PDA

View Full Version : zorba revisited

jeffshuniak
Mar-25-2004, 12:12pm
I have been asked over and over now to play this song.
I figured out everything but the end, the fast cascading 16th notes .... I have them close to right, but I get it confused with another greek tune with a similar 16th note melody...

does anyone have a quick way of explaining this last part?
I have already asked for standart not. on this, with no luck...
\
at this point I will also accept tab. all I need is the end. even just abc-ing the notes on your keypad could work.

vkioulaphides
Mar-25-2004, 12:21pm
Well, if "1" is the tonic (and the syncopated note right before the cascade begins), then the run goes:

(1--1) 7-2-1-7-6-1-7-6-5-7-6-5-4-6-5-4-3-4-3-#2-3-1

and repeats identically.

The mode is houzam, i.e. major with a sharp second, i.e. C - D# - E - F - G - A - B - C, or whatever transposition you like.

jeffshuniak
Mar-25-2004, 12:37pm
thanks thats perfect

vkioulaphides
Mar-26-2004, 1:42pm
Although you must not have gotten your bouzouki from Dino yet, you can surely imagine how this pattern works on a long-scale instrument: Each group of four 16ths (into which any quarter-beat is divided) lies in one position, as each group spans a third, major or minor (and therefore fits into the usual hand-position). Then, the shifts fall right on each beat, making the rhythmic aspect of this almost automatic.

All that has the desired effect of sounding terribly hard (and presumably impressing audiences with one's virtuosity), while actually being wonderfully idiomatic for the instrument; showmanship at its best!

Mark Simcox
Apr-08-2004, 5:49pm
I'd love a complete tab of this if anyone has it or knows where I can get it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif