PDA

View Full Version : Seeking images of Martin bowlbacks

Eugene
Mar-25-2004, 12:16pm
Here is a great long shot, but I think this is the best cyberplace to take such a long shot. I am looking for images or descriptions of four specific mandolins made by Martin late in 1908: style 2 serial numbers 2485, 2486, and 2487 as well as style 4 serial number 2488. These were given style designations, but atypical in being listed as having "side guards." I am curious regarding which type of side guard they sported.

Jim Garber
Mar-25-2004, 1:46pm
Eugene:
Longworth has a list in the back of his book (p. 169) for 1908 saying that there were 5 "unidentified specials" made: (4 Mah., 1 Maple Joints). I am not sure what that means. As far as the side guard goes, std was that it changed in 1917. You prob knew all that already, right?

Did you get these descriptions and serial numbers from a Martin log book?

In my jpeg collection I had this 1910 000 bowlback with a side-guard.

Jim

Eugene
Mar-25-2004, 1:58pm
Indeed, I'm reading from the Martin log. The "maple joints" is the piece of mine you've seen and is equipped with a side guard a la the 1917 and later guitar "teardrop" styles (although "side guard" is not noted in the Martin log on mine). I'm curious regarding the first occurence of the Martin "teardrop" pickguard to become ubiquitous on their later guitars.

Hubert Angaiak
May-10-2004, 2:39pm
This was listed as 1920 Model 00.

Eugene
May-10-2004, 2:47pm
Well, I'm sure it's a tad outside the specific serial range I'm seeking, but you go and enjoy this fine specimen just the same, Hubert...and welcome to the fold! #It looks to be in marvelous condition. #I think I saw you post on this instrument elsewhere, but I can't remember exactly where. #How are you liking it?

Hubert Angaiak
May-10-2004, 2:54pm
Well, the first bowlback I have and I'm working on it to bring out its best... strings bridge height and stuff. Its in great shape and it very playable. I need to learn how to hold it and find a pick that will work well with it as well. It's a neat instrument and anyone who looks down on them don't know what they are missing out. I hope you find your photos.

Alex Timmerman
May-10-2004, 3:31pm
Wonderful in appearance. I like these a lot! Hope to find a good Martin bowl back myself one day.

Alex.

PS. Beautiful tailpiece, Hubert!

Hubert Angaiak
May-10-2004, 5:27pm
trythis (http://bellsouthpwp.com/r/d/rdevelli/Martin%20Style%205%20alt.htm)

I don't know if I got it right but this has some Martin bowl back pictures.

Jim Garber
May-10-2004, 6:36pm
That is our own bobd's site. The owner of a fine Style 5 among others

Jim