PDA

View Full Version : army-navy extreme makeover

oldwave maker
Dec-20-2005, 1:05pm
Holiday greetings to our service personnel, in a perfect world they could buy one of these cheap in any PX. If I'da known it was salvageable, I'da taken some before pics of the waterdamaged bag-o-parts. Yes, its the LP goldtop (reranch spraycan fun!), no, I promise not to do it again. screams real good:

John Flynn
Dec-20-2005, 1:38pm
Great job, Bill! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Nathan Sanders
Dec-20-2005, 2:05pm
Nice looking but is there more to the story on this flat top?

tope
Dec-20-2005, 11:00pm
Yes Bill, what is the rest of the story?

Nathan Sanders
Dec-21-2005, 10:06am
Story? Anyone? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

oldwave maker
Dec-21-2005, 10:56am
Somebody brought the pieces in to Louie's halfway house for wayward mandobasketcases at encore music in albquerque a few years ago. I made it playable again this week as a favor to Louie, since #santa's mandoworkshop had finally been almost completely denuded by ups and I had a few minutes between waiting for parts (your dola tailpiece/armrest got here last night, Pete!) and hupcap guitar repairs. rim was too large for almost separated and shrunken top and #separated waterdamaged shrunken and potatochipped back, bracing gone tho you could see the glueshadow of a single transverse brace under the bridge. the neck, fretboard, frets and neck joint were good. shortened the rim about 1/4" at the endblock, glued the top onto rim, x braced forward of the bridge 1" with unscalloped adirondack, forced the back flat(still has most of the gibson army navy model dy label intact) on rim, which increased the neck angle, #all with fresh hot hide glue, stripped pink and red refin from body, shot black lacquer on back and sides, original red still on neck, reranch lp gold over cheap white can nitro on top, dug thru the bucket of old tuners to find some brass ones with ivoroid buttons #matching the existing peghead holes, made an ebony nut and 1 pc bridge, installed mac suazo indian thunderbird brass tailpiece, strung her up, spanked her a bit, and then went looking for the osha approved earplugs. After further consultation with Louie we decided to forego gibson script "the Louie" peghead inlay and the painted on P90's and bigsby theme.
I usually try to eliminate all stresses in the mating of parts in mandobuilding starting with well seasoned stable wood and unsprung bracing. Thought rasslin' these parts into position would dim this one, the ears say nay, its irritating as a banjo in a unison way...
Anybody got a homeless broken army-navy mandobass they' sell me cheap?

Nathan Sanders
Dec-21-2005, 11:53am
Wow, what a makeover. Should be a TV show.

You know a few months ago there were some Flatiron pancake parts for sale on EBAY. Somebody won them, and I wonder if they have done anything with them yet.

Jim MacDaniel
Jun-20-2008, 4:47pm
[quote=f5dude,Dec. 21 2005, 08:53]Wow, what a makeover. How about Pimp my Pancake? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif