mando! The scroll is not bad either http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I suspect this one will be a keeper. Very cool.

Merry Christmas!

Darryl Wolfe
Dec-22-2005, 4:44pm
I didn't see where you mention lacquer or varnish. I know the Bush is lacquer, but that appears to be varnish. What's up

Gail Hester
Dec-22-2005, 4:47pm
Wow Jeremy that is a beautiful and unique instrument, a real treasure. Iím very happy for you and look forward to hearing you play it someday.

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 4:51pm
Oh sorry, it is definitely varnish. #Wayne, the distressing is mostly the finish checking and some small dings here and there. #The finish worn away on the scroll where the strap rubs. #The finish is worn around the edges and where the arm rests on the mandolin as well as the binding on the points being a little rounded off. #It is really hard to capture the distressing the right light in a picture. #I will try to get some better photos in the natural light when it warms up a little.

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 4:51pm
Thanks Gail!

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 5:11pm
Okay, I just took some more pictures and these captured it a little better. I LOVE it!

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 5:13pm
That beautiful backside!

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 5:15pm
More.

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 5:16pm
A few more.

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 5:17pm
Last one for now. Time to play some more!

Mark Walker
Dec-22-2005, 5:21pm
Jeremy - VERY cool. #I can see the 'slight' distress better in those newer pictures pictures. #The back almost looks like a 'satin' finish but quite fine regardless. I almost got my latest mandolin with the distressed look, but settled for the option to 'distress' it myself. #

Your Gibson is surely a KEEPER. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

f5loar
Dec-22-2005, 5:34pm
Wow! Looks like a really nice DMM with a Bush neck. Since the real Hoss don't look anything like the Bush models you've really got a custom F5 here more so than a Bush model. I've always thought they should have made the Bush model what it looked like when new in 1937 and not a cross between what he did to it. In other words build an exact copy of the '37 and if the owner wants to Bush it up let them do it especially since it's nothing like Hoss. Looks like it will get the job done if looks tell the story.

ronlane3
Dec-22-2005, 6:02pm
Jeremy, That is one sweet instrument. How hard was it to convince them to distress the Bush? Is the Neck the same size as the Bush neck, or is it just the a DMM with a Bush fretboard?

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 6:12pm
Thanks Ron, I think it is a sweet instrument also! #It wasn't hard at all to convince them to distress the Bush. #BigJoe has said several times on here that Gibson will do custom work and they obviously do. I am sure they will distress any varnish mandolin they make if you wanted. The neck is the standard Bush neck.

Russ Jordan
Dec-22-2005, 6:58pm
Congratulations, Jeremy. That is a beauty. When you gonna bring her home for a visit?

Jim M.
Dec-22-2005, 7:00pm
Beautiful instrument Jeremy! The Bush model is my favorite new Gibson, and I've been tempted to buy one several times. Looks like it could use a bit more "random hippie sanding", though. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tim Saxton
Dec-22-2005, 7:14pm
Yes just a pinch more random.

phiddlepicker
Dec-22-2005, 8:32pm
WOW, that's an awesome mando. Great to see someone so excited and pleased with their instrument. Hope you have many years together.

man doh
Dec-22-2005, 8:40pm
Nice mandolin Jeremy.

GTison
Dec-22-2005, 8:52pm
Great looking mando, ENJOY. What happened to the old Bush model? Wasn't it refinished in a varnish?

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 8:58pm
The old Bush model was refinished in varnish but it belongs to Gibson now. Thanks again for the compliments and for being nice!

Hal Loflin
Dec-22-2005, 9:35pm
MJ: Is the mic and the hot dot wired together into one jack? Also, how did he attache it to the mandolin (I can't tell from the photos)?

Thanks, Hal

mandoJeremy
Dec-22-2005, 10:08pm
The mic and hot dot are wired stereo to one jack. The hot dot is just wedged between the base and saddle of the bridge and the mic is attached via a bracket that Dave Harvey made.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Dec-22-2005, 11:50pm
Nice. Wish I had my Bush model back.

ShaneJ
Dec-23-2005, 12:26am
Jeremy, somehow I missed this thread earlier today - dang it!

Congratulations on the mandolin of a lifetime, man. That is really beautiful. I love the finish - like you said distressed, but not overdone. I wouldn't call it distressed. Looks more like "old friend". http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

VERY nice!

Keith Wallen
Dec-23-2005, 2:52pm
Congrats Jeremy! Mandoholic stole my thunder because I have been stressing my Bush for about 5 years now as well and I am kind of ashamed to say it looks like yours... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif I love the Bush model!

levin4now
Dec-24-2005, 9:52am
So, next month's mandolin cafe giveaway is Jeremy's other Bush model? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

diamond ace
Dec-24-2005, 9:53pm
WOW! Dang jeremy! I love the back and neck on that thing and if you say it sounds better than your old Bush model then it must realy be amazing. I will be in Nashville next month so I will be comming by for a test drive. PM me your ne phone number.

Congrats again man that thing looks great!

Kbone
Dec-25-2005, 2:13pm
Sweet looking mando - Danny Roberts picked out mine ( previous owner F5G )from a batch in Nashville and it's a beaut, so Danny knows what he's doing.

mandopete
Dec-26-2005, 12:01pm
Nice scroll dude!

Yellowmandolin
Dec-28-2005, 1:17am
Looks great!! I too love the Bush model, but with my puny girlish hands, I just didn't feel confortable with it. Oh, well... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Congrats!!

mandoman4807
Dec-29-2005, 9:37pm
Jeremy,

Great looking mando, and congrats!! I know just what you mean in your description's. I feel the same way about my 2002 Master Model. It is killer, and continues to blow me away each and every time I strike a string on it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Darrell

Monte37
Dec-29-2005, 10:58pm
May I admit my naivity fellow mandoliners, and someone tell me what is actually done to distress a newly built mando? I am almost certain its to make it come new looking old. Does it cost more to do this?

I have been distressing my mando for almost 30 years now..buttons, anchoring my right hand when not using a pick guard, heat, cold, worn varnish on the neck...like an old pair of jeans, I love every mark that makes it mine. But I liked it when it came new and shiney too.

With what we pay for these things these days, I can only say have fun enjoying your new mandolin. Its an awesome feeling when you get one made for you. Ain't no bashin here. Just congrates and do some "distressin" on your own bro!

glauber
Dec-29-2005, 11:14pm
May I admit my naivity fellow mandoliners, and someone tell me what is actually done to distress a newly built mando? I am almost certain its to make it come new looking old. Does it cost more to do this?
It costs extra. Think of somebody making a reproduction of an antique piece of furniture; he'd want it to look old, matching the look of the antique. It's more or less the same thing, the idea is to make it look like an antique (and well played) instrument. AFAIK, this stuff started with violins, when it became too expensive for people to carry and insure their million-dollar instruments; still, they didn't want to show up for work with something looking shiny new, they wanted to keep the look of the old instrument (now safely locked in the vault). So now Gibson can make you a brand new instrument that still looks like it belonged to Bill Monroe.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

What's actually done is secret, but i believe it's mostly some sanding here and there plus some chemical antiquing of the finish (crackling, etc).

mando_pete
Dec-30-2005, 1:37am
Jeremy,

I was in Nashville in August and played every Mandolin on the wall at the Gibson store. The only one that made me sit up and get excited was the Sam Bush model. I would have bought it on the spot, but that would have lead to divorce. I even discussed custom options with them and was near purchase, but had to back off because of the D-word. I envy you and hope you have many great years playing with your new friend.

-- pete

mandoJeremy
Dec-30-2005, 1:52am
Thanks Pete and all you guys for the compliments. While I was at home for Christmas I didn't have a lot to do so I played this thing around 7 or 8 hours a day and I can already tell it is opening up. Of course I can't wait to see how it sounds in a year. Pete, you definitely should get you a Bush model one day. I just love them and the wider neck is much more comfortable to me. I am still kind of just in awe every time I look at this thing and play it.

Professor PT
Dec-30-2005, 2:39am
What's actually done is secret, but i believe it's mostly some sanding here and there plus some chemical antiquing of the finish (crackling, etc).
I promised that I wouldn't quote him here on the cafe, but when a pretty famous mando player came through town last year, I asked him about the DMM. His reply was, "What you're paying ten grand more for is two eggs!" Apparently egg whites can be used to make the finish crackle. This makes sense to me since I recall from high school some football player getting his car egged( his dad's Mercedes )and the finish was ruined. No, I had nothing to do with that!

mandoman4807
Dec-30-2005, 8:08am
[I promised that I wouldn't quote him here on the cafe, but when a pretty famous mando player came through town last year, I asked him about the DMM. #His reply was, "What you're paying ten grand more for is two eggs!" #Apparently egg whites can be used to make the finish crackle.

I`ll take mine over easy http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif..Now thats hilarious!

#

Darrell

mandoJeremy
Jan-15-2006, 1:34am
I thought I would give a small progress report on this mando after three weeks of hard playing. I was sitting in the hotel room last night and grabbed it out of the case for a little late night jamming and it was like a whole new mando. I can't believe this thing at all! Man, what a mandolin and Gibson did some major things right on this thing. Honestly, this thing is about a month old and it really sounds better than my five year old Bush model that I did have and the thing that blows me away is that it isn't even close to being broken in and probably hasn't really started to open up. It has PERFECT tone for my ears and taste and just keeps getting louder. Last night was some kind of epiphany with it for me. I don't know what happened. Maybe it just likes Alabama because I really hadn't noticed the major change back home in TN! I should play here more often. I noticed in another thread that Links was asking about the DMM. All I can say is definitely go for it! Unbelievable and I am still at a loss of words on this thing. Thanks again to Gibson for a dream come true. I am totally rediscovering my obsessive passion and total love for mando again. How to get out of a rut on mando?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif Get your dream mando! Everyone that has seen it is like, "Dude, how old is that thing?" They are very shocked when I tell them a month. It has got the look and the sound to back it up. I have still got to post some pictures that justify this mandolin. I am not a photographer at all but I just wish I could capture this thing to show how it truely looks. I guess I'll keep trying! Thanks for letting me gush over my new love!

Markelberry
Jan-29-2006, 9:30pm
The old Bush model was refinished in varnish but it belongs to Gibson now. #Thanks again for the compliments and for being nice!
Hey Jeremy was it costly to refinish your old mando in varnish? And did it affect the color of the original burst?

Kevin Briggs
Jan-29-2006, 9:48pm
That's a nice rig, man. I still haven't had the pleasure of playing a true Gibson. I've played some Flats and an oval hole Gisbon Mandola from early 19??, but not one of the Gibson mandolins.

I'm sure it sounds awesome and plays dreamily, if that's a good word to use.

Play that thang!

mandoJeremy
Jan-29-2006, 9:48pm
I would hate to quote the varnish refinish wrong because Gibson hadn't had their price increase when I had it done to mine. Contact BigJoe and see what they charge for it now. It's not like super cheap or anything but it is definitely worth it in my opinion. The refinish did not affect the color of the mandolin at all. It may have made it look a little older just because the varnish isn't quite as clear as lacquer clear. It's kind of yellowish I think. You won't notice a difference in the color though at all. The whole process of taking the lacquer off is chemical I think so they don't sand into your color. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions just PM me.

Kevin Briggs
Jan-29-2006, 9:49pm
Nice mandolin, again. Any recordings of it?

mandoJeremy
Jan-29-2006, 9:49pm
It does sound quite awesome and plays very "dreamily".

mandoJeremy
Jan-29-2006, 9:50pm
Not yet. #I am probably going to finish a solo project up sometime this year and this mandolin will be my main one for it. #I have some recordings(not really mine but the band I play in!) but I had to use a loaner mandolin from Gibson on them last year.

Kevin K
Jan-30-2006, 9:28am
Great looking mando, you using Bush strings as well?

mandoJeremy
Jan-30-2006, 12:47pm
Definitely use Bush strings. They are the only string that can hold up to my acid fingers!

diamond ace
Feb-06-2006, 6:14pm
I was able to play this mandolin some at SPBGMA this weekend and it is amazing! Very nice tone and it has that "Hoss" thing going on when Jeremy plays that of beat chop stuff. Love the look and the color on it and the pictures realy do not do it justice. I had to give it back to Jeremy and that was the only thing about it I didn't like. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif The action was a little higher than my mando but that has always been Jeremy's set up. Us North Carolina boys learn how to play 'em high, hard and loud! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Great mandolin and I hope to get to play it again real soon.

Congrats Jeremy on you treasure there. I'm sure this is the one you will have forever.